DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayleesdad

If we buy a used 436/536 that has the DMR upgrade, do we need to get any key numbers or codes from the prior owner, or will the used scanner receive further DMR updates with no further issues? What if we need to redo the upgrade?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If we buy a used 436/536 that has the DMR upgrade, do we need to get any key numbers or codes from the prior owner, or will the used scanner receive further DMR updates with no further issues? What if we need to redo the upgrade?
It could be helpful if you have the code from the previous owner, in the event that a major repair involved replacement of the main system board. In that case, the key would need to be reentered.

But firmware updates, whether for DMR related modifications or other enhancements or corrections, would not require key reentry. Updating firmare does not affect an already applied key for DMR or ProVoice.

Trainguyrom

It's my understanding that the DMR key is cryptographically generated based on the ESN, the Checksum is cryptographically generated based on the ESN, and the ESN is generated based on the Serial Number. I'm sure UPMan will correct me, but based on what I know of the system from friends at work plus my personal (limited) knowledge of cryptography and (much less limited) knowledge of the Unix and Unix-like backends, I'd be surprised if I'm not at least close.

But by extent, a previous owner's DMR key would be identical to the DMR key you purchase, assuming there hasn't been a repair that changes the ESN/Checksum.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Same here, unless you like school bussues, transit busses and valet parking attendants.

That depends -- where you are and if you care about what is using DMR....

I have nothing in my (current) home area....

Do you homework - don't waste the money if there is nothing of interest to listen to...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

You won't, unless the scanner needs a major repair that requires replacing the main circuit board. And in those cases, there is a process to get the upgrade transferred to the new board if you don't have the original upgrade key.

It's easier if you have the key from the previous owner, though. If the scanner has been upgraded, the seller should be able to provide the upgrade key(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.