BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Carry Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4UXQ

I would like to receive some feedback about the carry cases available for the BCD436HP. I have looked at the 3 options available at Scanner Masters, and the Custom Nylon case available on Amazon and other retailers. Feedback on these sites is very limited and the photos on Scanner Masters for their cases is very limited.

Which case did you purchase and what do you like or dislike about it?

I have had the nylon case for my BCD396XT, but I was not ever really happy with it. It tended to wear out a lot due to use, and the clear vinyl was reflective and made it hard to read the screen at times, so I am leaning away from the nylon case for the BCD436HP.

I am interested in the hard leather case, but at least one user reported it fits too tight and he could not get the case off of it. I suppose the leather could be stretched, but I would like to hear about your experience with it. The soft leather case would be easier to slip on and off, but the hard leather could provide more protection if dropped.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

frazpo

I have both for the 436. I love the hard leather case. It has no problem standing upright and actually has four rivets on the bottom that it sits on. The bottom has a round cutout that helps a lot with the removal of the scanner from the case. It fits snug and is very high quality in my opinion. I have dropped it on to pavement and the scanner was not affected at all. The one and only issue is that when your in the sun the clear plastic button cover tends to make it hard to see the display. No big deal, small price to pay for the protection it provides for the scanner. hope this helps. Totally recommend the hard leather case.

KD4UXQ

I have both for the 436. I love the hard leather case. It has no problem standing upright and actually has four rivets on the bottom that it sits on. The bottom has a round cutout that helps a lot with the removal of the scanner from the case. It fits snug and is very high quality in my opinion. I have dropped it on to pavement and the scanner was not affected at all. The one and only issue is that when your in the sun the clear plastic button cover tends to make it hard to see the display. No big deal, small price to pay for the protection it provides for the scanner. hope this helps. Totally recommend the hard leather case.

Thanks!

That description actually does help a lot. I was leaning toward the hard leather case for drop protection. I also like the fact that it will stand up. Can't do that with the nylon cases.

Nasby

I have the hard leather case too. It is bullet proof and really looks sharp.

It can be a bit difficult to get the scanner out, but if you go nice and slow it will be fine.

What I really like is that the case does not scratch the scanner when the scanner is taken in and out.

I've had other cases that have put scratches all over the scanner (usually on the display) during removal.

As the other poster mentioned, the case does not wobble when it's upright. This is also a real plus!!

KD4UXQ

I have the hard leather case too. It is bullet proof and really looks sharp.

It can be a bit difficult to get the scanner out, but if you go nice and slow it will be fine.

What I really like is that the case does not scratch the scanner when the scanner is taken in and out.

I've had other cases that have put scratches all over the scanner (usually on the display) during removal.

As the other poster mentioned, the case does not wobble when it's upright. This is also a real plus!!

Sounds even better. I have ordered the hard leather case. Thanks.

dcisive

No doubt about it the hard leather case offered by ScannerMaster is the finest there is. It's built like a solid brick, is super durable and indeed stands up nice on a desk without wavering. Full access to all inputs and outputs and feels great in the hands as well. Protective to the max as well. Comes out nice and snug, not overly tight. Goes in just as sure no slop. I ordered mine with my 436 from them and it has remained in it all the time. Only comes out when I want to do a full refresh of the batteries. I use the Eneloop 2500mah's and often just plug in the mini USB to the radio and a brick from a Logitech device I no longer have at the USB end to plug into the AC. Does a good job. I typically only plug it in for several hours. This way once every few weeks I'll take it out and do a refresh on the batteries to keep them up to snuff. I also will, once every several weeks, run it on this power overnight to make sure the internal memory battery remains charged. I understand this is a good practice and will keep the internal clock at it's best operating abilities.

KD4UXQ

No doubt about it the hard leather case offered by ScannerMaster is the finest there is. It's built like a solid brick, is super durable and indeed stands up nice on a desk without wavering. Full access to all inputs and outputs and feels great in the hands as well. Protective to the max as well. Comes out nice and snug, not overly tight. Goes in just as sure no slop. I ordered mine with my 436 from them and it has remained in it all the time. Only comes out when I want to do a full refresh of the batteries. I use the Eneloop 2500mah's and often just plug in the mini USB to the radio and a brick from a Logitech device I no longer have at the USB end to plug into the AC. Does a good job. I typically only plug it in for several hours. This way once every few weeks I'll take it out and do a refresh on the batteries to keep them up to snuff. I also will, once every several weeks, run it on this power overnight to make sure the internal memory battery remains charged. I understand this is a good practice and will keep the internal clock at it's best operating abilities.

Really good to know you also like the case and had the same good experience with it. I hope to receive it tomorrow. I also use eneloops, and I have a really good charger that can do battery refreshes. I am also getting used to the charge vs. run, and it sounds like I am doing pretty much the same thing you are.

So far I am really impressed with the BCD436HP. It did take a while to get used to the programming, but now there are so many more possibilities than I had with my BCD396XT. A lot more flexibility.

KD4UXQ

I did receive the hard leather case on Monday. I was too busy to get on here about it until now. Thanks for the recommendations.

This case is extremely well made and it fits the scanner very well. The clear plastic window is not wrinkled as with the nylon cases I have had for other scanners, so most of the time there is no harsh glare affecting my ability to read the display. If there is a glare it is in very bright light and easy to just move the radio to avoid. I expect this case would protect the scanner well if dropped on a hard surface.

I was a bit concerned about the rivets being exposed inside, but they don't seem to make contact with the scanner. However, I did run a strip of foam tape down both sides of the inside back of the case. The scanner still fit very well. I have some dense foam with tape on one side that is 2mm thick. I have used this stuff for lots of things including light seals for old cameras. Lots of the stuff is for sale on eBay. Many thicknesses, widths and lengths. Even rolls of the stuff.

For the price, the hard leather case available at Scanner Masters is a very good value. It is stamped "CaseGuys.net". Looked them up online. Resolves to Case Guys™ - AW Enterprises You can't buy this one directly from them. They make and sell lots of leather goods and cases for many brands/models of handheld transceivers used by Public Safety and commercial customers.

G7HID

The case comes with a belt clip stud that mates with the belt clip, they are heavy duty and microphone hang up stud sized. For a comfortable fit of the scanner I removed to original belt clip button and blocked the small screwhole with black mastic..

blackbelter

I also have the scanner master hard case for my 436. The case is well made.
I use Eneloop 2500 pro rechargeable batteries which was purchased with supplied charger. I have never charged the batteries while inside the 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.