Replacing older BC 800 XLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

billjr47

Hello to all, I just found this forum while trying to get my old Uniden Bearcat 800 xlt set up. Quite a lot has changed since I bought and regularly used it i see. As I view possible new replacements for it (planning on using it more regularly now) I'm trying to find a scanner that has as close to the functionality that my old one has. Police, Fire, EMS , etc, cell phone frequencies (if they are now legal to listen to). So any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Just something else for me to help occupy the time I have in retirement these days, especially the rainy ones or at night. Thank you for any help anyone may have to offer me.

Bill

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Compatible RF wise would be the BCT15X (analog trunktracker). But, your area has some digital (Bridgeport, Darien, Monroe, New Canaan, Newton, Redding, Stamford, Weston, Wilton, plus State Police and Greenwich...maybe more). To get those, you would need to step up to either the BCD996P2 or BCD536HP.

The old 800 MHz cell band is blocked and cannot be opened. Doesn't matter, anyway, as all mobile telephony now is digital (in a format scanners cannot support) and encrypted.

billjr47

UPMan

Thank you for your very prompt response. Yes it's pretty much all digital around here now that's pretty much whats's driving me to look for a new unit. I'll check the 2 you mentioned and try and decipher what the differences are, unless it's visibly obvious. Thanks again.

Bill

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Main difference is that the BCD536HP includes the entire database of all known scannable radio systems in the US and Canada (updated weekly). So, getting going on it is as easy as putting in your ZIP code. From there, you can listen while you learn how to use the other features. BCD996P2 you must program yourself.

wbswetnam

I had an unblocked 800XLT that I bought back in the late 1980s, and yes, I remember listening to cell phone calls on it at about 885 - 890 MHz, and cordless telephones, too, on 46 MHz. Those days are long, long gone now. Probably a good thing...

I sold my 800XLT in the late 1990s when the display started giving out.

billjr47

UPMan, thanks again. From what I have been reading the programming function does seem to be the biggest difference. I would only be using it at home here so I'm wondering if that plus the lesser cost would be right for me getting the 996.

wbswetnam, Yep that was an unexpected bonus when I purchased mine many years ago. Could be very entertaining at times!!

Thanks guys,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.