SDS100 vs. BD346 - A picture is worth a thousand words

Status
Not open for further replies.

racin06

As you can see, the SDS100 is receiving full bars on the signal. The BCD436 receives at best one bar. The tower is approximately 25 miles away.
Both scanners are using the Remtronix 800MHz antenna and the same exact SMA to BNC adapter, as well. Perhaps, I can post some video in the near future.

Attachments

• scanners-1.jpg
    scanners-1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 987
Last edited:

RogueSteward

It's pretty amazing what software and program routines can do to reduce noise and discriminate the signal.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Signal bars are not particularly accurate or meaningful. A better metric is the number/duration of transmissions received by each radio when hooked to a common antenna. That said, given the conditions in the photo, the SDS100 is likely to pick up a lot more traffic than the 436.

klinquist

Premium Subscriber
A photo I just took.. I have a fancy camera and a lightbox..

i-dhFDbfS-X5.jpg

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
As you can see, the SDS100 is receiving full bars on the signal. The BCD436 receives at best one bar. The tower is approximately 25 miles away.
Both scanners are using the Remtronix 800MHz antenna and the same exact SMA to BNC adapter, as well. Perhaps, I can post some video in the near future.

Hi! What is your assessment of the comparison clarity receiving the signal, and which system are they monitoring?

Thanks,

racin06

The system being monitored is the Project Hoosier SAFE-T system (P25 Phase I). The difference between the two scanners is very noticeable...the 436 picks up maybe 30 -40% of the radio traffic and probably 50% are broken and garbled. The SDS100 seems to pick up all radio traffic with very clear audio.

racin06

So, if signal bars are irrelevant, then why have signal bars? Uniden claims the SDS100 receives signals better from distant towers. I believe the photo confirms that claim.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
The system being monitored is the Project Hoosier SAFE-T system (P25 Phase I). The difference between the two scanners is very noticeable...the 436 picks up maybe 30 -40% of the radio traffic and probably 50% are broken and garbled. The SDS100 seems to pick up all radio traffic with very clear audio.

That's some great information! Love to hear that, hope it works as well for me.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.