SDS100/SDS200: Small and large capacity batteries will both be sold separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

According to information currently posted at the Universal Radio website, you will be able to purchase both the small battery (3600 mAh) and the large battery (5400 mAh) for the SDS100. The Uniden part/model number for the small battery is BT953 and for the large battery it is BT954. No pricing for either battery is currently posted on their website other than "T.B.A."

They also have a listing for the new Uniden EBC100 external battery charger for the SDS100 (already mentioned in another RR thread) which includes the large battery. There is also no pricing posted for the EBC100 other than "T.B.A."

Kudos to Universal Radio for posting this relevant information for current SDS100 owners and prospective buyers. Over the years I've found them to consistently be one of the first radio/scanner dealers to post new information like this regarding upcoming products.

Link to the SDS100 batteries and external battery charger at Universal Radio: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/6100.html

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
According to information currently posted at the Universal Radio website, you will be able to purchase both the small battery (3600 mAh) and the large battery (5400 mAh) for the SDS100. The Uniden part/model number for the small battery is BT953 and for the large battery it is BT954. No pricing for either battery is currently posted on their website other than "T.B.A."

They also have a listing for the new Uniden EBC100 external battery charger for the SDS100 (already mentioned in another RR thread) which includes the large battery. There is also no pricing posted for the EBC100 other than "T.B.A."

Kudos to Universal Radio for posting this relevant information for current SDS100 owners and prospective buyers. Over the years I've found them to consistently be one of the first radio/scanner dealers to post new information like this regarding upcoming products.

Link to the SDS100 batteries and external battery charger at Universal Radio: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/6100.html

UPMan stated that the EBC100 would list for $59.95, but they won't be available until sometime in November. I haven't seen anything on battery pricing so far.

CQ

Now The Real Question...

Are the standalone batteries going to come with their respective covers?

Someone with the obese battery buys the anorexic version and will rattle around in there without making a connection

Will the charger with battery come with the proper cover?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Will the charger with battery come with the proper cover?

Best I can tell from picture, this will be a "slide-in" type charger used on many higher end camera systems. No covers are needed for the external charging means, which is something less to get lost.

I'm sure that some enterprising person may figure out a way to affix something to the back of smaller battery to fill the gap so the bigger cover can be used for both batteries.

Poonwart

My radio came with the larger battery and battery cover. I wish to acquire a spare smaller battery so the radio will fit a shirt pocket. I hope the standalone smaller battery will come with a cover for the smaller battery.

Looks like I should have purchased the radio before the larger batteries were available so I would have both sized batteries for the same price.

trp2525

This is an addendum to my post #1 above. Universal Radio changed the information on their website today (09-21-2018) regarding the small Uniden BT953 battery (3600 mAh) for the SDS100. Yesterday it stated "T.B.A" (To Be Announced) under the "Your Price" column but today it has changed to "The future availability of this early battery type is not known." They also removed the Universal Radio Order #3079 from the BT953 battery listing.

Here's the link if you want to have a look at it yourself: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/6100.html

seth21w

This is an addendum to my post #1 above. Universal Radio changed the information on their website today (09-21-2018) regarding the small Uniden BT953 battery (3600 mAh) for the SDS100. Yesterday it stated "T.B.A" (To Be Announced) under the "Your Price" column but today it has changed to "The future availability of this early battery type is not known." They also removed the Universal Radio Order #3079 from the BT953 battery listing.

Here's the link if you want to have a look at it yourself: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/6100.html

Well that sucks i was looking to buy one to slim my radio down a bit for portability.

Poonwart

Well that sucks i was looking to buy one to slim my radio down a bit for portability.

Same here. The radio I thought I was getting - as originally pictured, would have fit a shirt pocket. What I received won't fit as it has the larger battery only.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
All the manufacturing structure for the older (smaller) battery is probably still available so I can't help but think it will also be available in the future. Right now, they're concentrating on the larger battery.

random250d

Premium Subscriber
All the manufacturing structure for the older (smaller) battery is probably still available so I can't help but think it will also be available in the future. Right now, they're concentrating on the larger battery.

I called Uniden this week looking for the smaller battery and door for a recently purchased SDS100 that came with the larger one. I already have one SDS100 with the smaller battery/door that works perfectly with a Ram Mount Finger Grip in my vehicle

My new SDS100 with the larger battery/door doesn't work with the Finger Grip at all.

Uniden's response was that they no longer have any of the smaller doors or batteries available.

UPMAN, please sell the smaller doors/batteries again!!!!

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure that some enterprising person may figure out a way to affix something to the back of smaller battery to fill the gap so the bigger cover can be used for both batteries.

Why would someone want a big cover with a small battery?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Why would someone want a big cover with a small battery?

I can think of two good reasons right off the top of my head...

• To provide a wider base and better stability when the scanner is sitting on a flat surface
  • So that you only have to use one battery cover, but can switch between either battery

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I called Uniden this week looking for the smaller battery and door for a recently purchased SDS100 that came with the larger one. I already have one SDS100 with the smaller battery/door that works perfectly with a Ram Mount Finger Grip in my vehicle

My new SDS100 with the larger battery/door doesn't work with the Finger Grip at all.

Uniden's response was that they no longer have any of the smaller doors or batteries available.

UPMAN, please sell the smaller doors/batteries again!!!!

I'd never use my SDS100 for even an hour on battery power alone so I'm in the camp that would like a small battery and appropriate small cover.
I hate this huge humpback whale look. I now wish I would have bought one of these when they came with the small battery.

Of course when the small batteries start to fail, will those model owners be forced to purchase the new large door and battery? I suspect that will be the case unless someone custom makes the small battery or they can be rebuilt easily.
I agree that Uniden should offer the small battery and associated door for those that wish to use them for various reasons but I can see that stocking them both could be an issue for them as batteries do age even when never used. Stocking both size doors would probably not be a issue but the actual battery cell could be.

trp2525

I'd never use my SDS100 for even an hour on battery power alone so I'm in the camp that would like a small battery and appropriate small cover.
I hate this huge humpback whale look. I now wish I would have bought one of these when they came with the small battery...

I would keep a lookout on eBay and the RR classifieds for any early-adopters possibly placing their original small BT-953 battery and small battery cover up for sale once they receive their large battery and cover from Uniden. If someone only needs the longer run time of the large BT-954 battery, they may be willing to part with their small battery and cover to fatten their wallet.

Also if anyone needs the Uniden part number for the large battery cover to purchase it separately (when available), it is GBT110765ZZ as posted by RR member UnidenSupport: http://forums.radioreference.com/un...e-battery-cover-availability.html#post3019802

I haven't seen the Uniden part number for the small battery cover posted anywhere in the RR forums thus far.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Of course when the small batteries start to fail, will those model owners be forced to purchase the new large door and battery?
Forced? Nope...I just got a big battery and door for free. Now I have 2...My problem is buying a charger and getting another battery...I don't want 3. LOL

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Forced? Nope...I just got a big battery and door for free. Now I have 2...My problem is buying a charger and getting another battery...I don't want 3. LOL

I'm sure there will be plenty of owners that never register their radios and therefore have no clue there is a free battery option available. That's the group I'm wondering about when their original small batteries age and fail to hold a charge.

Who knows, maybe Uniden will offer these users an option to get the large battery and door at a reduced cost or maybe even free if there is no record of the radio ever being registered and the free large battery was missed.
Not everyone registers a new product at purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.