• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 "RADIO" Tutorial/User Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

There is certainly an abundance of serious help/assistance as to the "programming" phase of the G5 Pagers. This includes published assistance from Unication and knowledgeable answers from expert users here on the RR Forums. What I am NOT finding is similar comprehensive instructions on the operation of the radio itself.

For instance, I can easily understand the function of the top/right On/Off/Volume Knob. Also, the top/center Position # (1-8) Knob is a no-brainer. The Micro USB Port is also easily understood. Well, this leaves, by my count, 10 buttons that are basically a mystery to me.

The "Quick Guide G-Series DIGITAL VOICE PAGER" (One 8.5"X11" colorful glossy page printed on both sides) does picture and number these buttons and names them as follows:

#12) (Upper Left Side) "Reset Key"

#13) (Upper Left Side) "Voice Memo Key (S1)"

#4) (Left Front) "Back Key (F2)"

#5) (Right Front) "Main Menu (F1)"

#2) (Center Front) "Navigation Key" (this appears to be one of those up/down/right/left/center select wiggly buttons?)

#3) (Actually 4 horizontally aligned buttons, 2 to the left of and two to the right of button #2) "Soft Key (K1-K4)".

These last 4 buttons are especially intriguing to me. They are, in a way, labeled on the Pager itself. From left to right (K-1 to K-4?) I see (under significant magnification) on:

K-1, a blue equilateral triangle
K-2, a red isosceles trapezoid
K-3, a yellow circle
K-4, a white convex kite

I think the "naming" convention for these four buttons would be very interesting.

I just did a quick count. I only listed the description of nine mystery buttons, not 10. Ahah, the missing culprit is the little bump on the top/center of the Position # (1-8) Knob. The "Quick Guide" does show a tiny nipple on the top of said knob, but I failed to find any other reference to it. It moves, I hope it is supposed to, lol.

Surely, Unication has some printed assistance available to help me solve these mysteries?They certainly have written their software manuals in a comprehensive and competent manner. Did they leave it to their dealers/sellers to communicate the functions of the radio itself? Trial and error? Forum Experts? YouTube videos? Hopefully, I have just overlooked something that has been staring me in the face.

Thanks for listening!

Last edited:

CFP387

The "little bump" on the top center of the position knob is to recall the last stored voice message received. Stored voice messages can be recalled there or from the message box (MBox) by pressing the key you've labeled "K-1". You must have recorded messages stored for these keys to be functional.

As a side note, I've found it very useful to use the two second delay function for the stored voice button on top the unit. When the delay is turned on, you must press and hold the button for two seconds to recall messages. If the delay is off, the user could (and I have) accidentally hit the button.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I agree they need a user manual for the radios as well as the PPS.

The 5 buttons below the screen are labeled on the screen itself. The Lower left button is 'Back' and the lower right button is 'Main Menu'.

The 'Parameter Description' on the right in the PPS is supposed to be a manual but it is poorly translated and confusing.

CFP387

Did they do away with this delay. I had it for a while, now I don't, and I don't see it in the PPS.

In the newest release of firmware look under number 7 "Pager Configuration" then scroll down to "Play Key Setting". There is an option in the drop down box for either "Click" or "Press 2 seconds".

Status
Not open for further replies.