SDS100 - Initial Review from Louisville, KY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mricketts

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to drop by to thank Uniden/UPMan and anyone else that contributed to the creation of the SDS100. I live 15 miles SW of downtown Louisville and until I received my SDS on Saturday (thanks to Jeff at Ham Station), I was unable to monitor Louisville's MetroSafe with my 436, or any other radio. It was so choppy due to the simulcast that it wasn't worth it. I'm happy to report that the SDS has cured my problem. I live on the Indiana side of the river, so I'm often monitoring the Indiana Safe-T along with my other local agencies, but that can be a little boring. It's non-stop chaos over in Louisville, which keeps me entertained. So far, I haven't experienced any problems following their dispatch channels from my house. Like some, I haven't yet performed any technical assessments of the radio nor tested the range, but it passed my one test of being able to listen to MetroSafe from my house with flying colors. It is a massive improvement over my 436! Thanks to everyone that contributed!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That far out, it was probably just weak signal, not simulcast as the issue with the other models.

That said, glad the SDS100 is doing better for you. Similar to my experience when I was there with a prototype earlier this year.

mricketts

Premium Subscriber
That far out, it was probably just weak signal, not simulcast as the issue with the other models.

That said, glad the SDS100 is doing better for you. Similar to my experience when I was there with a prototype earlier this year.

It seemed like simulcast problems. I live right by the river and there are two towers within 6.5 miles of my house. One is 5.45 miles away and the other is 6.49 miles away. In addition, the audio that my 436 would pick up was strong and clear, but way too "choppy". Based on that, do you think it was simulcast issues, or reception? Either way, I'm happy!

jim13888

I live 3.7 miles away from the downtown MetroSafe antenna and my 436 scanner will pick up Metrosafe with just a antenna adapter sometimes. Ii'm so close it's a flamethrower. No complaints about that. The simulcast does come in choppy; misses transmissions, ect. I know it's not the antennas. I have a discone mounted about 20/25 feet in the air with really good coax, and I have may different kinds of antennas (6+) and they all pick MetroSafe about the same. I can't wait to get the SDS100.

mricketts

Premium Subscriber
I live 3.7 miles away from the downtown MetroSafe antenna and my 436 scanner will pick up Metrosafe with just a antenna adapter sometimes. Ii'm so close it's a flamethrower. No complaints about that. The simulcast does come in choppy; misses transmissions, ect. I know it's not the antennas. I have a discone mounted about 20/25 feet in the air with really good coax, and I have may different kinds of antennas (6+) and they all pick MetroSafe about the same. I can't wait to get the SDS100.

I think you'll love the SDS. I'm confident that it'll cure your problems as it did mine, but I wouldn't mind hearing your assessment once you do get one. I'll be 11.5 miles Northwest of the downtown antenna later this afternoon where I was never able to pick up anything with my 436. I'm curious what the SDS will do. This will be a good test.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
I live in Bullitt County on 44 Hill. I also could not receive the system very well on my 436 (536 worked decent but choppy) at home. After hearing from a member here earlier this year about UPMan's visit and testing on the MetroSafe system, I decided to buy the SDS100 even though I had previously swore off Uniden.

I received my SDS100 last week but did not get to drive around with it until yesterday. The simulcast is working GREAT on the SDS100. I have not had any issues driving along 65, 71 and 264. There were numerous areas where the car mounted 536 would not handle the simulcast well but the SDS100 kept chugging along with zero issues. I am very impressed with this scanner.

Oldham County has switched to the MetroSafe system and my county, Bullitt, will be switching sometime within the next 6-12 months. I highly recommend anyone near this area to buy the SDS100.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I drove From Columbus and am sitting in Glendale, went on the Watterson then down I-65, perfect reception down past Brooks, about the same as the unication, loading in Louisville tomorrow night so more testing, also can hear the 45.3 detector for CSX here at the Petro with my mobile antenna, so its working well

Status
Not open for further replies.