• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Old School Programming. G4 G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robotech2112

Carbon Unit.
Premium Subscriber
I love programming my Uniden units the old school way by manual keyboard entries,

QUESTION: Can I program a P25 Phase I System manually using the keyboard on these G4 and G5 units?

Thanks.

goodmore

You use PPS software. Plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how. It is a pager with scanning ability. Remember that. Very limited on what it does. It sounds great on simulcast.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The G4/G5s are pagers not scanners, so they don't have keyboards. They are easily programmed with the PPS..I find it about as easy as Uniden's Sentinel. The Unications have superior P25 simulcast reception and decode in Phases I and II, and I regularly receive P25 sites from 40+ miles away. They wear comfortably on the belt with a small form factor and antenna. If you mainly listen to a P25 system there is nothing better.

Robotech2112

Carbon Unit.
Premium Subscriber
My goal is to program 2 or 3 P25 systems in Michigan have the ability to toggle the systems in or out and have the ability to listen to only some talk groups within these systems and toggle those in or out and to scan multiple talk groups within a system... will this unit accomplish these goals? If I purchase a unification unit what will I miss the most that a scanner has that these do not ?

I am trying to figure out what I am gaining versus what I am giving up going from unidenn to unication and yes Simulcast distortion is the number one reason I'm considering the switch. Pardon grammar and punctuation I am using voice to text on a smartphone in poor lighting

goodmore

Currently I have three different county P25 systems loaded into my G5. I can switch between the counties with the menu. One county is (My county) broken down into different groups among the eight channel positions.

The County to the west of me is listened to with only one wildcard TG. I hear it all. My choice to do that.

The County to the EAST OF ME I have broken down into four different channels. POLICE....FIRE.....EMS AND INTEROP.

So yes to YOUR question.

What are you gaining? Clarity on P25. A strong receiver....All three counties Monitored with a Motorola antenna for 700/800 MHZ. Basically 6 inch antenna.
Losing? A wide range of frequencies and other things a scanner offers.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
My goal is to program 2 or 3 P25 systems in Michigan have the ability to toggle the systems in or out and have the ability to listen to only some talk groups within these systems and toggle those in or out and to scan multiple talk groups within a system... will this unit accomplish these goals? If I purchase a unification unit what will I miss the most that a scanner has that these do not ?

I am trying to figure out what I am gaining versus what I am giving up going from unidenn to unication and yes Simulcast distortion is the number one reason I'm considering the switch. Pardon grammar and punctuation I am using voice to text on a smartphone in poor lighting

You can program 2 or 3 systems, but only listen to one at a time. You can only listen to P25 or conventional, not both at once.

You can program systems and TGs into knob positions (channels), 8 per zone, and use these to toggle between systems and TGs. There is no toggle, you just change knob positions.

You can scan multiple TGs but remember there is no hold or delay.

There is a TG priority system. You can get creative with your TG priority programming to make up for this.

I have 7 fire battalions, I program into channels 1-7, and put dispatch into 8. The police have 5 PD zones I program into channels 1-5. Channel 6 is their tac channels, 7 is all PD zones, 8 is SWAT.

I set up the radio zones by department or geographically. I have a zone for each county. I routinely receive counties 40+ miles away with the stock 1 inch antenna, and inside the car. The simulcast decode and reception range is way beyond any scanner, you just have to be creative with your TG programming.

Last edited:

mitbr

I love my Unication G5 smartest receiver I ever bought. When I turned it on for the first time after programming it I couldn't believe the clarity and ability for it to pick up very distant P25 data signals.With creative programming I feel this pager functions the same as my many scanners.
Best thing I have bought in my 40 years of buying scanners!!
Tim

minasha

Unication

I keep reading about the incredible sensitivity of the G5. I have a Uniden bcd325p2 If I am receiving a p25 system the sweet spot is a few inches to a foot any more and I lose signal. Are you saying the G5 will lock onto a p25 LSM signal and hold steady throughout the room?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Old school -program of G4/G5

Better than the scanners? Yes. Not only will it be seamless in reception from room to room, it is like that MOBILE best of all. I went on a 9 county trip, punched in all the control channels ahead of time and talk-groups for each. It never burped, never dropped a call all just using the stub antenna sitting in the drink holder. No outside antenna needed. It can do that because it's MADE correctly for the P25 simulcast systems. It's like having a police/fire radio the pros use at work. The claims of long distance are true as it just matters what height you have that Yagi at. Mine is simply in a closet pointing north and I get the Starcom21 statewide system a county away - 25 miles? maybe more. I get the county to the south 20 miles simply using an aftermarket Motorola 3.5 inch antenna instead of the stub antenna it comes with. I LAUGH when I am forced sometimes to carry my unnamed "scanner" trying to get the same system. It reminds me of WHY I gave up on scanners and got the right tool for the right job (P25) in Unication. Love to see them make a "scanner" too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.