BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Drawbacks in using the BCD436HP without the Sentinel software

Status
Not open for further replies.

designeq

I’m considering buying the Uniden BCD436HP scanner but don’t currently have a PC to run the Sentinel software (only have Macs). However, it is likely I’ll be getting a PC in a few months for an unrelated project. Until that happens, however, I wanted to know what penalties I would incur by not having immediate access to the software. As I currently understand it these would be:

1) Inability to update the database weekly
2) More tedious modification and organization of frequency information, favorites lists, etc. which are handled much easier with the PC software
3) Inability to save profiles and restore the scanner state

Are there any other significant drawbacks in using this scanner without having access to the Sentinel software and how inconvenient, in your opinion, would this be?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The main radio system database will be years out of date.

You will be unable to apply any firmware updates that might have been issued since your unit was manufactured.

designeq

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot about the firmware updates. But your first item confused me. As I understand it, the scanner comes with an SD card with the entire RR database programmed in. Are you saying this is the original database that shipped with the scanner in 2014 and hasn't been updated? Yikes!

Anything else I need to be concerned about?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Are there any other significant drawbacks in using this scanner without having access to the Sentinel software and how inconvenient, in your opinion, would this be?

You have covered the problems, and they would make it very difficult to use the scanner. I would get a cheap netbook, or get Parallels or Bootcamp or something to run Windows on your Mac.

designeq

As I mentioned, I should be getting a PC in a few months. At this point I think it would be sufficient to just use the zipcode data to get my local services. I just want to monitor Police, FIre, and EMS stuff at the beginning. It seems, from what I've been able to glean, that I can still set up Favorites lists directly from the scanner, albeit, tediously. Is this not true?

I might go the VM method on my Mac if it gets to be too much hassle but it seems like I should be ok for a few months. But I'm interested in hearing why this might not work. Thanks for the reply.

phask

Premium Subscriber
What Jon said - even a 100-150 buck one will work. As long as it runs and has a woking USB port.

You have covered the problems, and they would make it very difficult to use the scanner. I would get a cheap netbook, or get Parallels or Bootcamp or something to run Windows on your Mac.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I use an old Acer Netbook with Windows 7 and it works flawlessly. It also serves to program my mobile and portable ham radios as well as the Kenwoods in our mobile command post. (I'm thinking about using it with the Raytheon ACU-1000 in the command post, too.)

Originally, I think the computer was $199 new 6 or 7 years ago.. I suspect it's worth maybe $30 now and that's a liberal estimate.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot about the firmware updates. But your first item confused me. As I understand it, the scanner comes with an SD card with the entire RR database programmed in. Are you saying this is the original database that shipped with the scanner in 2014 and hasn't been updated? Yikes!

Anything else I need to be concerned about?
Unless the database has been updated since the scanner was shipped (for example, you purchased it from the original owner, who may have updated at some point), the database in the scanner will be from 2014, even if you recently purchased the radio new.

As I mentioned, I should be getting a PC in a few months. At this point I think it would be sufficient to just use the zipcode data to get my local services. I just want to monitor Police, FIre, and EMS stuff at the beginning. It seems, from what I've been able to glean, that I can still set up Favorites lists directly from the scanner, albeit, tediously. Is this not true?

I might go the VM method on my Mac if it gets to be too much hassle but it seems like I should be ok for a few months. But I'm interested in hearing why this might not work. Thanks for the reply.
The odds that there have been no changes to the systems and frequency usage in your area since 2014 is between slim and none. So, just using your location and the main database would likely leave you in the dark.

Your best bet, as already stated, is to either obtain a pc where you can install Sentinel, or set up your Mac with a VM.

If you have a friend or family member that has a working PC, and is willing to help you, there is another option. Purchase an extra micro-SD card. They're cheap & readily available. Have your friend or whoever is willing to help install Sentinel on his/her PC. Along will the extra memory card, you'd also need a card reader (if their PC does not have one already). They can then use Sentinel to create you a new memory card. They could also download the latest firmware update to the card (to do that, there is a prompt to choose between the models)..

Once the newly created & updated card is set up, you would then install it in your 436HP. The firmware update would also run if needed. At that point, you could set up the scanner to use the main database and your location and range. You can hang onto the original card for later use once you could update yourself. (You could also simply take your scanner to whoever you are working with. Then, once they install Sentinel & update it, you could quickly get your scanner up & working, However, an extra card is good to have available.)

Another option, which I don't recommend due to cost, is to purchase a pre-programmed card, with a Favorites list, from ScannerMaster. At about $60.00, that's getting into the price range where you could acquire a working, though older, PC to use at a yard sale, pawn shop, or one of many web sites or phone apps. As phask noted, you can use an older PC as long as it boots up and has a working USB port as well as internet access.

JACIII

Your drawbacks are exactly what UPMan indicates. However, don’t let all the PC talk scare you off. The scanner will work out of the box with whatever firmware was installed at the factory. When you get your PC then you can update the firmware later, if you want. As for the stale database, maybe, but the database is fully assessable from the web, so if there is a significant change for your area, then you can program it in to the scanner manually. While the PC software is certainly easier, the scanner is fully programmable without it. I programmed and used my BCD436HP for months without the help of the software. To this day I still program the scanner manually and only use the software to backup those settings. I did eventually update my firmware (PC software required), but no noticeable change in how the scanner functioned, and I still haven’t updated to the most recent firmware (if it ain’t broke don’t fix it mentality, I guess). Good luck with your scanner. I think you’ll be happy with it, PC or not. This forum is a great resource for help and also check YouTube as well.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As long as you dont need DMR or ProVOICE EDACS etc... You can do it all the hard way. If you need DMR or ProVOICE... Then you must have sentinel.

phask

Premium Subscriber
A quick look shows a major trunked system in Multnomah Co. Nothing new since 2016, that's good news, but the database on the scanner will probably be dated 2014, that's the bad news.

Doing it by hand for a "newbie" would be near impossible.

No idea on any neighboring areas you can or want to hear.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You also need Sentinel to copy systems from the Main Database to a Favorite List. The scanner menu doesn't do that. Programming a trunked system with all the sites and departments tagged with the correct location coordinates, and all the talkgroups in the correct departments is something a newbie is pretty much guaranteed to screw up. The best way to learn is to start with an existing correctly programmed system, and gradually add to it until you have learned all the ins and outs of programming all the different components of a trunked system.

One other thought: you don't know what you'll find of interest in your area until you have a chance to try listening. Having the full updated database to scan through is the easiest way to find out if you want to broaden your scanning horizons.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Sentinel works great on a Mac with Parallels, Fusion or BootCamp.

You can also have your dealer do the update for you. Several dealers will do all the updates for you when you buy the radio for a price or sell you a programmed SD Card that you can use in your existing radio.

While I encourage everyone to be able to do these updates themselves this is an alternative if you don't mind paying for it.

ansky

There must be someone you know that would let you use their PC for a couple hours. Friend? Parent?

Xbullworker

The main radio system database will be years out of date.

I have been pondering buying either a Uniden 536HP or a Whistler TRX-2

Your statement give me pause. Why would the database be years (2014?) old. Does this mean that the radios have been sitting in a warehouse for years, waiting for a customer to buy it? I know that from reading the forums that the the early 536hp had many problems and some were recalled.

Since the radio system DB sd card is years outta date, does this also mean that the 436hp/536hp radios bought today were made years ago?

phask

Premium Subscriber
No - it just means that data at the initial load (in Vietnam) is that data.

I have been pondering buying either a Uniden 536HP or a Whistler TRX-2

Your statement give me pause. Why would the database be years (2014?) old. Does this mean that the radios have been sitting in a warehouse for years, waiting for a customer to buy it? I know that from reading the forums that the the early 536hp had many problems and some were recalled.

Since the radio system DB sd card is years outta date, does this also mean that the 436hp/536hp radios bought today were made years ago?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
That SD card is the life blood of your scanner. Every once in a while, it needs a transfusion. That's just the nature of the beast.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

No. You can verify the year of manufacture from the scanner serial number. The first digit after the Z is the last digit of the year of manufacture. So Z8 indicates the unit was manufactured in 2018. Unless you buy a used scanner, the unit you get will generally be made either the same year or the year prior to purchase (more likely if you buy in the first months of the year). The recall issues were fixed in 2015 and 2016, so if you have a scanner made in 2017 or 2018, you're fine.

Unless you have dial-up internet, updating the database only takes a minute or two.

frazpo

You use Macs and are buying a $500 scanner. I am guessing funds aren't a problem. Just pickup a used laptop on craigslist or the Marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.