RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Unication Forum

Unication Forum - Forum for discussion of Unication products.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth21w View Post
This is what i bought few days ago that i want to trim down.
That's a boatload of antennas
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2018, 9:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio3353 View Post
That's a boatload of antennas
It was his stock he just sold me one lol, hopefully a straight one... Let me know about what cmd comm says about there motorola antenna as they are a unication dealer and would like to know.
Old 07-07-2018, 9:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

The stock antenna does great for the county i live in, but i am very close to being able to pull in the next county over and that is why im looking for a little extra oomph. But the stock antenna is no sloutch
Old 07-07-2018, 9:52 PM

Command communication is about 5 miles from me, antennas are good, but in Houston that stock antenna is garbage on the inside of any building or house. Get a minimum 3 or 4 inch 700/800 antenna, even a off brand ebay one works i tried it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMONITOR View Post
This thread surprises me. Most all the reviews I've read regarding the Unication, remarked on how well the stock stubby antenna worked.
It does receive well. 95% of the time I just use the stubby. It isn't the most ideal antenna for urban listening (in my non-scientific testing).

For those times when I'm going to spend some significant time surrounded by or in tall buildings, I throw on the Motorola NAR6595A. Probably more of a placebo effect created by the "Batwing" but it seems to do a better job.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

98% of the time I use the factory stubby antenna that came with it. But there are times where I use a Motorola stubby 7/800 antenna or a Laird 800 stubby. The Laird is the one on the left in the pic of the two G5's. It does OK but in fringe areas it's not all that great.Name:  IMG_4942.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  32.2 KBName:  IMG_4943.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  124.2 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Ok i just found a authentic motorola 800 4 inch stubby on ebay for 9.50 confirmed part number from

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en...baccessoryinfo

Thanks for everyones help i love my g4 best radio ive ever owned for p25!
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2018, 11:22 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Oh and i ordered the amplified base charger. Im happy now
Old 07-07-2018, 11:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have found that the most vulnerable part of the G series radios is the antenna connection pin. I have had trouble with one of my 5 radios and had to have it replaced for that very reason. I guess I am curious as to why you would not find an antenna that you like and works for your needs, put it on the radio and just leave it on the radio instead of going back-and-forth. On my 5 G5’s I have one in the garage using a bnc adapter and an external antenna, Living in a canyon it is the only way i can hear the VERY complex systems in the greater phoenix valley, but with that G5 it works exceptionally. The one that stays in the car also has a bnc adapter and wears a roofmount NMO 700-800 antenna and misses nothing. The other 3 G5’s wear the Motorola NAR6595 and work great as long as i get up out of the canyon. My point is every one of you guys has a different system/site scenario and just play with different options until you find the sweet spot. If i had all the money I have spent on radios, antennas, yagi’s, coax, adapters and external speakers I could probably buy out Unication!!
Also as a quick side-note if you go the BNC adapter route, from my experience getting the best out there is worth the few extra bucks on the adapter AND the BNC connectors. Make a hell of alot of difference in reception, fit and durability. My preference has always been Amphenol....mac
(As you can see I have a drawer full of stock Unication stubbies if someone needs one)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1100mac View Post
I have found that the most vulnerable part of the G series radios is the antenna connection pin. I have had trouble with one of my 5 radios and had to have it replaced for that very reason. I guess I am curious as to why you would not find an antenna that you like and works for your needs, put it on the radio and just leave it on the radio instead of going back-and-forth. On my 5 G5ís I have one in the garage using a bnc adapter and an external antenna, Living in a canyon it is the only way i can hear the VERY complex systems in the greater phoenix valley, but with that G5 it works exceptionally. The one that stays in the car also has a bnc adapter and wears a roofmount NMO 700-800 antenna and misses nothing. The other 3 G5ís wear the Motorola NAR6595 and work great as long as i get up out of the canyon. My point is every one of you guys has a different system/site scenario and just play with different options until you find the sweet spot. If i had all the money I have spent on radios, antennas, yagiís, coax, adapters and external speakers I could probably buy out Unication!!
Also as a quick side-note if you go the BNC adapter route, from my experience getting the best out there is worth the few extra bucks on the adapter AND the BNC connectors. Make a hell of alot of difference in reception, fit and durability. My preference has always been Amphenol....mac
(As you can see I have a drawer full of stock Unication stubbies if someone needs one)
I have already ordered the bnc adapter as well, i will use all of my bnc antennas as well as the stock and stub. If the 8505241U06 recieves my local system plus the fringe system next county over, the 4 inch moto is not obtrusive enough not to carry daily. If it doesnt then i will use stock daily and rs800 st home. But i will have plenty to test and decide which suites me best.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well there you go,, sounds like you are off and running. And frankly I find that testing is half the fun in this hobby. However since getting Unication radios I miss having to buy a new scanner every 6 months only to find out they didínt work....I guess all we have to test now is antennas, haha.. Also alot of posters here have had good things to say about the RS 800 whip with the adapter on their systems, never tried one here tho..mac
Old 07-08-2018, 6:10 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMONITOR View Post
This thread surprises me. Most all the reviews I've read regarding the Unication, remarked on how well the stock stubby antenna worked.

Why does it surprise you? I noted when I started this that I am at the fringe with a -119dB. I also noted the stubby works surprisingly well BUT that the Moto ant off my XTS5000 (green base) brought my signal to better than -100dB. So for me the 15-20dB improvement was WELL worth it. Our county only has 1 Viper tower, we are really rural.

If you have a strong signal then no need, but if you don't, well then it is worth the effort.
Old 07-08-2018, 6:16 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth21w View Post
Ok i just found a authentic motorola 800 4 inch stubby on ebay for 9.50 confirmed part number from
That's a 800-900 version, the better one is the 700-800 one.
Old 07-08-2018, 8:53 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC3Z View Post
That's a 800-900 version, the better one is the 700-800 one.
My centered frequencies are all 850mhz so i figured it would be right in the middle of 800-900?! 700-800 would be lower for frequencies right?
Old 07-08-2018, 9:27 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Moto 8505241U11 is cut for 764-870 MHz, and is listed as high gain (what ever they consider higher gain).

The Moto 8505241U06 is cut for 806-941 MHz

The Viper system has freqs down into the 760 MHz range so that is why I chose the U11.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:09 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC3Z View Post
The Moto 8505241U11 is cut for 764-870 MHz, and is listed as high gain (what ever they consider higher gain).

The Moto 8505241U06 is cut for 806-941 MHz

The Viper system has freqs down into the 760 MHz range so that is why I chose the U11.
Thats right they probably have about the same gain, just at different frequencies. You got the right one for your 760mhz system.
Old 07-09-2018, 2:49 PM

Someone on here recommended the Motorola 8505241U11 700/800 for the G4 and I purchased and just received one for total of about 8 bucks and trimmed just a little bit of the shroud at the bottom and it looks fantastic AND more importantly the performance is fantastic...I am bringing in a P25 system two counties over from me with full bars and perfect audio...it really is a fantastic combination...the small factory antenna is no slouch either but this one adds a little more umph! Cheers to who recommended.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2018, 4:08 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is my G4 vs my XTS5000 with the same 8505241U11 ($10) antenna. As I noted before I am measuring a solid 15dB improvement over the stock antenna. For fringe areas that is a big deal.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2018, 4:53 PM

Thats 1 long as antenna for a small radio, i have the 4 inch version

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2018, 5:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Didn't have a 4" to test. Any chance anyone with a 4" can measure the RSSI between the stock and a 4"?

Stock to 7" was 15dB.