SDS100 vs 436

Status
Not open for further replies.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
So, now that the 436 can do NXDN, what does the upcoming SDS100 do that the 436 can't?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
So, now that the 436 can do NXDN, what does the upcoming SDS100 do that the 436 can't?

You should:

1. Read the announcement - https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/
2. Read the pre-release thread - https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-prospective-owners/367564-sds100-prerelease-discussion.html

Most notably it will properly decode P25 LSM (linear simulcast modulation) systems -- you know, all of those simulcast systems that all existing scanners have trouble copying reliably at one time or another.

I'm sure there are other things it will do, and that it could do in the future if Uniden chose to make it do those things. It has some different design characteristics than any existing scanner on the market or any past scanner ever manufactured that will allow it to copy LSM systems that other scanners cannot reliably copy.

NOTE: Of course, Uniden has not come out and specifically announced in print that it handles LSM systems -- but I'm sure that is just because they like to cover their butts. Their intention with this scanner is clearly to break the LSM barrier in the scanner market though.

Mike

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Supposedly:
  • P25 simulcast
  • Better in "challenging RF environments" including weak signal
  • JIS4/IPX4 water resistance
  • Possibly an included rechargeable lithium-ion battery that can be charged using the scanner

It seems likely that the SDS100 will be officially supported with firmware updates for longer than the BCDx36HP scanners. It is also likely that they will prioritized new firmware features and updates for their newest flagship scanner over their older scanners. Neither of these statements are from Uniden and should not treated as such.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
NOTE: Of course, Uniden has not come out and specifically announced in print that it handles LSM systems -- but I'm sure that is just because they like to cover their butts. Their intention with this scanner is clearly to break the LSM barrier in the scanner market though.

Actually, they have:
Uniden creates another first with the SDS100 True I/Q Scanner, the first scanner to incorporate Software Defined Radio technology to provide incredible digital performance in even the most challenging RF environments. The SDS100’s digital performance is better than any other scanner in both simulcast and weak-signal environments.
https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

In an extremely roundabout way. They have been clear not to claim that the scanner specifically can decode LSM systems cleanly. They merely state that it is better than any other scanner. My personal opinion is that a BCD436HP/BCD536HP handle simulcasts better than any other existing scanner as well, but that doesn't really make the 436/536 LSM-capable scanners.

They need to just come out and specifically own up to supporting LSM systems, even though when the scanner comes out and somebody sees 2% errors they will start barking that the scanner sucks and doesn't do what it is supposed to do hah.

Of course, I don't even see a mention of LSM / simulcast on Unication's site for their stuff. So I guess in reality when somebody suggests that their product supports P25 systems, that should be enough -- with the only issue being that every other scanner thus far that was advertised as supporting P25 didn't actually support simulcast P25.

If you are a scanner manufacturer who has overcome the LSM hurdle, shout it from the rooftops in as many languages as possible ! :)

Mike

n9nwo

SDR vs traditional radio

At Dayton Hamvention last year the SDR (software defined radio) forum was packed. The presenters pointed out that most radios within 10 years will be SDR.

Big advantage of SDR over traditional radio is that new wave forms (modes) can be updated in firmware. This is why the military now has SDR radios (PRC-150 HF/ALE, PRC-117G backpack radio, PRC-152 HT). ICOM has the IC-7300 and IC-7610. Elecraft has several SDR radios. There are over 40 ham manufacturers who are now selling SDR radios.

As with Flex Radio, often there is new technology so the line is updated. But most of the small updates will be in firmware. Thus the company does not have to have a new radio every six months to a year.

strandbiker1

Premium Subscriber
SDS100 battery

Is the Uniden SDS100 lithium ion battery removable and able to be replaced by AA batteries? Can you operate the SDS100 from the 5 volt external port, or is that only for charging? What is the voltage of the stock battery pack?

Skip KD6JA

Voyager

UPMan stated that the battery is a work in progress. No details have been released that I have seen.

CQ

RTFM

What's with people relying on videos?

http://www.scannermaster.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/Uniden SDS100 Draft Maunal.pdf

BASIC USAGE INFORMATION
USING INTERNAL BATTERIES
The SDS100 is powered by a Lithium Ion battery.
When the scanner is turned on, the scanner does not charge the batteries. When the scanner is
turned off, the scanner will charge the batteries.
You charge the scanner’s battery by connecting a USB power source to the scanner’s USB mini
connector and powering off the scanner. Note that the power source must be rated 1A or higher to
charge at a full rate. If you connect to a PC or other lower-power USB source, charging will take
longer. You can power the scanner by connecting to either the USB micro or mini connector, but
only the mini connector can be used for charging.
The included AC adapter is rated at 2A and can power or charge the SDS100
The scanner’s charge indicator is red during charge and green when complete.
Note: If the scanner gets too hot while charging, it will turn off automatically.
VIEW THE BATTERY LEVEL
You can set a custom display area to show the battery voltage level. See “Customizing the
Display.”

To get your scanner ready for use, follow these quick steps:
1. Install the battery pack and plug the included cable into the scanner’s USB mini port and the
other end into a PC.

Battery Options Set Battery Save Turn on to reduce
power use during
conventional hold
mode.
Set Battery Low Follow the menus to
set the battery alert
display type and tone
and the low-battery
voltage.

Built-in Battery Charger – Allows you to charge the rechargeable batteries in the scanner from
any USB port.

• Lithium Ion Battery Pack

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

Because Upman has said saveral times battery specs are not final, and subject to change. The videos are likely more recent than the manual revision.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
From watching the videos the sds100 charges just like the 436 with the standalone charger to come later.
This is open for change in the final production release.

Can't rely on the videos for any solid information regarding the battery. As far as we know, the battery design has not been finalized.

Disclaimer can be heard on SDS100 Live in Columbus Ohio at 37:14..

Because of what UPMan said when he originally released the preliminary Owner's Manual on RadioReference.

I'm hoping that posting the Owner's Manual will keep you occupied for a while. Note that there are some things in this version (mostly related to the battery) that are incorrect, but I am waiting for some testing to finalize.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U2HeMVdqBaH48AlkJ75JZPwZOFGXM_49

strandbiker1

Premium Subscriber
Blue tooth

Is the Uniden SDS100 lithium ion battery removable and able to be replaced by AA batteries? Can you operate the SDS100 from the 5 volt external port, or is that only for charging? What is the voltage of the stock battery pack?

Skip KD6JA

Any indication that the radio will be able to send audio via bluetooth to vehicle audio systems?

Skip

fmulder13

Get a bluetooth dongle, and keep it far enough away from your antenna and from the scanner so it doesn't affect reception. If you're going to keep it in the car, keep the dongle charging, as any time it's on it'll be transmitting audio, so it'll eat through battery life quickly. Alternatively, if your stereo has an aux in, use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.