HP-2 or BCD436HP for a travel scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

So I'm in a dilemma, I am a proud owner of the homepatrol-1 for 2 years but with systems migrating to P25 phase 2 across the country, I want to sell my HP-1 and buy either a HP-2 or bCd436HP for my travel needs. Will be mostly monitoring in my hotel room and a little in the car (I like my road trip music) lol.

So I'm stuck, I don't know which one to get.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I have the HP1 and both x36HP's. Liked the color display and touch interface on the HP1 but, the x36HP's have the quick keys, startup configurations and priority channels that the HP1 does not.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I vote for the 436 also. You can also put it in a belt holster for walkabout use, something that would not work well with a HP-2.

XTS3000

I'd vote for the 436HP. It's just more portable for travel. The 436HP operates slightly longer on the same set of batteries.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Another vote for the 436 if you plan to take it anywhere by hand. The HP form factor just doesn't lend itself to portability (except in carrying it from one install location to another).

Having said that, if you are absolutely certain you will only ever use it on a desk somewhere and/or in your car, the HP2 will be fine as well - you can get a cradle mount for the car and just prop the radio up on the desk when indoors.

phask

Premium Subscriber
One feature for any... It's ez to use one if the external USN power packs. With a 30 buck pack you could run a HPII for days. As long as you don't mind a power pack in your pocket.

stingray327

I find the 436 very difficult to see the screen. Difficult to operate in the dark just to turn it on or off because you can hit the wrong button. Adjusting the squelch using multi-function knob in conjunction with volume control is difficult.
I will check out the HP-2 for the car since the screen is in color and is suppose to be easier to see and operate.

Danny37

Thank you for your input, mainly as a travel unit the 436hp is much more practical now I need a good telescoping or high gain antenna for this unit, any recommendations?

Danny37

I say the 436!!... But what do I know?! Wait the 436 has the RF filter right?

Yes, I believe the 436 and 536 have the rf filter, you can imagine the craziness the hp-1 gives me being in NYC with heavy RF. I also hear the HP-2 doesn't have the RF filter too.

stingray327

Thank you for your input, mainly as a travel unit the 436hp is much more practical now I need a good telescoping or high gain antenna for this unit, any recommendations?

I find that the telescoping center loaded antenna from RS works the best on the handheld. It costs alot less than the more expensive brands and outperforms them too.

AC2OY

Stingray I was going to say the same thing from all the reviews I read the RS antenna is always rated very good! Danny if you come to the NYC area bring a ham rig so we can chat!!!

VE3RADIO

With the HP2 you have to buy an upgrade to search.. if your in a new area you might want to search.. go for the 436.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Quick questions on the BCD436, does the box include the PC Programming cable? The reason I ask is Amazon is selling a PC cable separately. The obvious answer is yes but I have to double check. Also will the current version Sentinel that works with the HP-1 also work with the BCD436? Or do I have to download a different Sentinel version specific to the BCD436..

Many thanks for these dumb questions.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Quick questions on the BCD436, does the box include the PC Programming cable? The reason I ask is Amazon is selling a PC cable separately. The obvious answer is yes but I have to double check. Also will the current version Sentinel that works with the HP-1 also work with the BCD436? Or do I have to download a different Sentinel version specific to the BCD436..

Many thanks for these dumb questions.
The 436, as well as the 536, comes with the programming cable.

I've seen the Amazon page you're referring to. They are listing the USB-1 cable as "bought with" the 436, which is wrong. It is not used at all on either the BCD436HP or BCD536HP, only for the older DMA scanners, such as the 396XT, 996XT, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.