what is the best uniden radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama9999

Scanner, GMRS, CB, Marine, FRS??? Depends on what kind of radio you're talking about, and what you want to do with it, such as portable, base operation, mobile, etc...

If you're talking about a scanner, I'd say either a BCD536HP or a BCD436HP, especially if your area uses either P25, DMR or ProVoice digital. I like them for the built in database that makes it easy to listen to whatever area you may travel to, without a lot of reprogramming. A GPS unit and the full database selected, and you're pretty well set.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
IMHO

BCD436HP Handheld Unit
BCD536HP Mobile/Base Unit

Are currently the most future-proofed digital trunking scanner models on the market.

Buy any other model and you may regret the purchase.

New firmware releases are expected that will add more functionality than are even currently possible.

(Older models may not get these features, Or even be capable)

Not to mention what happens when your local area upgrades to more modern systems, and you're left with that "more" reasonably priced paperweight. :D

gettygas2

Premium Subscriber
Uniden BCD436HP just pick it up the other day for $399.99 on amazon love it

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Home Patrol 2 is a little easier on a new user who is new to scanning.

The x36 scanners are more suited to "hardcore" hobbyists. They will do more things, though that means a lot more to learn.

scannersnstuff

i thought my bcd396xt and 996xt were among the best. i have a bcd325p2, and love it. i am awaiting a bcd436hp, and hope i'm happy. my first one was doa.

Chris516

What do you want:

1. Handheld/Mobile or Based
2. Frequencies above 450mhz, or not
3. Backlit, or not
4. Uniden, Whistler, etc.

A lot of choices.

dcisive

I relate to the "BEST" comment as meaning the highest level of performance and features. It's a "no brainer" that the 536 and 436 have that slot. The HomePatrol units are easy to work with, but are NOT at the level of performance of the others.

Chris516

I relate to the "BEST" comment as meaning the highest level of performance and features. It's a "no brainer" that the 536 and 436 have that slot. The HomePatrol units are easy to work with, but are NOT at the level of performance of the others.
Generally, I would agree with you. But, I was going on the fact, the OP didn't say anything specific. What is the 'best' to one person. Isn't the best to another person.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It depends on how you define best. If best refers to features and performance, then the x36 line is best. But if best refers to ease of operation and user interface design, the HomePatrol line is best.

f2shooter

I've got the 436 and several others. It depends on what I am doing. Listening at home or around my home town, any regular analog scanner does very well picking up LE for probably 30 miles, amateur repeaters and quite a bit else. The 436 is used for the next town over though that has gone completely digital. It's nearly useless for that here though as the digital stuff doesn't transmit that far. Then again I found the 436 in Radio Shack at a clearance price of about $45 so I couldn't leave it.

Rick H.

DJ11DLN

2+ weeks and the OP hasn't posted back, not even to clarify whether he meant scanner, CB, FRS, cordless phone, or what. I am thinking a lot of people went to the trouble to reply to a troll here.:mad:

Ubbe

It's like asking what shoes are the best, without giving any more details. My size 10 hiking boots are perfect for me as I live next to the woods but not for a guy that have size 11 feets living in the city and would like to run the marathon.

/Ubbe

bama9999

I've got the 436 and several others. It depends on what I am doing. Listening at home or around my home town, any regular analog scanner does very well picking up LE for probably 30 miles, amateur repeaters and quite a bit else. The 436 is used for the next town over though that has gone completely digital. It's nearly useless for that here though as the digital stuff doesn't transmit that far. Then again I found the 436 in Radio Shack at a clearance price of about $45 so I couldn't leave it.

Rick H.

If you found a 436 for $45.00, that must rank near the top of best deals anyone ever got on a scanner!

scosgt

It has been stated many times that the hardware in the HP2 is the same as the 436

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
They are indeed "NOT" the same guts on the inside. Don't matter how many times it's been stated. If it's on the internet it must be true, Eh?!?!?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
It has been stated many times that the hardware in the HP2 is the same as the 436

You keep posting that bit of misinformation despite replies to your other posts that disprove your statement, and you have never posted a link to a source from Uniden that backs up your claim.

Once again, Uniden has never stated that the hardware in the HP2 is the same as the BCD436HP.

UPMan has stated that the vocoder in those 2 scanners is the same, in fact the vocoder is the same on all of the Uniden scanners for receiving phase 2. There are many more internal components in those scanners besides the vocoder.

In fact, here is a post from UPMan discussing one of the differences in the internals between those 2 scanners:

https://forums.radioreference.com/u...302258-received-my-hp-2-love.html#post2321352

You got the same reply to another post you made with the same claim:

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-prospective-owners/351045-hp2.html#post2744211

Status
Not open for further replies.