BCD325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbadness

Thinking about buying one of these. I have a Home Patroll now and all I need to do is enter my zip code. Do I need to program in a trucked system manually for this? My area uses Motorola type 2 smartnet. Is this radio difficult to get up and running. I love all the features and it seems to be up to date and I like the fact that it's phase 2 capable. But it seems like I'll be studying the manual for a while.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The P2 scanners do not have a database. So you will need to program everything from scratch, or pay for a RR subscription to download database data. If you like the database, look into the 436HP instead. It also has a better receiver than the 325P2.

tumegpc

The 325P2 is limited in features but makes up for it in performance. I feel it receives better than the 436HP. For programing check out ARCXT from Butel or ProScan , Either one will get you up and running in just a few minutes.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The x36HP receivers are at least as good as the P2 receivers. And the x36HP line doesn't have the programming limits of the P2 series. You can program the largest trunked systems without hitting limits for programmed talkgroups, or bogging the scanner down when using location control and GPS.

safetyobc

My 325P2 is one of the better receivers I have owned. I highly recommend them. You will need to manually program it, but it’s not overly difficult to do.

HikerGPS

Premium Subscriber
While I haven't owned either of the HPs, I have both the BCD325P2 and its tabletop counterpart the BCD996P2, and I think both do the job very well. I'm an RR subscriber and I download all the frequencies I'm interested in into Freescan, which I upload to both radios equally (both have the same programming). I'm not sure if the HPs are capable of this (maybe they are?), but I customize the naming schemes to be a little more meaningful to me personally. I also skip over the talk groups I'm not interested.

I've also created a few banks where some of the services I'm interested in overlap. For example, bank 1 is "Home", where I have just county fire and the Sheriff's department. Bank 2 is all local police agencies (including the Sheriff's department). Bank 3 is all local Fire, including county, Bank 4 is State Police, Bank 5 is local counties surrounding my county, etc.

All that to say I really like having a little more control over what I have programmed in and how I've named them and categorized them.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
My 325P2 is one of the better receivers I have owned. I highly recommend them. You will need to manually program it, but it’s not overly difficult to do.

I agree. I just recently bought a 325P2 because my 125AT had such a great receiver. No regrets on the decision. The 325P2 has now become my main searching scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
While I haven't owned either of the HPs

All that to say I really like having a little more control over what I have programmed in and how I've named them and categorized them.

Your lack of ownership is reflected in the errors in your comments. The x36HP scanners have more programming options than the P2 scanners, not less. For example, the x36HP scanners allow you to filter traffic by Service Type category, which the P2 scanners do not support. You have complete flexibility to scan from the database or your favorite lists in any combination you desire. While the x36HP scanners can be operated in basic mode by simply punching in a zip code, they have all kinds of advanced features for even the most advanced users.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm an RR subscriber and I download all the frequencies I'm interested in into Freescan, which I upload to both radios equally (both have the same programming). I'm not sure if the HPs are capable of this (maybe they are?), but I customize the naming schemes to be a little more meaningful to me personally. I also skip over the talk groups I'm not interested.

The HPs are capable of this as I do it with my 436. Create a FL, append what I want to listen too, then edit the names as I see fit. No subscription required.

HikerGPS

Premium Subscriber
Good to know the x36HP series has this flexibility.

Actually, no it isn't... It's a bit more tempting to pick one up now! ;-)

wbswetnam

I agree. I just recently bought a 325P2 because my 125AT had such a great receiver. No regrets on the decision. The 325P2 has now become my main searching scanner.

Same with me. My BC125AT is such a hot receiver that I wanted the 325P2 for "on the go". I also have the BCD536HP, which is the table version of the 436HP. I decided against getting the 436HP, however, because of early reports of lack of sensitivity. This problem may have been fixed, however.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I decided against getting the 436HP, however, because of early reports of lack of sensitivity. This problem may have been fixed, however.

It was dealt with years ago, as described in the battery compartment UHF noise thread. I've tested several dozen 436s while doing internal GPS and Li-ion battery conversion mods to them, and they have very sensitive receivers.

ArizonaHeat

ProScan vs. FreeScan

The 325P2 is limited in features but makes up for it in performance. I feel it receives better than the 436HP. For programing check out ARCXT from Butel or ProScan , Either one will get you up and running in just a few minutes.

I have a 325P2 on order and was wondering which program is most user friendly?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

That's good to hear! I just ordered a 325P2 to accompany my 996XT & 996P2. Great job on your Youtube video too!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.