DMR and ProVoice DYI Firmware Upgrade Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me the exact current cost to do each of these firmware upgrades on brand new units out of the box at home? Want to compare how much Scanner Master and ZipScanner are charging for these compared to how much they truly are if one does them themselves at home?

This is for either the 436 or 536 models of course.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The Scanner Master page gives somewhat conflicting/confusing info on the paid upgrades....

Near the top of this page, they say that having them do the DMR upgrade at purchase time costs $75.00, but further down the page it says

Note that BCD436/536HP owners can download and install their own DMR Update for $100.00 or Scanner Master can handle the installation when purchasing the radio new for $99.95.
Uniden Bearcat DMR Update (BCD436/536HP) | Scanner Master

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Precisely what I saw prompting me to ask.

Thanks for both confirming what I saw as confusing to really be confusing along with the pricing confirmation.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Possible if they have to put the key in the radio than send it off?

Don't know why/where they would need to send it off to, to install an upgrade.

Both the $75 and the $99.95 price indicate that's the cost of having the upgrade installed at the time of purchase from them.

They also say that "the owner can download and install their own DMR Update for $100.00".

Upman just quoted $60 for that in his post above.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so here is another question. Does uniden honor its warranty from any vendor, I.e. An Amazon reseller and not Amazon itself?

N9JIG

Sheriff
The ScannerMaster page has been fixed. At the time the page was done the pricing was not known.

Scannermaster charges $75 for the DMR and ProVoice updates, which includes the update itself and the time needed to perform it.

TLR2019

Random Member
Can find FAQ

If I have a BCD325p2 and paid for DMR and Provoice. Then I get a BCD436HP do I have to pay for the upgrades again??!!!!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If a radio is sent in for repair that cannot be repaired, and that radio had an upgrade, the replacement from us will also have the upgrade(s) applied w/o additional cost to the user.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Re-applying the upgrades at no cost to the users is done regardless of the warranty status.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Um...no. I believe I've replied much more liberally than is strictly necessary in order to debunk some false statements. I'll summarize, if that helps.

1) If you buy a 2nd scanner, you'll need to purchase any upgrades separately. The upgrade applies to the individual scanner, not the person.

2) If a scanner with an upgrade comes in for repair, the unit going back to the customer after repair will also have the upgrade, even if the main logic board (where the upgrade resides) or entire scanner is replaced as part of the repair.

3) If a distributor contacts me for a key to replace one that they took in return due to some warranty issue, I provide a key for the replacement unit at no charge.

I hope that provides sufficient clarity on this matter.

JamesO

2) If a scanner with an upgrade comes in for repair, the unit going back to the customer after repair will also have the upgrade, even if the main logic board (where the upgrade resides) or entire scanner is replaced as part of the repair.

Just want to clarify, when I sent one of my 436HP's in for repair that had the DMR feature installed, when it was returned the DMR feature was not longer active. The logic board was replaced, but all I had to do was key in the original DMR code and then the feature was enabled again. At least this is how I recall what happened.

So are you saying the customer will not need to re-enter keys for that any return from repair that had a DMR or Provoice upgrade already installed? The feature will be re-enabled by the Repair Center?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Saying that the customer will not need to repurchase keys. I know that sometimes repair does enter the keys (they email me for a key). This is probably happening when the entire unit has to be replaced (new ESN).

Status
Not open for further replies.