New Scanner - Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndejohn

Premium Subscriber
So, I am in the market for a new scanner and I don't know which direction to go. Currently, I am using a BCD996T and I want to get into something that is capable of all the new systems, including Phase II P25 Systems. The only requirements that I have right now is that it has to be mobile and it has to have some kind of remote head. I have limited mounting space so, I need something with a remote head.

I'm looking for everyone's opinion on which direction I should go.

Thanks,
Nick

milcom_chaser

So, I am in the market for a new scanner and I don't know which direction to go. Currently, I am using a BCD996T and I want to get into something that is capable of all the new systems, including Phase II P25 Systems. The only requirements that I have right now is that it has to be mobile and it has to have some kind of remote head. I have limited mounting space so, I need something with a remote head.

Thanks,
Nick

Why don't you hold out and wait for Uniden's new offerings, they are suppose to release a mobile version of the SDS-100. This would give you a much better experience of listening to Phase II simulcast as LSM de-modulation can be disappointing at times with the current RX designs...

Other's will chime in about this.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Why don't you hold out and wait for Uniden's new offerings, they are suppose to release a mobile version of the SDS-100. This would give you a much better experience of listening to Phase II simulcast as LSM de-modulation can be disappointing at times with the current RX designs...

Not to kill a sale, but I have never said anything about a mobile version. I have seen some speculation to that effect.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Home Patrol 3 ��

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The only requirements that I have right now is that it has to be mobile and it has to have some kind of remote head. I have limited mounting space so, I need something with a remote head.

I would go with the 436, unless you live in an area with simulcast, in which case I would wait for the SDS100. The entire scanner is about the same size as a typical remote head, and they both have larger displays that show more information than the 536 or other mobiles.

RF performance is essentially identical between the 436 and 536, so you aren't sacrificing anything by going to a smaller form factor other than the Wi-Fi streaming, and maximum internal volume level. But if you plug the scanner into an AUX audio input in the vehicle, that's moot.

If you need to receive multiple simulcast systems, the SDS100 is your only option from any manufacturer in any form factor.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

Or wait for hell to freeze over

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I would love for someone to explain to me what an SDS200 and SDS500 is. It would save me a lot of time.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
I would love for someone to explain to me what an SDS200 and SDS500 is. It would save me a lot of time.

They can be anything you want them to be, Paul. That's the power of imagination!

I did notice you conveniently left out Home Patrol 3 from that comment, however... 😉

Unforgiven_AF

20120622052737!Rofl.gif

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
I would wait for the SDS100 if you live in Simulcast area even though no remote head capability. Otherwise you can use any of the other latest models and get savvy with Proscan and a small Windows tablet. (7' Winbook TW700 bought used on Amazon) See pic...

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.