RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Prospective Owners

Uniden Prospective Owners - A discussion area for those interested in purchasing specific models and have questions about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2015, 8:26 PM

Default Almost total newb...

This is for prospective owners.. ok I get that. I actually ordered, but it hasn't shipped yet (but any minute now unless I change it!)

I live in Winnebago County, Illinois. Police are using the Starcomm 25 / P25 digital system? am I saying that right? I'm a photographer that will be shooting for the local FIRE department. I can get calls (poor reception) on my 20+ year old bearcat scanner. So I wanted something better, digital, and that I could hear police because a unit of the police department is asking me to respond and do publicity photos for them as well...

SO... I ordered a Uniden BCD396XT:
The BCD396XT comes equipped with Uniden exclusive features like Advanced Dynamic Memory System, Close Call RF Capture Technology, and GPS compatibility.

TrunkTracker IV (Motorola APCO 25 Digital, Motorola, EDACS, LTR) - Lets you monitor all of the major types of communications systems used by public safety, local government, amateur radio operators, and more.

25000 Dynamically Allocated Channels - Room for all your local systems and more.

Close CallŪ RF Capture Technology - Instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters

Location-Based Scanning - Connect an optional GPS for automatic channel selection.

Continuous Band Coverage - 25MHz to 1.3GHz Excluding UHF TV and Cellular Alpha Tagging

100 Quick Key System Access

Band Scope - Graphically finds radio activity

Compact Size

Audio AGC

Automatic Digital Threshold Adjustment

Temporary Lockout - Lets you temporarily lockout noisy channels.

Search with Scan

NAC Decoding - for conventional P25 channels

DCS/CTCSS Rapid Decode - Instantly Detects and Displays the Subaudible Tone So You Can Quickly
Determine the System Settings.

S.A.M.E. Weather Alert - Specific Area Message Encoding - During a NOAA Weather or Emergency Alert, a code for your specific location will alert you to severe conditions in your immediate area.

Fire Tone-Out

Multi-Colored Display Backlight

Public Safety Scanner

System / Channel Number Tagging - provides rapid access to a specific system or channel

Compatible with BC-RH96 Remote Head

Individual Channel Volume Offset

Priority ID Scan on trunked systems

Of course, I don't see it now, but some site somewhere I'm sure I read this is good for the Illinois Starcomm 25 system? Correct? idk what 99% of that description up there is talking about. I just want good clear calls so I can be there to get the photos the departments want. Will this do the job like I'm thinking it will? Any responses are GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored links

Tags
bcd396xt, winnebago county