SDS100/SDS200: battery problem sds100

Status
Not open for further replies.

middydad2005

have sds100 after update the batter light goes out the only way to get back on to take battery out tried cords adaptors any help thanks Ron k all so get very hot I think It shuts down not happy any help if some one has this problem an the battery looks like it bulges on the sides thanks

Last edited:

middydad2005

have sds100 after update the batter light goes out the only way to get back on to take battery out tried cords adaptors any help thanks Ron k all so get very hot I think It shuts down not happy any help if some one has this problem an the battery looks like it bulges on the sides thanks

Attachments

• WIN_20190519_16_25_44_Pro_LI.jpg
    WIN_20190519_16_25_44_Pro_LI.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 138

seth21w

If it is puffing the battery is defective DO NOT USE! Contact uniden Monday morning explain the problem to them they should send you out a new one. I would remove that battery from the radio and your house until uniden advises you. They had defective small batteries on early models.

XTS3000

Sounds like we have a Samsung Note 7 battery issue. With the battery regulation circuit in the radio, as opposed to the regulation circuit in the battery itself, I see this a major problem.

The SDS100 is becoming the new Samsung Note 7 and should be recalled!!

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
If it is puffing the battery is defective DO NOT USE! Contact uniden Monday morning explain the problem to them they should send you out a new one. I would remove that battery from the radio and your house until uniden advises you. They had defective small batteries on early models.

+1 on what seth21w said, remove the battery from the radio and your house, carefully. Put it somewhere that won't cause a fire if it decides to self ignite. An old military ammo can makes a good place for temporary disposal.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
You should give us a call at 1-800-297-1023. We can at least send a new battery for you, but we may want to have the battery/unit sent in to be looked at for inspection.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Was this charging in the radio? Most us of users use a external charger to charge batteries. Yes you should contact Uniden as UnidenSupport posted above ^

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
You should give us a call at 1-800-297-1023. We can at least send a new battery for you, but we may want to have the battery/unit sent in to be looked at for inspection.

Are you sure about the legality of sending a swelled battery through any shipping service? I understand the need for Uniden to analyze the battery but if it decided to self ignite in the back of any delivery vehicle it could create a catastrophe.

budevans

Are you sure about the legality of sending a swelled battery through any shipping service? I understand the need for Uniden to analyze the battery but if it decided to self ignite in the back of any delivery vehicle it could create a catastrophe.
Li-Ion batteries have been known to combust. Li-Po are not known as a combustion hazard. The SDS100 batteries are Li-Po.
There was additional information posted in the Uniden forums back in April. See the comparison pic below.

Li-Ion-Li-Po.png

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Li-Ion batteries have been known to combust. Li-Po are not known as a combustion hazard. The SDS100 batteries are Li-Po.
There was additional information posted in the Uniden forums back in April. See the comparison pic below.

Ok, so no combustion problems but the swelling is definitely an indication that all is not well with that pack. I still believe that any shipper would not accept the package if they knew the contents, whether it is LI-ion or Li-Po. Seems risky to me, but that's just me.

And to XTS3000 - NO, Uniden should not issue a recall, the sample size of swelled batteries is too small to even consider at this point. Uniden are reacting (IMHO) correctly with the few batteries that have been brought to their attention in this forum.

I have two large batteries, one small battery and the external charger. I take no special precautions when charging other than a cursory inspection before and after charging. Courting disaster?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
USPS specifically asks if Lithium is included in your package ("such as lithium batteries"). UPS and FedEx aren't govt. connected, or protected, like the USPS is, so as far as "legalities", as long as there is no specific law against sending a lithium battery via private enterprise, it should be good to go.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I received a pair of lithium batteries for my home alarm system today. They came by USPS in an envelope marked "UN3090 Surface Mail Only Lithium Metal Batteries Forbidden for Air Transport." Draw your own conclusions.

Reactions: RRR

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I just came thru two airports yesterday and at both TSA checkpoints there were white plastic tubs with Lithium Metal Batteries in them that had been confiscated and not allowed on the plane... somebody's got to come up with better and safer technology.

marksmith

Was this charging in the radio? Most us of users use a external charger to charge batteries. Yes you should contact Uniden as UnidenSupport posted above ^
I doubt if most sds100 customers are using an external charger. Agree for other Uniden scanners with dumb chargers, but I would guess most users are using the advanced circuitry in the sds100 to charge batteries.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

phask

Premium Subscriber
Although I have an external - and 3 batteries I have only used it once, just to confirm it works.

USB charging 99.9% of the time.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I received a pair of lithium batteries for my home alarm system today. They came by USPS in an envelope marked "UN3090 Surface Mail Only Lithium Metal Batteries Forbidden for Air Transport." Draw your own conclusions.

I did, my conclusion is that a lithium technology battery that is swelling is NOT safe to ship via any means. Of course, that is my conclusion and opinion, others may do as they please.

Personally I don't have an issue with Li-ion or Li-Po batteries, they are great technology with maybe some room for improvement. But, and this is a big but, do ya really think shipping a battery that is exhibiting swelling failure is safe to ship?

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I just came thru two airports yesterday and at both TSA checkpoints there were white plastic tubs with Lithium Metal Batteries in them that had been confiscated and not allowed on the plane... somebody's got to come up with better and safer technology.

JD, assume you are using Nimh in your Whistler for this trip? Another reason not to take the SDS100 too Alaska.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yes, the Nimh that came with. Has worked well so far, no complaints whatsoever. I used the scanner all day everyday and charged all night on this recent cruise, getting longer battery life than my SDS100. I think I like the audio on the TRX-1 better than SDS100, somewhat deeper and richer sounding to me. They (TSA) did not even look into my carry on backpack with several radios in it - my TRX-1, Yaesu FT2DR, a pair of Uniden SX-327s, my Canon digital SLR camera and iPad, and the worthless little H777 HT my bro-in-law purchased for onboard coms. I was a bit surprised, but I have Delta Sky Miles and TSA Pre-check, so that always helps I guess. They wave me on thru and just told me to take my hat off.

Status
Not open for further replies.