home patrol 2 or bcd436

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerface27

good afternoon fellow uniden members, I have a ? so I have a couple of scanners most recent couple years back a 396xt. But time to upgrade again I am an old schooler so I like to program into the scanner myself an add my own local system's and id's etcetera. So for those of you like me who like to do that other then using zip code entrance, which would you prefer based on ?
Any feedback is appreciated.

troymail

Silent Key
good afternoon fellow uniden members, I have a ? so I have a couple of scanners most recent couple years back a 396xt. But time to upgrade again I am an old schooler so I like to program into the scanner myself an add my own local system's and id's etcetera. So for those of you like me who like to do that other then using zip code entrance, which would you prefer based on ?
Any feedback is appreciated.

If you're bent on a Uniden, on some levels, the 436 "seems" like a better choice given it is a newer model. I also think the 436 is probably better for you if you prefer a handheld (like me!). In my younger days, the tiny fonts on the x36 radios weren't a problem but as I got older, it became much harder to see the text on the screen of these models.

The Home Patrol is an older model (HP-1) that was "retrofitted" (upgraded) to handle TDMA (P25 Phase 2, etc.). It probably has a better display but is less suited to be carried around.

In the end, you can ultimately program either line with whatever you want - not just zip code.

Last edited:

scannerface27

thank you yes I am a hand held guy like you.. was just curious for feedback. I like the fact with my 396xt of being able to change my own background colors so I like the blinking different color led lights also on the 436

troymail

Silent Key
The 436 has a blue/bluish-white (some say white) screen (ok, maybe bluish-white with blue text) and you can't change much about it.

I don't think the HP-2 does DMR...

Like anything that costs more than a couple of dollars -- you'll want to do your homework and compare so you can verify you get what you need.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can program the 436 by hand if you want to, but there's no reason to in most cases--most stuff you'd want to monitor is already in the database.

SOFA_KING

If you like doing your own "advanced" programming, definitely go with the 436. Priority (and even better Priority Do Not Disturb) is NOT available on the HP-X line. Neither is rectangular (and multi-rectangular) lat/lon parameters for better GPS boundary control. Plus you have more mode upgrade options, like DMR and Provoice. At $406, it's a steal! (but go with NewEgg...Amazon is a monster getting way too big).

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.