Status
Not open for further replies.

PAscannernut

I live in Montgomery County, PA and listen to police, fire, and ems. I listen to Philly police, fire, and ems as well. I have had a 396XT for several years and still hear a lot from both counties updating it every so often. Maybe I am uninformed, but if I purchased a SDS 100 would I hear a lot more? Is Philly or Montco moving to P25 phase 2 or something else that my 396XT won't pick up or is not picking up currently? and if that is the case would a 436HP be a good option. Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
From what I see on the forums.... There is a very good chance Philly is going Phase II. And ENCRYPTING ALL LEA. Same with Montgomery County. So you WILL need a Phase II capable scanner, at least for Fire/EMS if that does not go E.... Besides, the State system will eventually get finished and it is Phase II.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Montco PD will be migrating to a Phase II system this fall. Police will be going encrypted so no scanner will be able to monitor PD, I believe fire & EMS will remain in the clear. Philly is already P25 Phase II, though I heard they'll probably be encrypting PD as well. If you purchase an SDS 100 you'd probably have a better pick up on Chester, Bucks and possibly Berks County if you choose to monitor those systems. As the systems are today, the 436HP is a good option. I've owned 2 & they are solid performers.

Further discussions on the systems:
https://forums.radioreference.com/p...sion-forum/370328-philly-going-phase-2-a.html
https://forums.radioreference.com/pennsylvania-radio-discussion-forum/258626-montco-upgrades.html

Last edited:

PAscannernut

Thanks for that info. If all of that encryption is happening then the SDS 100 may not be worth it. I would really consider it if PD was not getting encrypted, because it sounds like a great scanner. IF PD becomes encrypted soon then should I just stick with 396XT or would I hear more on 436HP? I appreciate the feedback.

N8IAA

Thanks for that info. If all of that encryption is happening then the SDS 100 may not be worth it. I would really consider it if PD was not getting encrypted, because it sounds like a great scanner. IF PD becomes encrypted soon then should I just stick with 396XT or would I hear more on 436HP? I appreciate the feedback.

You would need a Phase II scanner to hear your county. According to the RR database, only FD/EMS are the ones using it now.

Encryption of Phase II systems is like an epidemic now.

If you want to buy a new scanner that does Phase II, I would suggest the 996P2. I don't really believe you will hear more with the 436HP.

PA statewide system is Phase I Milf. It only has sites in five or six counties. Hard to believe that after they build out the entire system, they'll make everyone change to Phase II. Too many years in the future.

Larry

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you ever travel with your scanner, then the 996 is not a good choice. The database in the x36 and SDS100 scanners, in conjunction with GPS, makes scanning while you travel a mostly seamless experience. The 996 does not have enough memory or CPU power to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.