• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2-Tone Protocol Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
I have one department with a 5 second long tone, and all the others use QCII. I am using the following two tone settings, but they will only decode the long tone, and not the short tones. Looking for any assistance.

Attachments

• 2tone.png
    2tone.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 458

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried setting the "Tone Table:" to Motorola to ensure your decoding the correct QCII group? If that change works, you may need to set up two different tone protocols...one for QCII, another for the long tone.

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried setting the "Tone Table:" to Motorola to ensure your decoding the correct QCII group? If that change works, you may need to set up two different tone protocols...one for QCII, another for the long tone.

I have went to the Motorola table. It works for decoding the two tone but not the long tone. It is not a standard long tone, but it is a 5 second single frequency tone. I am able to massage the timings to get the long tone to recognize, but then it no longer does the short tones.

I don't want to do two protocols, because then I cannot get the alert for both departments on the same knob.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
I have went to the Motorola table. It works for decoding the two tone but not the long tone. It is not a standard long tone, but it is a 5 second single frequency tone. I am able to massage the timings to get the long tone to recognize, but then it no longer does the short tones.

I don't want to do two protocols, because then I cannot get the alert for both departments on the same knob.

Yes, you can get the alerts on a single knob...here's how: Create the two protocol alias', one for Motorola QCII, one for the custom long tone. Set up the two frequencies with the proper tones in the group ID area. Now create a zone position for each freq. using selective calling. Finally, create a knob position using silent scan with pointers to the other zone positions. The last position is the one you'll keep active.
I use this method to monitor paging in two departments on different freqs. It works!

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can get the alerts on a single knob...here's how: Create the two protocol alias', one for Motorola QCII, one for the custom long tone. Set up the two frequencies with the proper tones in the group ID area. Now create a zone position for each freq. using selective calling. Finally, create a knob position using silent scan with pointers to the other zone positions. The last position is the one you'll keep active.

I use this method to monitor paging in two departments on different freqs. It works!

I did try that. However I would miss call, because it would lock in on the channel that did not have that prprotocol set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
I did try that. However I would miss call, because it would lock in on the channel that did not have that prprotocol set.

The only other remedy I can think of that may help is set up as I suggested, then experiment with the reset mode/delay timers in the knob function area. You might find a "sweet spot".

Scanning two (or more) freqs. will always be a bit of a gamble in regards to missing a call. Even with the suggested setup, I miss calls because the two depts. have a mutual aid arrangement and can dispatch at the same time. A Gx with two VFOs would help!

vocoder

It seems as though long tone or custom tone adjustments changes things for the short tones. I have mine set with silent scan for custom long tone on one knob zn1 and motorola default short tone on another knob zn2. Scans 2 different knob clicks, each with the same freq but a different protocol. Like k3sls, but the same freq for both. It works ok

You might have to tweak the short tone settings to motorola qc spec
I had to tweak short tone settings to match a moto set here for a mutual aid dept

73, john

Last edited:

vocoder

Have you changed any other long tone settings other than the 5k duration?

Did you try to copy the short tone settings from the moto table, into the custom table?

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
Have you changed any other long tone settings other than the 5k duration?

Did you try to copy the short tone settings from the moto table, into the custom table?

My current settings are the mototable with the longtone set to 5k.

I am hoping there is a sweet spot in there somewhere, I keep looking for.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
You definitely do not want your Long Tone RX Timeout to be shorter than 3200 ms. use the below formula for Analog 2 tone settings

optimal range for the Rx Timeout:
(Tone 1 Duration – Signaling Activity Timeout) + Gap 1 duration + Tone 2 Duration – Signal Detect Wait Time ≧ Rx Timeout ≧ Tone 1 Duration + Gap 1 duration

so for your current setting you would want to set the long tone RX Timeout to about 4400 ms

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 290

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
You definitely do not want your Long Tone RX Timeout to be shorter than 3200 ms. use the below formula for Analog 2 tone settings

optimal range for the Rx Timeout:

(Tone 1 Duration – Signaling Activity Timeout) + Gap 1 duration + Tone 2 Duration – Signal Detect Wait Time Rx Timeout Tone 1 Duration + Gap 1 duration

so for your current setting you would want to set the long tone RX Timeout to about 4400 ms

This is awesome, thanks!

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
Did these settings help solve your issue? I have been dealing with a very similar issue relating to a long tone decoding problem possibly related to timing.

THX

Status
Not open for further replies.