BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Differences in 996XT to 996P2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgesteve

Besides the obvious face plate, digital phase 2 and USB port, what are the other differences between the Xt and P2? As I have the 996XT and am considering upgrading. Any opinions on how it performs are also greatly appreciated

QDP2012

The above information and a link to this thread have been added to the BCD996P2 RR Wiki page, so more people can learn about this.

Thanks for sharing.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
If you are using remote head with the 996XT, it will not work with the 996P2.

The serial driver for the 996P2 is a little different, since it's using USB. I use a program to control my BCT15X, 996XTS, and now 996P2s. However, when the 996P2 is off, the serial port goes away in the computer's eyes, and the software, which is a expecting the serial port to be there hiccups. Yes, the program could do things differently, but it isn't an issue with the older scanners.

I don't think the 996P2 is as good as a receiver(including simulcast p25) as the BCD536HP/BCD436HP. However, I think it's a good value for the prices available currently. If you were using the remote head or serial to control, I don't think you'd notice any difference in using the 996P2 via the keypad, and you'll be able to hear Phase 2(although a little muffled).

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Does the P2 have a different VOCODER thingy? Besides getting new firmware updates, is P25 simulcast or trunking receive any better in the decode department? My local P25 SmartZone wide simulcast system, anywhere near cell towers is practically unusable.

I need to select new news desk scanners for my station to replace our 996XT's, but the assignment editors cannot be trusted to be able to touch a 536HP or TRX-2 without rendering the radio unusable. I work nights and have to be woken up frequently in the middle of the day with someone asking why a 996XT is stuck on a HAM or similar search, locked up listening to Tijuana taxi cabs in Mexico! The 996's are the easiest to operate scanners EVER!

Paul

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
They use different Vocoder software modules (vocoder is implemented in the DSP thingy). To do so, the P2 also has an upgraded CPU/DSP. No other substantive hardware design differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.