BCD396T for $200 on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

I was looking through eBay and I found a gently used Uniden BCD396T for $200, plus shipping. It includes the cable for connecting to PC and a lanyard. Many agencies in my area operate on IL's statewide trunked system using Phase I. Should I go for it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bkantor

If you look at the completed listings, they seem to go for around $150, so $200 isn't bad with shipping, but IMHO you may be able to do better.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

I was looking through eBay and I found a gently used Uniden BCD396T for $200, plus shipping. It includes the cable for connecting to PC and a lanyard. Many agencies in my area operate on IL's statewide trunked system using Phase I. Should I go for it?

If you look at the completed listings, they seem to go for around $150, so $200 isn't bad with shipping, but IMHO you may be able to do better.
While the 396T would work, it does not have multi-site capability. You'd have to enter each site of interest, as well as talkgroups, separately.

A better choice would be the 396XT, which does have a miulti-site function, as well as more memory & a larger talkgroup limits.

Nasby

It's a pretty old unit.

For $200 or just a little bit more, I think you could find a better, more current model.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't have NAC either, if that matters. It's fairly old technology, and personally I'd be looking cor something newer in that price range.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I'd steer away from that particularly for a multi-site system such as Illinois for the reasons stated above. While you mention Phase I, according to the database, there is some Phase II on Starcom, which 396T can't handle. So if there is some future migration you'll be out of luck.

A local area with one site and no phase II plans would be good and that's what I'm using a 396T to monitor.

Plus this scanner is pretty long in the tooth and Uniden won't be looking for ways to improve the firmware.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses everyone. I will take a pass on this listing and keep looking for something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.