SDS100/SDS200: The Waiters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
After keeping up with all the threads concerning the SDS100 bugs and fixes and shortcomings, the LSM monitoring compared to 436s and G5s, I feel I made a very wise decision in waiting to purchase the Uniden SDS100. Nothing on Uniden, the SDS100 is a complex piece of engineering, combining both radio electronics and computer software, and very challenging to design I would think. I am sure I am but one of many who have been burned by being a first adopter of a new release and decided to wait this one out.

I am waiting for the firmware fixes to be implemented. The hardware designs to be corrected, the Sentinel issues resolved, and the larger battery issued in a second run unit production. I am hoping they have all of this straightened out by the end of the year. I am patiently waiting with my $649.99 in hand.

Maybe the other waiters out there could chime in on specific fixes they are waiting on. I will start the list with a few observances...

Better LSM reception and UHF reception

Backlight toggle fixed

Redesign on the sma battery connection to accept after-market antennas

Larger battery and new battery door

Feel free to jump in there both other waiters and first adopters....

JD
kf4anc

last year i SOLD my old Pro-197 base scanner got the NEW TRX-2 i'm looking for a BETTER base scanner my G5 works GREAT on the Ohio Marcs Radio System the TRX-2 SUCKS just like the Pro-197 did so my WISH is for a great working base scanner looking to see what Whistler's NEW base will do.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
For me, there isn't a specific issue or set of issues I'm waiting to be fixed. I'm more inclined to continue to wait until something official comes out regarding a base/mobile version.

The current issues aren't something that I find troubling and I feel they can all be fixed with future firmware updates. Time will tell, though, if there is some "major" flaw yet to be discovered. The backlight and clock battery issues with the x36 line didn't surface in the first few weeks.

Probably next quarter I'll pick one up. There's no rush for me.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
last year i SOLD my old Pro-197 base scanner got the NEW TRX-2 i'm looking for a BETTER base scanner my G5 works GREAT on the Ohio Marcs Radio System the TRX-2 SUCKS just like the Pro-197 did so my WISH is for a great working base scanner looking to see what Whistler's NEW base will do.

davidzimmerman I also monitor the Ohio MARCS system here in Fairborn. My TRX-1 is hit and miss, lots of garbled transmissions, choppy audio, blank TGs with no audio. But now my Whistler 1065 does a real good job, my Fairborn set list is darn near perfect. Once in a blue moon it won't demodulate the signal but that is rare for me. And some of those times I will hear the PD unit requesting dispatch to repeat the message, that they broke up on their end. I often wonder if it's the scanners or the multi-million dollar digital radio system that they invested in, or a combination of both. The first few reviews of the SDS100 were somewhat promising, but then the bugs came out of the woodwork. It seems every day there is a new gripe. I waited on the 536 and glad I did. It has its issues with LSM but I must be in a sweet spot here in Fairborn because it does well, too. I am hard by I-675 and US 235 with a Diamond discone about 30-ft up and a directional yagi just below it. I think I receive the OM system better than some.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I'm just waiting for Christmas. I will own this scanner. (not to mention it is out of stock)

mauiblue

Well I waited until now to purchase my BCD436HP and I am loving it. I did the DMR and NXDN options. Price for the scanner was very good from what it was a few months ago. I'll wait a bit more before considering the latest and the greatest.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

davidzimmerman I also monitor the Ohio MARCS system here in Fairborn. My TRX-1 is hit and miss, lots of garbled transmissions, choppy audio, blank TGs with no audio. But now my Whistler 1065 does a real good job, my Fairborn set list is darn near perfect. Once in a blue moon it won't demodulate the signal but that is rare for me. And some of those times I will hear the PD unit requesting dispatch to repeat the message, that they broke up on their end. I often wonder if it's the scanners or the multi-million dollar digital radio system that they invested in, or a combination of both. The first few reviews of the SDS100 were somewhat promising, but then the bugs came out of the woodwork. It seems every day there is a new gripe. I waited on the 536 and glad I did. It has its issues with LSM but I must be in a sweet spot here in Fairborn because it does well, too. I am hard by I-675 and US 235 with a Diamond discone about 30-ft up and a directional yagi just below it. I think I receive the OM system better than some.

I'm in Parma and NOT close to any towers think one is downtown and one at I-480 and Stearns Road so i'm like in the middle also the TRX-2 does NOT work well for Clevelands and Parmas System this is why i sold the Pro-197 lol i do use my G5 Pager to Monitor OSP on Marcs and works great i just need a good base scanner and NOT have to use the G5.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Some say the SDS100 is King Tut right out of the box. Others are reporting that it has issues. I would like to hear all reviews, good and bad. I am with pinballwiz86, I WILL own this scanner once I determine all the bugs and quirks can be resolved via firmware update and any hardware changes are made. I have owned Uniden scanners since I started this hobby way back when. Got my first scanner when I was 24 and I am now 61, and I have always been a loyal Uniden customer and always will be. This scanner (sds100) is revolutionary to the hobby and it will be on my desk. I was thinking last night I should go ahead and get it, because Uniden is usually pretty good at design corrections and now that things can be fixed via your computer and a simple download, I am asking myself - why wait? Maybe after the first firmware fix becomes available and I start hearing that this and that is fixed.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Parma and NOT close to any towers think one is downtown and one at I-480 and Stearns Road so i'm like in the middle also the TRX-2 does NOT work well for Clevelands and Parmas System this is why i sold the Pro-197 lol i do use my G5 Pager to Monitor OSP on Marcs and works great i just need a good base scanner and NOT have to use the G5.

The TX-2 works great for me on the Cleveland GCRN system of course every couple of days I have to fire up pro96comm and make sure the antenna is placed where I get the optimal decode rate. I have had zero luck with it and the cuyahoga MARCS tower. The 436hp works well set to manual 8 and again using analyze to find the optimal antenna placement. I have also had luck with the parma system on both depending on antenna placement. Problem being that placement then causes GCRN or other systems not to work.

I have had no luck with medina phase II although they are still using the old analog as well because of the issues I hear they are having with reception.

I am on the fence for mobile/base so just waiting a little longer

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You'd be a good candidate for the SDS100 then. It doesn't care about antenna placement for simulcast, beyond how placement affects overall signal strength.

BigWonton

The TX-2 works great for me on the Cleveland GCRN system of course every couple of days I have to fire up pro96comm and make sure the antenna is placed where I get the optimal decode rate. I have had zero luck with it and the cuyahoga MARCS tower. The 436hp works well set to manual 8 and again using analyze to find the optimal antenna placement. I have also had luck with the parma system on both depending on antenna placement. Problem being that placement then causes GCRN or other systems not to work.

I have had no luck with medina phase II although they are still using the old analog as well because of the issues I hear they are having with reception.

I am on the fence for mobile/base so just waiting a little longer

I'm on the east side of Cleveland (seems to be a lot of Ohioans here) and I guess I'm one of the SDS100 early adopters. I also have a G4 and my work issued XTS 5000 as well as a 436 and 536. The 536 I run with a Yagi pointed at the tower at the Mayfield Heights FD and it actually works quite well. It works well enough that I decided to go with the portable (SDS100) instead of waiting for a base/mobile offering since I'm getting good performance with that setup and it would be impractical to try to recreate something like that for a portable.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
Waiting for more consistent reports from simulcast systems, larger battery, and deciding whether a G5 would be a better choice (for performance) here in northern Virginia.

[also I admit I am waiting to sell a ham transceiver first]

Waiting for more consistent reports from simulcast systems, larger battery, and deciding whether a G5 would be a better choice (for performance) here in northern Virginia.

[also I admit I am waiting to sell a ham transceiver first]

i sent you a PM

CanesFan95

Gonna wait at least 6 months, maybe a year. Some bugs are long-term and don't become known for a while. Other bugs take a long time to fix if they do.

KB7MIB

...Redesign on the sma battery connection to accept after-market antennas...

JD
kf4anc

I think you meant a redesign on the SMA antenna connection.

The custom connection is to achieve the weatherproofing rating that it has. I don't know that a redesign would allow the scanner to retain that standard.

What may be more likely, is the antenna manufacturers will design new SMA antennas to match the scanner, so that the SMA-to-BNC adapter isn't needed in order to attach aftermarket BNC antennas.

-----

As for me, I wanted to wait and see what bugs came up, and how quickly any fixes for them came out, as well as see exactly what features Whistler's new announced models might have in comparison. (And then possibly wait for their bugs to be identified and fixed. I own a GRE PSR-500, so Whistler's programming and operating style should be very similar, if not exactly the same as my GRE, and I wouldn't have to learn Uniden's way, and then try to keep the two methods seperate lol)

Then I kind of changed my mind, and was planning on gifting myself for my birthday in late July. I would think that most of the bugs and fixes would be identified by then, and except for any glaring hardware issues, should be easily fixed once new firmware updates were released. (Borrowing someone's computer, since I don't have one, would probably be the hardest issue once a fix was released.)

I liked the idea of having two batteries, if I purchased in July and they weren't delivered untill August. Especially if the second one was acquired for free :)

However, due to unforseen expenses right now, I may be forced, for financial reasons, to put off any purchase until Christmas or maybe even my birthday next year. Which is disappointing.

John
Peoria, AZ

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yes, John, I did mean sma, thanks.

I am in the same boat as you are. Thinking if I buy when the next batch comes out in July, I get a free battery and the batt door. That's an incentive right there. Still thinkin on it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Getting the free battery $30-$60 not sure what they will charge for a battery just a guess plus it will be the same hardware only the firmware changes so the free 2nd battery will pay for the drop in charger is the way I look at it. I just hate some are having an issue for what ever reason but mine is working for me in my location and out on several road trips.

johnnystuyv

Some say the SDS100 is King Tut right out of the box. Others are reporting that it has issues. I would like to hear all reviews, good and bad. I am with pinballwiz86, I WILL own this scanner once I determine all the bugs and quirks can be resolved via firmware update and any hardware changes are made. I have owned Uniden scanners since I started this hobby way back when. Got my first scanner when I was 24 and I am now 61, and I have always been a loyal Uniden customer and always will be. This scanner (sds100) is revolutionary to the hobby and it will be on my desk. I was thinking last night I should go ahead and get it, because Uniden is usually pretty good at design corrections and now that things can be fixed via your computer and a simple download, I am asking myself - why wait? Maybe after the first firmware fix becomes available and I start hearing that this and that is fixed.
I agree. I have the sds 100 and have no real life changing issues that can't be fixed with a download. Next to my 436, the 100 receives transmissions better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.