Home Patrol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hub95

I just got a Home Patrol 2 scanner. Ive had scanners before but its been along time sinse I got a new one. Is there anything else I need or is it ready to go as is.
Thanks

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
spend time in the free software....... making favor list..... you will have more control on your scanner....... enjoy

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just got a Home Patrol 2 scanner. Ive had scanners before but its been along time sinse I got a new one. Is there anything else I need or is it ready to go as is.
Thanks
You definitely need to install the Sentinel software for that scanner, then update the database in Sentinel. Once you've done that, write that updated database information to the scanner.

The database, as originally shipped, can be several years out of date. So, if you were trying to use the main DB and scan via your location and range, you would be using incorrect or incomplete information in most cases unless/until you update Sentinel & the scanner.

ansky

The antenna that comes with that scanner is terrible. I suggest getting a telescoping antenna from Amazon or eBay. It gave me much improved reception.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The antenna that comes with that scanner is terrible. I suggest getting a telescoping antenna from Amazon or eBay. It gave me much improved reception.
I don't know that I'd classify it as terrible, but there are a number of antenna choices that improve reception. If you're in an area that is mostly covered by 700/800MHz trunked systems, then an 800MHz antenna is likely your best option.

However, I have had good results with this telescoping antenna. You can extend or collapse the antenna as needed to enhance reception of specific bands. There is a reference chart on the antenna itself. It also has a built in pivot, so that you can use it vertically, even though the antenna connection on the HP-2 is on the side, not top. It's available with either SMA or BNC connections. The HP-2 is SMA, but there is an SMA to BNC adapter shipped with the scanner, You would have to use the adapter if the BNC version is chosen. I use the BNC, since I have a variety of antennas in my collection, and it's quick & easy to swap them out with BNC.
I hope I can figure it out will try tomorrow
Thanks
If you need more specific assistance, please indicate your location, either city or county, plus your state, and also note what specific system(s) you are trying to hear.

If you have not already done so, visit this page for useful information and instructions:
Easier to Read HomePatrol-1/HP-2 Digitall Scanner and Sentinel Manual

hub95

My grandson new know to program this thing after 1hr he gave up Is there a way to delete everything and start over

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
My grandson new know to program this thing after 1hr he gave up Is there a way to delete everything and start over

There's no programming necessary. Simply enter your ZIP code and let the scanner do the rest.

hub95

Sentinel is on the desk top so that must be installed I think but other than that I have no clue. I need someone one to walk me through it

Voyager

well he got something messed up I cant get a thing

Set your zip code.
Set your range.
Set the Service types you want to hear.

That should get you started unless you're in an encrypted area.

hub95

when I turn it on it loads 1/2 of iowa and most of Minnesota I not a techy guy......lol

hub95

Well I give up no clue what to do cant find anyone around home to help to bad they wasted there money on me

Voyager

Set your zip code.
Set your range. (start with 0 miles if you just want to hear things in your local area).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Set your zip code.
Set your range. (start with 0 miles if you just want to hear things in your local area).
Exactly.

See this for a more complete explanation as to how Location based scanning works.
How it Works: Location, Location, Location

when I turn it on it loads 1/2 of iowa and most of Minnesota I not a techy guy......lol
That may be due, at least in part, by using an incorrect range setting. You still have given no indication of your basic location. City (or county) and state would be a good start. That way, someone can look at your area, and get an idea of what may be in range.

Sentinel is on the desk top so that must be installed I think but other than that I have no clue. I need someone one to walk me through it
Step by step instructions are available at this webpage, which I also posted much earlier:
http://new.marksscanners.com/HP/HP.shtml

You say that Sentinel is 'on the desktop', but still have not confirmed whether the database was updated and that it was also written to the scanner via the software. If you are using an out of date database, you have your location entered inaccurately, and you have too large a range, plus service types not of interest enabled (or the ones you do want are not enabled), then, no, the scanner is not going to perform well.
well he got something messed up I cant get a thing
Well I give up no clue what to do cant find anyone around home to help to bad they wasted there money on me
Getting the scanner set up and programmed correctly, so that you can listen to the available systems in your area requires some cooperation and participation on your part. It cannot program itself just sitting there. You may want to have your thread moved to your state forum, so that someone in your area could be of more assistance. [FONT=&quot]To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the red outlined triangle in the upper right corner of your original post, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.[/FONT]

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180508-091241.jpg
    Screenshot_20180508-091241.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 214

hub95

Hi got the scanner figured out. 2 questions Sentinal is not installed do it need it? Also the voices are not clear would a better antenna help thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.