3rd party usb prgraming cable not showing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If your PC didn't see the cable, you need drivers. These are programs that make USB ports essentially look like COM ports. What Windows OS are you running? Did you look at Device Manager to see if anything was there?

I don't see anything on that link - perhaps others would have better luck...Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Does this cable require any type of driver to be installed?

Unfortunately the picture associated with the link doesn't show the full length of the cable. Thus I couldn't tell if it has a middle piece, which I think contains a chipset. The link below shows that middle piece.

USB Cable for all Uniden DMA Scanners

I'm thinking there has to be some kind of chipset in the cable so the computer and scanner will communicate with each other. Drivers for these cables must be installed prior to connecting the cable or the computer will not recognize the cable.

voxiso

I was never told about any drivers.. The seller told me to plug it in and Windows should see that a USB cable was connected.. I see NOTHING at all when I plug it in. It does not tell me nothing about a driver. I plug it in and nothing..

voxiso

If your PC didn't see the cable, you need drivers. These are programs that make USB ports essentially look like COM ports. What Windows OS are you running? Did you look at Device Manager to see if anything was there?

I don't see anything on that link - perhaps others would have better luck...Mike

Device Manager I refreshed after hooking up.. It did not show nothing. Windows 8/8.1 I know I may need drivers but Windows should see a USB connection was made right?

voxiso

As I type this I just hooked it to my Windows 7 laptop.. Nothing is showing up at all..Is there some sort of setting in the scanner? Otherwise this cable is dead..

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
no luck.. I guess I got ripped off. ;/

This quote:

"Note that some very inexpensive converter cables (<$10) are available, but many of them use counterfeit chipsets. Prolific has, with their latest driver release, made their drivers incompatible with any but authentic chips. Uniden's USB-1 cable, as well as cables provided by GRE and RadioShack use only authentic chipsets, and are more likely to include continued forward support. "

Is from this section of the WIKI:

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
no luck.. I guess I got ripped off. ;/
Take a look at the Uniden cable on ScannerMaster's page.
Uniden USB Cable
(Uniden's page here)

See that cylindrical bulge in the cable in the middle? Does your cable have that? If it does not, or only has a small 'bump' (like an RF choke), then you did not get the correct cable to use for pc programming. The scanner itself is not a valid USB device as far as the computer is concerned. That's what the 'bulge' in the cable is, a small chip set. The chips themselves, after the correct drivers are installed, show up in the pc as a virtual serial port, which is then used for pc/scanner communication, whether for programming, firmware upgrades, or virtual controls.

If it's still within 30 days, ask for your money back, especially since the product was misrepresented. Without actually seeing the full cable you got, instead of just the two connector ends on the eBay page linked, I suspect that the cable you bought was simply that: a cable. Nothing more; none of the required circuitry needed to be recognized by the pc, which is why loading the drivers made zero difference.A plain cable, whit it appears you got, needs no drivers, The correct cable does need drivers.

You can obtain the correct cable, Uniden's USB-1, from ScanerMaster, Uniden, or other sources. However, if you have the serial programming cable that came with the scanner, see Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki. There are a number of USB->Serial adapters available to let you use the original cable.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
This quote:

"Note that some very inexpensive converter cables (<$10) are available, but many of them use counterfeit chipsets. Prolific has, with their latest driver release, made their drivers incompatible with any but authentic chips. Uniden's USB-1 cable, as well as cables provided by GRE and RadioShack use only authentic chipsets, and are more likely to include continued forward support. "

Is from this section of the WIKI:

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Yep, that is the other possibility. Without seeing a full picture if the actual cable received, it's a toss up whether it's a case of "plain cable only" (correct ends, but none of the electronic components), or counterfeit components.

voxiso

Take a look at the Uniden cable on ScannerMaster's page.
Uniden USB Cable
(Uniden's page here)

See that cylindrical bulge in the cable in the middle? Does your cable have that? If it does not, or only has a small 'bump' (like an RF choke), then you did not get the correct cable to use for pc programming. The scanner itself is not a valid USB device as far as the computer is concerned. That's what the 'bulge' in the cable is, a small chip set. The chips themselves, after the correct drivers are installed, show up in the pc as a virtual serial port, which is then used for pc/scanner communication, whether for programming, firmware upgrades, or virtual controls.

If it's still within 30 days, ask for your money back, especially since the product was misrepresented. Without actually seeing the full cable you got, instead of just the two connector ends on the eBay page linked, I suspect that the cable you bought was simply that: a cable. Nothing more; none of the required circuitry needed to be recognized by the pc, which is why loading the drivers made zero difference.A plain cable, whit it appears you got, needs no drivers, The correct cable does need drivers.

You can obtain the correct cable, Uniden's USB-1, from ScanerMaster, Uniden, or other sources. However, if you have the serial programming cable that came with the scanner, see Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki. There are a number of USB->Serial adapters available to let you use the original cable.

It has a bulge on each end

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Device Manager I refreshed after hooking up.. It did not show nothing. Windows 8/8.1 I know I may need drivers but Windows should see a USB connection was made right?

Actually, you should be looking to see if a COM port has been established in Windows Device Manager..... under Ports (COM & LPT). A proper installation of the cable and drivers will add a COM port to the Windows Device Manager, not an additional listing under USB devices.

mikepdx

Is it possible to get a sticky created on this subject?
Or maybe a wiki page with all the FAQ's and links to drivers/help?

Virtually this same question has been asked
and answered multiple times in multiple threads.
Seems to be a weekly or better phenomenon.
A SELF-HELP page or pages would be wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.