BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Antenna connecter

Status
Not open for further replies.

robman50

What does the antenna of this unit look like? Can I connect an RG-6/59 coax to it or will I need a special adapter? I don't even know if it is an BNC male or female port or if a coax can connect to it.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Standard BNC female (on the radio)
Check the specs at BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

Back picture,
unidenbcd996xt_back.jpg

Last edited:

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
You will need a BNC male connector. Very common connector on most scanning antenna's.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
These connectors are readily available at Radio Shack or on-line.

Whenever I get new connectors, I get two or three. I usually "mess up" the first one of two when making up the connection, so a spare or two is good to have. Also I leave a little extra slack in the cable for re-connecting purposes should the need arise.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What does the antenna of this unit look like? Can I connect an RG-6/59 coax to it or will I need a special adapter? I don't even know if it is an BNC male or female port or if a coax can connect to it.

If your RG-6 already has the common Type F connector on it, then you could use a BNC Male-to-F Female adapter.

Last edited:

ksnwireless

It's my opinion that due to the impedance mismatch, you would be better off with RG58, or better yet RG8. Your radio is meant for a 52 ohm impedance, not a 75 ohm impedance. Adapters are easy to find, for adapting to BNC. But between length, impedance, and frequency, I would not use RG6. -73- Kevin

robman50

Yeah my current setup is just a temp setup though. It's more for OTA TV/FM and it's all 75 ohms. It also sucks that its all directional which an proper antenna at 50 ohms isn't?
I will eventually get a proper setup because it is a little disappointing how little there is out there.

ksnwireless

There are 52 ohm directional antennas available. They're great for receiving distant stations. For local use, there are easy to make vertical antennas, that can be small in size, if you wish. Even a 1/4 wave discone antenna at 52 ohms. Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.