• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2 System scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

I don't see that happening either simply because of the G5's intended/target audience, that being public safety. For agencies/personnel who use these for call notification purposes, myself included, there would be to big of a chance to miss a page if when it was sent the device was listening to a TG on another system, was changing between control channels checking for traffic, and so on. I have no doubt that it could be implemented as a feature that could be enabled or disabled in the PPS similar to how Motorola does it. But outside of the hobby community I don't see this as a feature that would be widely used by departments because of the chance of missing a page.

However, for those who own their device and use it for both on duty alerting and listening to various systems, which I do especially on vacation, I could see this being a welcomed feature. I'll give you an example..........

This past week we were on vacation at Topsail Island on the coast of North Carolina. Topsail Island actually straddles Onslow and Pender Counties. The Onslow County half of the island uses the Onslow/Jacksonville P25 system whereas the Pender County half uses the NC VIPER P25 system. Majority of my listening was Onslow because our beach house was on that part of the island, however we frequented Pender as well so I would have to switch back and forth between the two. It would've been great to allow it to move between the two on its own.

Now if Unication would decide to release some type of scanner or receiver for the hobby side of things and implement the same technology in them that they have in the G-Series pagers I would think or hope a feature like this would be included. I really think if they'd release something like that they would have no problem taking the lions share of sales in the hobby market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mdsxfire

EDBM
I don't see that happening either simply because of the G5's intended/target audience, that being public safety. For agencies/personnel who use these for call notification purposes, myself included, there would be to big of a chance to miss a page if when it was sent the device was listening to a TG on another system, was changing between control channels checking for traffic, and so on. I have no doubt that it could be implemented as a feature that could be enabled or disabled in the PPS similar to how Motorola does it. But outside of the hobby community I don't see this as a feature that would be widely used by departments because of the chance of missing a page.

However, for those who own their device and use it for both on duty alerting and listening to various systems, which I do especially on vacation, I could see this being a welcomed feature. I'll give you an example..........

This past week we were on vacation at Topsail Island on the coast of North Carolina. Topsail Island actually straddles Onslow and Pender Counties. The Onslow County half of the island uses the Onslow/Jacksonville P25 system whereas the Pender County half uses the NC VIPER P25 system. Majority of my listening was Onslow because our beach house was on that part of the island, however we frequented Pender as well so I would have to switch back and forth between the two. It would've been great to allow it to move between the two on its own.

Now if Unication would decide to release some type of scanner or receiver for the hobby side of things and implement the same technology in them that they have in the G-Series pagers I would think or hope a feature like this would be included. I really think if they'd release something like that they would have no problem taking the lions share of sales in the hobby market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s what I’m saying, if u use ur pager for ur actual dispatch it should be a single zone only, but if the option was there when u are out of town it would be nice. My G5 is my own that I purchase to monitor my FD and our mutual aid towns, problem with that is we sit right at the northwest corner of our county and are half surrounded by another county on a completely different system. We are headed down to Florida in 2 weeks for our annual Disney World. We are in Florida for almost 3 weeks and I have orange and Osceola counties programmed, it would be great to monitor both simultaneously, would be even better if Reedy Creek wasn’t encrypted DMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seth21w

It is a very great idea, and just make it selectable from pps that way if you dont need that feature or say a scan delay feature you dont have to. But it would be nice to have the option.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
because of the G5's intended/target audience, that being public safety. For agencies/personnel who use these for call notification purposes, myself included, there would be to big of a chance to miss a page

Uni1 mentioned in another thread that the pagers can be password protected. If a department/agency/consortium buys the pager, they decide how it is set up and only people authorized to do so should be programming it. If an individual buys it, they should have the common sense to set it up in the way that benefits them best, regardless of intended audience. If it could be made into a user selection in the PPS after a firmware upgrade, I see no reason why they shouldn't/wouldn't do it-a pager sold is a profit made and increasing the attractiveness of your product to appeal to more customers isn't a bad thing.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
We use our G5's for paging notifications. We have our county on 1 system and a surrounding town on another. We could use this feature listening to our apparatus check in service as well as communication with the other town when we go into that town.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
As KM4 said, it probably won't happen. He also addressed one reason why Uniden and Whistler scanners often miss calls. They are switching between control channels.

I occasionally would like to monitor two systems, when I do, I set my scanner to the two I want to monitor.

Personally, I am not sure I would want to see the G4/G5 with such a feature. If it were implemented I wonder how long before someone started complaining about missing calls.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I would have loved to be able to get 2 G4s one 700-800 and one 450-512, then I would just use 2 of them 2 monitor my county and our neighbors,But in order to get 450-512 I have to get a G5

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I would have loved to be able to get 2 G4s one 700-800 and one 450-512, then I would just use 2 of them 2 monitor my county and our neighbors,But in order to get 450-512 I have to get a G5

How wide a spread in the 450-512? If it's conventional only, maybe a G1 could be adapted to your needs.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I am still just hoping for the G5 will release firmware so a conventional channel and talkground can both be monitored at once, (or scanned at the same time) , so I can hear VHF and 800 P25, not VHF or 800 P25 . Having to choose one or the other does me no good, especially since the G5 can receive both VHF and 800 P25. Two towns border each other, I am a member of the FD's in both towns, so I need to listen to both and I really would prefer one pager rather than two.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Phase II is only trunked, no conventional. Somerset County, NJ has a Phase II UHF trunked system.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I tried using multi-system talkgroup in my APX and I found it unreliable. Then again, using a scanner monitoring multiple systems gives me the same results. Regardless of whatever piece of equipment you use, once you factor in two systems with multiple talkgroups in a scan list, you are going to miss traffic.

At an EMS agency I volunteered with, we had to call out with County (on the County frequency) and the Town PD on our EMS repeater. I actually set one zone in my radio to scan just those two channels instead of my regular 16 channel list.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering who is using a P25 Phase II UHF system? And is it conventional? I was under the impression that the specs had only been finalized for trunked systems.

Many DOD systems are set up to be Phase 2 on the DOD 380-420MHz band. They are all trunked systems. Of the seven DOD systems near me, none are Phase 2 at this time. Lots of encryption though. :(

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I am still just hoping for the G5 will release firmware so a conventional channel and talkground can both be monitored at once, (or scanned at the same time) , so I can hear VHF and 800 P25, not VHF or 800 P25 . Having to choose one or the other does me no good, especially since the G5 can receive both VHF and 800 P25. Two towns border each other, I am a member of the FD's in both towns, so I need to listen to both and I really would prefer one pager rather than two.

Your text above says "especially since the G5 can receive both VHF and 800 P25" Technically it can receive one or the other, not both.
If your a member of 2 different FDs then you should have 2 different devices to monitor each.
Its great you personally want to carry 1 device but at any given time traffic can be on 1 device and you will significantly increase your chance of missing traffic on the other. If both are mission critical then you need to dedicate a device for each.
No matter how well a device is built, it can only pass 1 audio path at a time. So trying to monitor two is an unreal expectation.

I saw a pic of a local FD on scene of a fire. The IC had a speaker mic on each shoulder. 1 for dispatch and 1 for fire ground comms. Sure his APX can do much more then that but he realized the devices limitations.
Not the best example but if you get a bad storm up in your area both towns will be affected around the same time. Traffic will increase on both and you will need two radios.
While that may only account for a small portion of time you would need two, it doesnt negate that you want to make sure you get traffic on two different departments on different bands.

But your a subscriber. You are a member of 2 FDs. I am a listener and not responding to emergency calls. So for me id love to see them scan across systems.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Many DOD systems are set up to be Phase 2 on the DOD 380-420MHz band. They are all trunked systems. Of the seven DOD systems near me, none are Phase 2 at this time. Lots of encryption though. :(

The poster indicated he would need a 450-512 range, which precluded the DoD systems. I did get my answer though, Somerset County, which I haven't had the need to listen to in years, but it is knowledge that may come in handy in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.