Scanner choices for a full-time RVer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computrguy

I am also in the same situation as the OP with a twist. I am retired and live in my RV traveling around the country. So I don't listen to any one particular system.
What are thoughts on this given my situation?
Any ideas on what going prices I can get for a 3 month old 436 with all three upgrades?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
From one fellow RVer to another - my solution will be the new Uniden SDS100 (as soon as some wrinkles are ironed out) a top-of-the-line digital scanner that will handle simulcast systems and, with upgrades, DMR/NXDN, and EDACS ProVoice systems, i.e., just about anything you are able to run into in your cross country travels. Add to that a gps and you've just about got all your bases covered. I am actually highway bound tomorrow and sorting thru profiles and systems for a trip from Dayton, OH to San Diego, CA, and wishing I had the SDS and a gps hookup to try out, but being a tad bit cautious and waiting for the smoke to settle after the release of the SDS100. My current setup in my Winnebago Via is the BCD536HP, WS-1065, and the Whistler TRX-1 fed by a short-top discone on my roof and a tripod directional yagi when I am parked. Works for me!

JD
kf4anc

Computrguy

From one fellow RVer to another - my solution will be the new Uniden SDS100 (as soon as some wrinkles are ironed out) a top-of-the-line digital scanner that will handle simulcast systems and, with upgrades, DMR/NXDN, and EDACS ProVoice systems, i.e., just about anything you are able to run into in your cross country travels. Add to that a gps and you've just about got all your bases covered. I am actually highway bound tomorrow and sorting thru profiles and systems for a trip from Dayton, OH to San Diego, CA, and wishing I had the SDS and a gps hookup to try out, but being a tad bit cautious and waiting for the smoke to settle after the release of the SDS100. My current setup in my Winnebago Via is the BCD536HP, WS-1065, and the Whistler TRX-1 fed by a short-top discone on my roof and a tripod directional yagi when I am parked. Works for me!

JD
kf4anc

Forgot to say I already have the GPS add on. It works fine (I think) with the 436 while traveling.
My question is more related to the added functionality for me not really listening to specific systems (as I travel all the time) so I don't "fine tune" anything or have favorite lists. Is it really worth the cost to upgrade to a SDS100? My thoughts are no but I am not sure.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
That's kind of a tough question to answer. The main performance differences between the 436 and the SDS100 are that the SDS is much better with simulcast systems and it "seems" to "receive" distant signals better. Whether this is worth the additional cost is up to the purchaser. Some of this probably hinges on whether you spend sufficient time in metro areas where simulcast systems are a little more prevalent.

I planned an SDS100 purchase, up until my truck needed tires. I do have a 436 and was so impressed with the SDS when I got to see it a couple of months ago.

I'd definitely recommend all upgrades. When you scan the full database, you attempt to monitor all listed systems, including ProVoice, NXDN and DMR. When your scanner lands on such systems and you don't have the upgrades, all you hear is an annoying noise.

Computrguy

Thanks ofd8001,
That was kind of my thoughts. I have all the upgrades on the 436 so I think that is what I'll stick with. Most of my travels are away from big population areas. Been there, done that, now it's time to enjoy nature...

Rreferencefan

Another SDS100 owner/RV'er here... popping in your zip code where ever you stop or approaching a big city is so easy to use. Also using the ProVoice, NXDN and DMR. Pre chirstmas sales are coming so you can bide your time now and save money that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.