RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Prospective Owners

Uniden Prospective Owners - A discussion area for those interested in purchasing specific models and have questions about them.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 1:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Home Patrol 3 ?

Hello, the crux of my question is when does Uniden normally release new models? I understand the consumer electronics show is going on this week. I also know itís been several years since the Home Patrol 2 came out. Just wondering if there might be a Home Patrol 3 on the near horizon?

Part two of my question would be, if you have a Home Patrol, how does it handle MARCS Montgomery county Ohio simulcast distortion?

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2018, 1:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsar View Post
Hello, the crux of my question is when does Uniden normally release new models? I understand the consumer electronics show is going on this week. I also know it’s been several years since the Home Patrol 2 came out. Just wondering if there might be a Home Patrol 3 on the near horizon?
Whenever they are (almost and sort of) ready... In November 2013, they announced the 436 and 536 which went on sale about 2 months later (if I recall correctly).... but then they spent the next year (I'm certain - more than a year) delivering everything they said these radios where actually supposed to do... I stopped paying attention but I believe some folks believe they still haven't delivered everything they promised in Nov 2013.

They won't say otherwise.... but it is the same thing everyone wants to know....

Last edited by troymail; 01-07-2018 at 1:41 PM..
Old 01-07-2018, 1:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

To answer your first question, whenever they like. They're usually tight-lipped.

I'm in Georgia and can't help you with the Ohio question.
Old 01-07-2018, 2:09 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

dbsar Buy a G4 Pager it will fix your problem i use to have the Pro-197 would NOT pick up the NEW Marcs system so i sold the 197 got the TRX-2 GREAT SCANNER but still can't pick up Marcs so i got the G5 VHF Pager no more problems it works 100% at home in Parma.
Old 01-07-2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsar View Post
Hello, the crux of my question is when does Uniden normally release new models? I understand the consumer electronics show is going on this week. I also know itís been several years since the Home Patrol 2 came out. Just wondering if there might be a Home Patrol 3 on the near horizon?

Part two of my question would be, if you have a Home Patrol, how does it handle MARCS Montgomery county Ohio simulcast distortion?

Thanks
Uniden very seldom announces anything until you can buy it.

If the system you want to monitor is phase 1 P25 only, and it's the only real system you monitor, a G4 is probably your best pick.

If you want to monitor any phase 2, then it's not.

Monitoring simulcast systems is tricky, but it can be done with a regular scanner. It depends on your location with regard to the locations of towers and some other issues. Also, some scanners, such as the 436/536 and to some extent the HP-2 seem to do better than dome others. The system itself can also impact ability of any scanner to monitor.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2018, 3:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you are on Marcs get a G4/G5 nothing except a system radio beats in on P25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-07-2018, 6:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for your help. I already have bcd396xt and monitor vhf, uhf, and MARCS in Greene and Montgomery county Ohio. I really like the features of HP2 extreme upgrade primarily ease of programming and big bright display. Just not sure now is the time to upgrade. Silmulcast distortion bearable but wishing for better.
Old 02-13-2018, 9:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmith View Post
Also, some scanners, such as the 436/536 and to some extent the HP-2 seem to do better than dome others.
I recently had the chance to do a head-to-head comparison between the 536, 436, and HP-2 on my local county's P25 simulcast system. Holding on the system, the 436 and 536 were clear winners; the HP-2 only received about 50-60% of the traffic, and the 436 and 536 got about 95%.

Your mileage may vary depending on the exact reception conditions in your area and unit variation.
Old 02-15-2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
I recently had the chance to do a head-to-head comparison between the 536, 436, and HP-2 on my local county's P25 simulcast system. Holding on the system, the 436 and 536 were clear winners; the HP-2 only received about 50-60% of the traffic, and the 436 and 536 got about 95%.

Your mileage may vary depending on the exact reception conditions in your area and unit variation.
When you say "only received" 50-60% of the traffic, are you saying it was completely missing the other 50%, or are you saying 50% of the traffic was listenable and 50% garbled? My HP-2 doesn't seem to miss many transmissions, but it has a lot of problems with garbled/inaudible transmissions.
Old 02-15-2018, 8:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

About half of the transmissions received by the 536 and 436 were completely missed by the HP-2, even though all of them were holding on the system.
Old 02-16-2018, 2:13 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I love my HP-2 and thought I was receiving all of my local Phase I Simulcast while mobile, until I got my Unication G4 and heard what I was missing. It works great at home with a yagi though, and statewide mobile, except in simulcast areas. If they released a HP-3 that decoded simulcast I would buy one, but I don't expect them to.
Old 02-16-2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RMH View Post
I love my HP-2 and thought I was receiving all of my local Phase I Simulcast while mobile, until I got my Unication G4 and heard what I was missing. It works great at home with a yagi though, and statewide mobile, except in simulcast areas. If they released a HP-3 that decoded simulcast I would buy one, but I don't expect them to.
My assumption is that whatever hardware is needed to properly decode LSM is too cost prohibitive for a consumer grade scanner.

Tags
home patrol 2, montgomery county oh, ohio marcs