536hp/996p2 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1956

I'm consider purchasing either one of these scanners and the question I have is if you purchase the
536hp when you get the dmr upgrade you go to the uniden site which explains it , and how is it
Purchased ? also on the uniden site ? And one you have the upgrade, can you program a dmr system
Directly from the sentinel software to the scanner ? and what kind of software does the 996p2 use do download a dmr system ?.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm consider purchasing either one of these scanners and the question I have is if you purchase the
536hp when you get the dmr upgrade you go to the uniden site which explains it , and how is it
Purchased ? also on the uniden site ? And one you have the upgrade, can you program a dmr system
Directly from the sentinel software to the scanner ? and what kind of software does the 996p2 use do download a dmr system ?.
For either scanner (536HP or 996P2), the DMR upgrade is purchased through the MyUniden website. Create an account then login (or simply log in if you already have an account setup).
Once logged in on the site, click on All My Scanners
If you have not already done so, register the scanner you wish to update. You will need the serial # on the label of the scanner, as well as the ESN (Electronic Serial Number), which you can find by accessing Settings from the scanner's menu, then choosing Show Scanner Info under the Settings option.
Once the scanner has been registered onsite, and is listed along with any other registered scanners you own, you will see a link under unit you just registered where you can purchase the DMR key, along with a separate link for ProVoice (if desired).
Click on the Purchase link so that you can enter payment information.

Once you have purchased the key, it will be listed along with that specific scanner. Each scanner requires a separate key.

To enter the key, press Menu on the scanner, then Settings.
In the Settings sub-menu, select Upgrade, & press Enter.
At the next menu, select the Upgrade you purchased & press Enter.
When entering the keys, use the <4> key to go left, and the <6> key to move right. The scroll knob is used to scroll through the alphabet and number. Don't forget to also enter the "-" (dashes) shown in the key. When done, press Enter to apply the key.

DMR systems can be created in Sentinel, then downloaded to the 536HP. If the system, with details, is already in the RadioReference database, you can Append it from the main database. Click on your state, then County, then County systems to locate it, then <right> <click> on the system & select Append from the pop-up menu, choosing the Favorites list you wish to add it to. You cannot edit the main database itself, but once the system information has been added to a Favorites list, you can make any changes wanted before you download the information to the scanner.

If you know that a particular agency (or company) of interest is using DMR, but it has not been entered into the database on this site, you can use the Quick Import option on Digital Frequency Search to speed up entry.

For the 996P2, you can either add the information directly through the keyboard, or by using software. ProScan and ARC-XT both allow you to import the system (if in the database) if you are a Premium Subscriber. If you are not, you can still use either of those to manually enter the system information. (While FreeSCAN can program many channels for your 996P2, it cannot handle DMR systems. The two programs listed do support DMR.) ProScan & ARC-XT are not free, though they have a 30-day free trial period before you have to either buy a license for it, or it ceases to function. (ProScan also supports the x36HP scanners. The Butel software for the 536 is ARC536.)

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Out of the two I recommend the 536. The wifi is good and I think it may do a bit better on some DMR systems that send a lot of non-voice data. It's also the new, modern line of Uniden scanner.

I cannot add anything additional to the previous post, which should cover your questions. But I did want to throw in my two cents, which may or may not be worth that amount.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would recommend the 536 or its handheld version the 436. RF performance-wise they are nearly identical, the 536 is in a bigger case and has the wi-fi streaming function, but otherwise they are essentially identical. The x36 series is better able to handle large complex statewide or multistate systems, especially when traveling and using GPS to determine which sites and channels to monitor. It's database is also updated by Uniden for free every week.

The P2 series requires you to buy a separate paid subscription to RadioReference, and buy third-party software such as ProScan to receive the same programming updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.