• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Three Lights and Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimco

When I woke up this morning, I had two orange lights and one red light on my G5. (The pager was in the desktop charger and should have a full charge.) Cycling power had no effect, so I removed the battery and put it back in. Now the pager is dead. No lights. Nothing.

I'm guessing it's a battery failure and I'm ordering a new one. Has anyone else experienced this?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
When I woke up this morning, I had two orange lights and one red light on my G5. (The pager was in the desktop charger and should have a full charge.) Cycling power had no effect, so I removed the battery and put it back in. Now the pager is dead. No lights. Nothing.

I'm guessing it's a battery failure and I'm ordering a new one. Has anyone else experienced this?

How long did you leave the battery out of the G5?
I've seen some posts that seem to indicate it could take a couple minutes for everything to discharge completely. Not sure I believe that myself but I guess it could be true if there are large capacitors used in the design. Worth a try leaving the battery out for 5 minutes or so I guess.

I also recall reading a post here where Unication changed the battery technology used at some point within the last couple years. I forget if the polymer type is the latest type or another is the latest but someone reported Unication swapped their older type to the current type for free after their battery had failed. Might be worth checking with Unication on this.

Jimco

Thanks. After I posted this, I got to thinking that maybe the problem is as simple as it appears in the pager was just not sitting properly in the charger overnight. I put it back in the charger and it told me that it had a very low battery, so I’m charging it now to see if that’s what the problem was. I appreciate the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. After I posted this, I got to thinking that maybe the problem is as simple as it appears in the pager was just not sitting properly in the charger overnight. I put it back in the charger and it told me that it had a very low battery, so I’m charging it now to see if that’s what the problem was. I appreciate the response.

Good luck! Hopefully that will fix er up. I've had issues with what appeared to be bad connections between the charging base and my G5 before.
Usually just reinserting into the base fixes this but I've also cleaned the contacts before on the G5 bottom and very gently, the contacts in the base unit using a clean pencil eraser.

NebraskaCoder

Normally just needs the battery out for a few minutes and then charged for many hours.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jimco

In case anyone else has this happen, it was a completely dead battery. Apparently I didn’t place it on the charger just right.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If there is a battery failure, you will probably see a notable swelling of the battery case. It was pretty common, but now they seem to be more reliable.

Sent using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
They went from Li-Poly to Li-Ion batteries.
Swelling of battery does indicate its going bad.
Glad it was just a seating in the charger issue and not something else

Status
Not open for further replies.