Warning : Amazon shipped me a Used BC780xlt in BCD536HP box

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Thank goodness for Amazon Return Policy.

Today I got their PRIME BCD536HP for $508.93 + Tax - main listing for this scanner

It came in a sealed BCD536HP Box - opened it up...and wow - it was a USED BC780xlt....
I heard of someone else having this exact issue. (on this forum)

Very disappointed maybe it is worth paying more to buy from someone like ScannerMaster.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Sold by amazon? Fulfilled by Amazon? or 3rd party?

The main listing (for 508.93) is showing shipped and sold by Amazon.

That is just crazy. I've bought lots of electronics over the years from Amazon and I usually try to make sure they are shipped and sold by Amazon if possible. I've always had pretty good confidence that the item I receive will be brand new in an unopened box, and luckily that has always been the case for me. Seeing this happen to multiple folks is concerning.

Rred

As posted in that other thread, Amazon has openly but quietly acknowledged a major problem with "binning". That is their practice of taking inventory from all sellers and storing it in the same inventory bin. So the box you buy "from Amazon" may have been sent to Amazon by "man in dark alley" and Amazon has no way to tell which radio they are shipping you.

You call Amazon, you scream, they'll pay your return shipping and send you a new one and if you keep screaming they'll make you more accommodation as well. (Like, ship the new one to you overnight at no extra charge.)

If you buy products directly from an authorized distributor you don't have that worry. But you will pay considerably more and with regular ground shipping, probably take just as long. Amazon does take action to ban merchants who play these games, when and if they catch them. Amazon apparently feels it is not economically feasible to tag the source of each item, it is cheaper to take returns and replace them.

It is a flaw in their business model. But many stores with generous return policies have similar problems, with empty boxes or bricks being returned, and being put back on the shelf as new. (Illegal, but still done.)

MidTNScanDude

Be careful letting people know about this... they will start Bashing you as Anti Amazon and Anti Uniden for giving a heads up.

Voyager

I haven't seen one anti-Uniden post as a result of this, but I would not be surprised either since some people blame Uniden for everything scanner-related.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen one anti-Uniden post as a result of this, but I would not be surprised either since some people blame Uniden for everything scanner-related.

Now that we have seen more than one person claim to get a 780 in a 536 box makes me wonder if it is the same 780!

Too bad those that got the 780 did not record its serial number to see if Amazon is just putting the box back in the "bin" for another sale.

I wonder if the 780 worked!

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've never had to scream at Amazon to get them to fix anything that was wrong. Last week I ordered a $5.00 connector adapter and used Prime 2 day shipping. Three days later UPS not only hadn't delivered it, but they had no way to track what happened to the package.

I contacted Amazon and the CS rep told me to order another one, select one day shipping, and they would cancel the shipping charge. They also extended my Prime membership by one month for the inconvenience.

A couple of years ago I had a much larger and more expensive item delivered damaged. They immediately shipped a replacement without making me wait for the return.

Status
Not open for further replies.