HP-2: Home Patrol II good for mobile use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dromanchyk

I having been trying to get a good digital scanner in my car so that when I turn the car on, it starts scanning. I love my GRECOM PSR-800 handheld, but once it is powered up, I always have to hit buttons to get it scanning. There are several nice mobile units, but I don't have a lot of space under the glove box, where I'd want to mount it. I got my hands on the home patrol today and love the size, but does anyone know if you need to manually start it scanning once power is applied, or will it start scanning automatically once it gets power (IE, the car is turned on). I saw it came with a desk stand, but are mobile mounting brackets available? Is anyone running this in their vehicle?

Thanks
Dan - KB2DR

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Home patrol with an external antenna and GPS cannot be beat especially on long travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Vehicle Installation

I occasionally use my HP2 in my car and connect it via the USB port. I shut the car off with the scanner on and in-between shutting it off and starting it up it corrupted the sd card. Don't know why? Power surge maybe? Simple fix, re program the card!

Now I just shut scanner off manually. Also I use the windshield RAM Mount. Great screen visibility and positioned well for the audio output. No need for additional external speaker.

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you need to shut the scanner down manually - not by cutting power. Reason being that it requires to write back to the SD card on a regular basis, and definitely at shutdown. It is very analogous to a computer - you need to shut it down via the software - if you just pull the plug, you are asking for trouble!

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you need to shut the scanner down manually - not by cutting power. Reason being that it requires to write back to the SD card on a regular basis, and definitely at shutdown. It is very analogous to a computer - you need to shut it down via the software - if you just pull the plug, you are asking for trouble!

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You should consider getting a USB phone charger battery bank and plugging it between the car power and the scanner. That way you have some time to shut the scanner down gracefully if power from the car is shut off.

scosgt

Just get a Uniden 996P2 or 325P2. They do what you want. You can easily mount the 996 series in the back and do remote control with the RH-96 remote head (996 and 996XT) or a Windows tablet through USB (996P2).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Uniden remote head has been discontinued for several years.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Even if you had a rh96 - you cn't get a PH2 scanner to go with.

Thought the OP might need (or want) PH2 since he asked about a HP2.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The 996 and 355 are also memory-limited compared to the BCDx36HP and HomePatrol series of scanners. They do not handle large statewide trunked systems--you have to choose which sites to program to stay within memory limits. The Hompatrol and x36 lines can handle scanning multiple statewide systems, especially when a GPS is connected.

Dromanchyk

Now how to mount it

From what I'm reading here, the Homepatrol will do the job. And actually, if I can mount it in the center console, the need to automatically have it turn on when I turn the car on is not necessary....I can just reach down and hit the button.

Now I have so find some sort of bracket to get it mounted. I have a space between two supports, and if I can find something that will mount it securely in there , that would be great.

phask

Premium Subscriber
What I use is the Uniden bracket (it snaps into it) and some Ram mounts.

I have the Ram ball bolted to the side of the center console and 2 arms and a ball to get it where I want.

There are unlimited options using Ram to get where you need. Should be able to do it all for under 50-75 bucks.

I also hardwired in power with a tiny toggle;e switch. I turn the HP on and off on the unit - but can turn the power adapter o/off separately.

I usually leave on when in and out of the car - I'll just press menu and it pauses, if needed. I do turn off when parked at home.

I use a HP1 - but have a 2 if I ever get to a PH2 area (also have some usb outlets avavilable). It's worked fine since the HP1 first came out.

From what I'm reading here, the Homepatrol will do the job. And actually, if I can mount it in the center console, the need to automatically have it turn on when I turn the car on is not necessary....I can just reach down and hit the button.

Now I have so find some sort of bracket to get it mounted. I have a space between two supports, and if I can find something that will mount it securely in there , that would be great.

scosgt

If you have the HP2 anyplace near your dash board it will not receive anything. Been there done that.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's only true if you are using the stock antenna. If you have an external antenna on the vehicle, you can mount the scanner anywhere you like.

Dromanchyk

I'll have to see what those ram mounts look like. I actually think I've used them many years ago mounting a 2 meter mobile radio. I plan on using an external antenna, (either a mag mount or an inside the window little dipole someone was nice enough to send to me.). I didnt think I would have sucess mounting a full size scanner under the glove box (and probably wouldnt have) but seeing the HP2 seems like it will be perfect.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I use an HP2 on a RAM windshield mount. Near the dash, A post junction. The corner of the radio actually rests on the dash. I then run a coax to a mag mount Laird Phantom antenna on the inside rear deck (which can be moved outside when traveling). It is easy to view, reach, and the location makes the audio clearer.

I don't leave the radio in the car unattended. It only takes a few seconds to snap the radio into the cradle and plug in the BNC and power supply.

Last edited:

HummerMike

I had a 996P2 mounted in the car. It worked great. Was un-easy about leaving it in the vehicle as bait for a potential break in. I took it out and use a HP2 in the factory snap in mount. The snap in holder is mounted to a PanaVise mount. I just snap the HP2 in and just adapted the exiting antenna cable from the 996P2 install. Works great.

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
I use the HP in my tundra pu works great don't need a external speaker

The down side is it's distracting to change favorite lists

Really wish uniden would not burry the favorite list tab deep in the menu on the HP3

I also run my HP in my big rig, but need the uniden amplifed speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.