HP-2: StarCom21 in Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndo

I basically live in Elgin Illinois and my old Radio Shack Pro-90 scanner is waaay out of date to pick up the calls I wish to monitor for. I am considering the HP-2 for it simplicity of use, the fact that it covers so many systems and I can easily see who's talking at the time. However, I am not so sure about it getting important police and fire dispatch calls. Sounds like Elgin has jumped on the StarCom21 wagon. Does anybody live near here that can tell me if I am just going to be wasting my money by getting one?

N9JIG

Sheriff
They are on StarCom21 but Elgin PD is all encrypted so you will not hear them at all on any scanner. The fire department is open and should work fine on the HP-2.

Lyndo

HP-1/2

Well that "half" sucks. I guess I'd be wasting "half" my money in that case. I live in a rural part of Elgin and like to know what is going on around town. I'd hate to think I would drive into town to visit a restaurant or such and drive right into some gang war that's going on or something.

I assume I might get Kane County Sheriff. What about District 2 State Police? I'm still getting QuadCom on my old RS Pro-90 and listening it sounds like I'm getting South Elgin and TriCom as well. But they may jump on the same wagon sometime down the road, I'm guessing.

I have been doing my homework on the HP-2 and here on RadioReference they describe it as being a TrunkTracker IV yet on the Uniden website it claims to be a TrunkTracker V. I thought I could get the actual spec from the owner's manual but none of the links would work. I got the "404 page does not exist" error every time. I sent them an email and inquired but I am not sure if they will even respond. I understand that Uniden support is highly unresponsive to their customers.

L

Lyndo

HP-2 Info

I did receive a reply from Uniden and they informed me that the HP-2 IS INDEED a TrunkTracker V (5) and that the HP-1 is the one that is a TrunkTracker IV (4). The title listing for the HP-2 here on RadioReference is apparently incorrect and should be updated.
They also managed to send me a link to the owners manual.

L

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
South Elgin is dispatched by TriCom on Starcom now in the open, I hear them here on Tower 126-Aurora and also hear Elgin FD in the open on same tower....Great listening , who needs Elgin PD when you can hear Kane Co sheriff ....I have the Uniden 996P2 and its fantastic scanner, no card to worry about and great decoding of digital....Here in Joliet every thing is "ENC" even the PW's....My daughter lives in So.Elgin and was there yesterday monitoring the NWCD FD's great on T146....

freqgeek2

To add to the other posts, ISP D-2 and D-15 are also in the clear and the HP-2 should be able to receive both talk-groups.

Lyndo

HP-2

Thanks Ronin. Yes, I hear the 996P2 is a great scanner as well. I am thinking that eventually, everyone but fire and public works will be encrypted. I am thinking I might as well buy the HP-2 anyway just for the other info and what I can hear with Kane Co Sheriff. I understand it has the same decoding as the 996P2. Just want to get something even the female other half of me can operate easily as she shows an interest in hearing what's going on around her just the same.

Best Regards,
L

Lyndo

And as our friend freqgeek has mentioned, that also makes it worth getting. For now. Where is D-15 located? Is that the one South by Kankakee?

L

NM9X

Well that "half" sucks. I guess I'd be wasting "half" my money in that case. I live in a rural part of Elgin and like to know what is going on around town. I'd hate to think I would drive into town to visit a restaurant or such and drive right into some gang war that's going on or something.

I assume I might get Kane County Sheriff. What about District 2 State Police? I'm still getting QuadCom on my old RS Pro-90 and listening it sounds like I'm getting South Elgin and TriCom as well. But they may jump on the same wagon sometime down the road, I'm guessing.

I have been doing my homework on the HP-2 and here on RadioReference they describe it as being a TrunkTracker IV yet on the Uniden website it claims to be a TrunkTracker V. I thought I could get the actual spec from the owner's manual but none of the links would work. I got the "404 page does not exist" error every time. I sent them an email and inquired but I am not sure if they will even respond. I understand that Uniden support is highly unresponsive to their customers.

L

You will be able to receive several of the IL State Police districts surrounding your area which are all on Starcom21. I use my 436 with either an external antenna or an aftermarket 800 MHz antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.