• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication responds to Phase II in V1.1 concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnicationKelly

Unication Representative
Unication Representative
Hello, my name is Kelly with Unication USA. Below is a response from Unication for customers who have voiced concerns about the release of Phase II in V1.1:

The Earlybird Upgrade option offered in April was in response to the overwhelming demand for an immediate Phase II upgrade solution for customers wishing to upgrade their existing G4/G5 units with Phase II. At that time, there wasn’t a remote updater option available and devices could only be upgraded manually at Unication’s facility.

The early bird upgrade was not designed or priced to be a profitable venture, but rather to offset the various costs that were incurred to facilitate this program in an efficient & streamlined manner. Our goal was simply to provide an upgrade solution at a cost that covered our expenses. In the end, the expenses associated with technical and administrative labor, dedicated receiving/processing/shipping staff, insurance, store fees, early licensing fees and the overall allocation of resources required to provide the upgrade service exceeded any sales revenue collected.

The upgrade offer was optional and like all promotions we offer, there is no guarantee that a better option will not arise in the future. Those that chose to upgrade had the advantage of upgrading and using Phase II on their devices for the past 4 months. In that 4 months, our engineers were able to develop a utility to remotely upgrade, and when the Phase II AMBE+2 vocoder proved to optimize performance on both Phase I and Phase II, the decision was made to extend this optimization across all devices. This decision is an investment in the quality of our products and a singular software benefits the G-Series product line by allowing us to dedicate our resources into further technological development & improvements.

It was tough deciding if we should publicly address this, because historically, there is no right answer in these situations. We appreciate our customers continued support and the entire Unication team truly went above and beyond during the onsite upgrade process. Each unit received was handled with extreme care. We could tell how much you loved your device by the way it arrived, and we did our best to repackage them in the exact same delicate way they were received. We stayed late to make sure devices went out the same day they were received if possible. We even had each unit evaluated while at our facility, replacing batteries in more than 80% of the devices sent in, with several others receiving new antennas, battery door covers, or belt clips if they were needed. If a unit was deemed to be in need of a warranty repair, we got in touch and coordinated that with you so that it didn’t have to make a second trip. We appreciate our customers and wanted to show it. We have so many exciting things planned in the coming months and look forward to sharing them with you!

We welcome anyone to contact us through our website at www.UnicationUSA.com
Thank you.

Hello, my name is Kelly with Unication USA. Below is a response from Unication for customers who have voiced concerns about the release of Phase II in V1.1:

The Earlybird Upgrade option offered in April was in response to the overwhelming demand for an immediate Phase II upgrade solution for customers wishing to upgrade their existing G4/G5 units with Phase II. At that time, there wasn’t a remote updater option available and devices could only be upgraded manually at Unication’s facility.

The early bird upgrade was not designed or priced to be a profitable venture, but rather to offset the various costs that were incurred to facilitate this program in an efficient & streamlined manner. Our goal was simply to provide an upgrade solution at a cost that covered our expenses. In the end, the expenses associated with technical and administrative labor, dedicated receiving/processing/shipping staff, insurance, store fees, early licensing fees and the overall allocation of resources required to provide the upgrade service exceeded any sales revenue collected.

The upgrade offer was optional and like all promotions we offer, there is no guarantee that a better option will not arise in the future. Those that chose to upgrade had the advantage of upgrading and using Phase II on their devices for the past 4 months. In that 4 months, our engineers were able to develop a utility to remotely upgrade, and when the Phase II AMBE+2 vocoder proved to optimize performance on both Phase I and Phase II, the decision was made to extend this optimization across all devices. This decision is an investment in the quality of our products and a singular software benefits the G-Series product line by allowing us to dedicate our resources into further technological development & improvements.

It was tough deciding if we should publicly address this, because historically, there is no right answer in these situations. We appreciate our customers continued support and the entire Unication team truly went above and beyond during the onsite upgrade process. Each unit received was handled with extreme care. We could tell how much you loved your device by the way it arrived, and we did our best to repackage them in the exact same delicate way they were received. We stayed late to make sure devices went out the same day they were received if possible. We even had each unit evaluated while at our facility, replacing batteries in more than 80% of the devices sent in, with several others receiving new antennas, battery door covers, or belt clips if they were needed. If a unit was deemed to be in need of a warranty repair, we got in touch and coordinated that with you so that it didn’t have to make a second trip. We appreciate our customers and wanted to show it. We have so many exciting things planned in the coming months and look forward to sharing them with you!

Thank you.

Keep up the Good Work i have YET to have my G5 VHF firmware done my Laptop will not do it and i'm VERY happy to own the Pager..

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

Thank you.

Thanks for the information.

And imagine that...Unication suggests to contact them directly, just like I suggested several posts up. :wink:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Free Phase II vs Paid $

I'm happy I was able to get Phase II when I did, even though I had to pay for it. The fact the company decided later on to do things differently doesn't make me angry in the least bit. IF I feel like complaining? I have an older unnamed (scanner) sitting here that cost $500 that fails miserably on nearly everything it was advertised as. So that's life. I haven't put my G5 v down since I got it. Thanks Unication for a superior product.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the post Kelly.
We hope we see more of you on here.
We get tired of dealing with David and now Tim all the time (of course I am kidding).
We welcome you to RR hope you check in often.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I appreciate you coming on the boards and addressing the issue. That shows something to myself and others.

On the tech side, please see the radio ID bug issue being talked about in the threads. So far, this has been the only bug I’ve found with the new firmware and I really run your device hard on numerous systems everyday.

You mentioned exciting new things in the future. While we know you can divulge future updates, you need to take into consideration some of the many requests that have been discussed on these threads such as talkgroup hold, nuisance delete, encryption muting, etc. We know these little things require a lot of engineering, but it’s the little things that matter to some.

The PPS really needs some attention. Again, little things like being able to move talkgroups up or down to to sort them, or being able to assign them to a specific system so duplicate names are allowed. Once I label something POLICE 1 and cannot use that same label on any of the other 63 systems in my device. Just some suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I've had a certain Unication person (who most probably haven't heard of) that has reached out to me to discuss certain issues on several occasions and he is a genuinely good guy who you can tell is very proud of his company, and their products. He and I both did SDS100 vs. Gx comparisons, and shared our results throughout the process (we both reached the same conclusions, and had the same exact results if you are wondering).

These people care, they listen, and they respond. I'm quite impressed with Unication as a company.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
These people care, they listen, and they respond. I'm quite impressed with Unication as a company.

I second this 100%. I have interacted with Kelly on a few occasions and have nothing but good things to say about the experiences.

hiddenrun

Premium Subscriber

I agree Unication is a great company.

When I first saw an advertisement letter from Unication advertising the Unication G1 analog pager, I just knew it was a great product.

I received the first Unication Pager in my County and NEVER looked back! Now with the G4 and G5 for our P25 Digital Trunking Simulcast woes, it is even better.

Thank you Kelly for the update!
I am proud to be a early Phase II upgrader and Proud to see Unication making progress.

Thank you again and keep up the good work. Looking forward to see what you can offer in the future.

seth21w

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums Unication Kelly! Thank you for the V1.1 update! Looking forward to future update features to come and I am loving my G4! Best receiver I've ever had in the 800mhz.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

Thank you.
I guess I was correct in my similar post #127 (although I'm not quite as articulate as you are). Thanks for making a great product and providing the recent updates. Now your engineers have time to work on hold and delay features ;)

I would have made your statement in it's own thread though as it may get missed by many, deep in this large thread.

Last edited:

bgav

Premium Subscriber
I'm not a Unication customer yet but seeing the way they handled this situation with their response and explanation posted above, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one of their products in the future.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

Thank you.

Thank you for responding in these forums - one purpose they serve is to facilitate discussion of both the good and bad aspects of a product and the company - which is essentially the definition of "forum." (a public meeting place for open discussion.)

I will be contacting you via your website as suggested.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hi Kelly, thanks for stepping in. Please do come back.

I have talked with Kelly, when I had called the company, a year or so ago, and was very helpful.

Sent using Tapatalk

kinglou0

What an excellent post from Kelly/Unication.

I've been away from regular access to the Internet for a little bit and was just catching up on the going-ons since mid July.

I don't care that I paid more for my G5 PII pager. I waited years to get one and once the option to pre-order one became available, I jumped at the chance. It has been worth every single cent and certainly don't feel like I've been cheated in anyway.

I really appreciate that Unication has decided to go the route they've chosen unlike some other companies that would value even the smallest amounts of revenue over user satisfaction and building a product that can be counted on.

Unication has earned my loyalty with this move.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I am very impressed with this official response. No excuses offered, everything behind their business decision, which they were under no obligation to share, is sound and Unication clearly cares about their public image, even though radio hobbyists aren't their core market, they still took time to respond to the concerns.

As a Unication G5 demo user, I am very pleased with this product the way it performs on our Motorola Astro 25 7.16 simulcast. Performance rivals and in some cases, exceeds that of our Motorola and JVC Kenwood P-25 subscriber radios. The build quality and performance of this product as a professional paging and monitor receiver is superb for P-25 linear simulcast systems such as ours.

mdsxfire

EDBM

Thank you.

Thumbs up Unication!!! Love my G5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimco

I think everyone who has dealt with the folks at Unication comes away assured that they appreciate their customers. When you consider that hobbyists are only a tiny portion of their customer base, it's even more impressive that they pay attention to us at all. (I know that many in this forum are first-responders.)

I'm also pretty impressed by Unication customers that are hanging out here. Plenty of people paid for the Phase II upgrade, and many Internet communities would be raising you-know-what after Unication's decision, but that doesn't happen here. The mutual respect between Unication and its customers is nice to see.

I'm sitting here looking at a scanner that I paid hundreds of dollars for, and it's pretty much a worthless door stop. The company that sold it to me couldn't possibly care less. Sitting next to it is my G5. I've had it for a while now, and I still find myself saying (to myself), "I love this radio." I know that makes me a geek, but I'm married already, so why do I care. :)

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.