SDS100/SDS200: Sds100

Status
Not open for further replies.

noaim

Premium Subscriber
What’s a good all around rubber duck bnc antenna that uses the included connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peerlessk

Remtronix , zip scanners has them . eBay has them but be careful of clones . Just got mine and it is an improvement for sure .

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I notice that it’s for 700-900 will it still pick up others better then the included?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmtchr

Premium Subscriber
I've been very happy with the Remtronix I got from Scanner Master, use on a 325P2, and plan to pick up another when I order a SDS-100. It is intended for 700-800, not all around, and most of my use is that band along with 150 and 450, only rare lower band usage.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Airspy has them for $19.95 and they are FAST shippers.. I forget what I paid for shipping but I remember it was well worth it. Be careful of sellers on eBay with their clones, as someone here already mentioned. The clones have '800mhz' printed on them instead of 'Remtronix'. The Remtronix is the best rubber ducky antenna out there if you ask me.

scannersnstuff

You all do realize that the remtronix is the same as the radioshack 800 mhz. antenna of days gone by. With that said, I have 3 of them. Good antenna.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yes, I forgot the shipping charges w/Airspy, I just know it was well worth it - ordered on a Monday morning and it was in my mailbox Wed morning.

Yes, anybody who knows antennas knows the Remtronix is the RS800mhz antenna repackaged and renamed. I have seen them go for as much as $99.00 on eBay. Ridiculous.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
By Golly, ya learn something everyday here! Thanks for that, k3sls! I will be sure to set some friends straight with that little tidbit of information lol

AvidHiker

...The clones have '800mhz' printed on them instead of 'Remtronix'. The Remtronix is the best rubber ducky antenna out there if you ask me.
Actually, the Radio Shack version has "800MHz" printed on it (in orange). I own both, and the Radio Shack version actually appears to have a touch more gain than the Remtronix on my local 800 MHz P25 simulcast (I've come across others claiming the same). They're identical in size and construction, but the appearance is a bit different - the molded plastic base of the RS 800 stands out in stark contrast to the very matte rubber duck section, while the base and duck on the Remtronix are more matched in surface finish (somewhere in between, like a semi-gloss or satin). Probably just manufacturing variations over the years (compared both in new/unused condition).

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
It's hard to keep track of manufacturers and distributors when a lot of things are made in China or elsewhere in bulk and shipped generically and companies put their own stamp on it to appear as if they are the owners/manufacturers. Someone from QRZ messaged me years ago with this info (the 800mhz being clones) when I asked then if Radio Shack and Remtronix were actually the same antenna. I did not know that Remtronix is the original maker of the antenna and that Radio Shack paid to put their stamp on it. No doubt there is other merchandise out there that would surprise us with info such as this.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Actually, the Radio Shack version has "800MHz" printed on it (in orange). I own both, and the Radio Shack version actually appears to have a touch more gain than the Remtronix on my local 800 MHz P25 simulcast (I've come across others claiming the same). They're identical in size and construction, but the appearance is a bit different - the molded plastic base of the RS 800 stands out in stark contrast to the very matte rubber duck section, while the base and duck on the Remtronix are more matched in surface finish (somewhere in between, like a semi-gloss or satin). Probably just manufacturing variations over the years (compared both in new/unused condition).
I suspect that the 'slightly better' reception on your R/S 800MHz antenna as opposed to your Remtronix version is due more to variances in the individual antennas, rather than the 'design' of one versus the other.

It's hard to keep track of manufacturers and distributors when a lot of things are made in China or elsewhere in bulk and shipped generically and companies put their own stamp on it to appear as if they are the owners/manufacturers. Someone from QRZ messaged me years ago with this info (the 800mhz being clones) when I asked then if Radio Shack and Remtronix were actually the same antenna. I did not know that Remtronix is the original maker of the antenna and that Radio Shack paid to put their stamp on it. No doubt there is other merchandise out there that would surprise us with info such as this.
The original R/S 800MHz antenna was made for the Shack by GRE, which is no longer in existence. Remtronix is a company set up by some of the former GRE America staff. They now distribute the 800MHz antenna both under the Remtronix name, as well as providing private label units to RadioShack. Unknown if they are still selling to R/S after the bankruptcy, or whether the Shack left them holding the bag on unpaid invoices, as was apparently the case with Whistler, which had been supplying the Pro-651, Pro-652,and Pro-668.

Status
Not open for further replies.