7 Months in

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Partsman

the light at the end of the tunnel burnt out when they hit the 'on' switch.....sad....no spare bulbs I guess....

John

Jake68111

+1 to this!

I also would like to think that some kind of status update is appropriate by now.
The last (solid) update was in the third week of May, so its been almost 2 months since.

I know "patience" because I've held out this long but the water in the pot still hasn't given
any signs of boiling.

But since this is our request, lets not let this thread veer off of what's requested and see what happens.

XTS3000

What strikes me as odd, with all the problems with the x36HP's, Uniden is working on the HP-1 open beta firmware.

However both the HP-1 and x36's are pretty close on hardware so lots of 'copy and paste' of code firmware is being done between models.

The firmware delays are really telling.... Uniden has no clue how to fix this current situation. Many people feel they've been "baited and switched". The fact there's been no updates from Paul or Uniden says they are no closer today than when scanner was released in JANUARY!

Fact is many BASIC features are missing or don't work properly. Starting to think the wifi dongle works properly, but the scanner firmware can't control it. Original I believed Uniden about the wifi manufacturer of the dongle's firmware not working properly with the x36's. No longer believe it's the wifi dongle manufacturer fault, but rather Uniden coder unable to create firmware code to interact with the wifi dongle.

Blaming the wifi manufacturer now seems like a cheap stall tactic on Uniden's part, simply because nothing else has been fixed as of yet. Had there been progress in the past few months with fixing at least a few simple bugs, I'd have more faith in Uniden.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Counting the minutes until the thread is locked, thus choking us from constructively commenting on the now infamous siren app.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Counting the minutes until the thread is locked, thus choking us from constructively commenting on the now infamous siren app.

As long as everyone stays civil I see no reason for it to be locked...but I could be wrong.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Analyze and Siren

The Analyze function has nothing to do with the WiFi dongle and it isn't out yet either? It really doesn't look like either function was ever intended to launch with the radio at this point.

How about a firmware release for Analyze? It might me nice to finish something on these radios.

What strikes me as odd, with all the problems with the x36HP's, Uniden is working on the HP-1 open beta firmware.

However both the HP-1 and x36's are pretty close on hardware so lots of 'copy and paste' of code firmware is being done between models.

The firmware delays are really telling.... Uniden has no clue how to fix this current situation. Many people feel they've been "baited and switched". The fact there's been no updates from Paul or Uniden says they are no closer today than when scanner was released in JANUARY!

Fact is many BASIC features are missing or don't work properly. Starting to think the wifi dongle works properly, but the scanner firmware can't control it. Original I believed Uniden about the wifi manufacturer of the dongle's firmware not working properly with the x36's. No longer believe it's the wifi dongle manufacturer fault, but rather Uniden coder unable to create firmware code to interact with the wifi dongle.

Blaming the wifi manufacturer now seems like a cheap stall tactic on Uniden's part, simply because nothing else has been fixed as of yet. Had there been progress in the past few months with fixing at least a few simple bugs, I'd have more faith in Uniden.

SCPD

QRT
I wonder if the Lemon Law applies to Police Scanners .... My 536 makes a great glass of Lemonade.

Was reading some really old Nat-Com magazines over the weekend and even when the BC785D hit the market about the only real complaint was the cost of the digital card. If I recall, the BC785D didn't live too long before it was replaced by the BC796D Which was a really well built scanner.

Its my understanding that the vocoder for the x36 series in a clone and not a true Phase-II vocoder as a true Phase-II vocoder is awfully expensive. So in fairness we'll give Uniden a break on the digital audio issues. The Siren App is as new a technology as the cloned or emulated vocoder so we can't really toss a noose over a tree limb quite yet.

But as for all the other issues and glitches, bug's and snafu's, I am baffled why there is no fix yet. I mean C'mon Uniden, what so drastically changed between the BC780XLT and the HP unit's? did they fire the R&D team? It behooves me that Uniden is treating us, who paid excessively too much money, so poorly - Even Uniden customer service wants to hang up on ya when you call them with an x36HP issue. I just don't get it ....

Just out of curiosity, Has a class action suit been discussed anywhere? I wouldn't jump on that, but was curious if someone has.

I keep praying and hoping they'll fix this thing, it has a lot of potential but my fear is the fix will be something like a BCDx56HP3 for $799.95 sometime in the next 18 to 24 months.

I know, I know I'll shut up now. Wayne will be in here soon I bet with his forum closing tape ....

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have no idea if Todd is a regular joe, or a RR member? But IMO, he is Spot on:

11 of 12 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Should have never been released, May 25, 2014
By Todd Lewis
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Uniden BCD536HP Digital Phase 2 Base/Mobile Scanner with HPDB and Wi-Fi (Electronics)
Like another reviewer stated that it has more bugs than a roach motel is true. Uniden knew this when they announced they were coming out with it back in November. They released it anyway in January! Profits before performance! Uniden said it is WI-FI capable and it is not. Not yet! Maybe never! It does come with a WI-FI dongle but it is useless at the moment.They said you could use an app for either Android or Apple devices. You can not because the app is still in development.Or so it is said. They knew this when they released this scanner but did not tell anyone about it OR that the analyze function that they highly advertised does not work either. These were 2 of the main features why I purchased this scanner.Their website has no mention of the analyze function not working but they still have it on their site as being available on this scanner. Oh it is there. It just doesn't work. Their website also says the app for the WI-FI will be available 1st quarter of 2014. It is now May 25th. I purchased mine near the end of February and realized that there was no CD with it that contained the app. I immediately started searching the Internet to find out why there was no app. If you go to [...] you'll find all the questions and answers you'll need to make your own determination as to purchase or stay far away. I kept mine thinking that Uniden would release the app and have a fix for the analyze function by the end of the 1st quarter. But the time has passed for me to return it so I'm stuck with it. You can use it as a functional scanner but I along with countless others paid for features we didn't get and probably never will. Uniden will not answer emails either. Purchase the scanner and then try to find out info about it.Not one email was ever answered. I personally will not buy another Uniden product of any kind. Period! They're dead to me. I would bet my last dollar that there will be a class action suite over this. Check out the Uniden forum at radio reference and see for yourself how many other unhappy customers Uniden has. I also personally think that the good reviews are from people that didn't want/need the unavailable features or are affiliated with Uniden to try to boost sales.There are people in the forums that constantly belittle the people that complain that Uniden is doing nothing and not listening to them. You know the people that paid $600 dollars for something and didn't get what they paid for. I call them customers.Those people will think long and hard before buying anything with a Uniden label on it again.

Amazon.com: Todd Lewis' review of Uniden BCD536HP Digital Phase 2 Base/Mobil...

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
It would be nice to see a forum thread like this carry on without all the side drama. But yeah that's asking a lot. So I guess my question is, can we get a forum thread going that addresses this issue and maybe get some half solid, somewhat firm answers? And if the Moderators, Managers and Admin's can't comment, at least keep the topic on track without closing it. Is this possible?

The only person that can provide "firm" answers is Paul (UPMan)...or some other representative from Uniden. Other than that it's all speculation/conjecture/whatever.

We may have some beta testers here, but any response they might give still isn't "official".

durangoGreg

The only person that can provide "firm" answers is Paul (UPMan)...or some other representative from Uniden. Other than that it's all speculation/conjecture/whatever.

We may have some beta testers here, but any response they might give still isn't "official".

That is what makes this situation so frustrating!

Paul doesn't want to provide a hard date for completion because Uniden is so confused with how to fix the performance issues, even he doesn't have a clue on a release date. He can only make general statements that really don't give the current customers any real sense of satisfaction. So as a result, Paul stays silent.

Since Uniden does not give any information what-so-ever, new customers keep on buying the 536 only to find out when they open the package that there is no analyze , no wifi, and no siren app. All key advertised features which don't currently exist. This leads to more pissed off customers and more rants on RR.

The entire situation is a mess and Uniden definitely handled the release of the BCD 536HP very very poorly.

All the current customer can do is wait, wait, and wait some more hoping that Uniden eventually comes through with something. I used to buy a lot of Uniden products but in the future after this fiasco I am definitely looking elsewhere.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, I've deleted many posts that had nothing to do with the topic. There's enough drama in the world without all the crap that was posted here. If you can't stick to the OP's original post then don't post.

I'll contact XTS3000 directly about his post which he feels was edited heavily.

Last edited:

JamesO

The Analyze function has nothing to do with the WiFi dongle and it isn't out yet either? It really doesn't look like either function was ever intended to launch with the radio at this point.

How about a firmware release for Analyze? It might me nice to finish something on these radios.

^+100000

This, not sure why this is delayed??

Works on the HP-1 without WiFi, also likely a carry over from the HP-1 anyway. The hardest part I see is the different screen size and layout on the two different x36HP units and no color.

Oh well, we always want what we can't have!

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Analyze

I don't want something I can't have, I just want what I paid for. Seems like a simply concept.

^+100000

This, not sure why this is delayed??

Works on the HP-1 without WiFi, also likely a carry over from the HP-1 anyway. The hardest part I see is the different screen size and layout on the two different x36HP units and no color.

Oh well, we always want what we can't have!

JamesO

I don't want something I can't have, I just want what I paid for. Seems like a simply concept.

I fully agree, but it seems the simple things these days hit the floor and fall into the black hole.

I think the focus is on other things, which is very sad.

Unable to see the forest because of the trees??

wise871

Database Admin

Les
Have you noticed that there has not been any mentions of the Analyzer since the original x36HP announcement? I did a forums search. We've gotten small updates on the Siren App and the Wi-Fi dongle but no Analyzer questions have ever been answered that I can see. Not even a status update on the progress. Makes me wonder if it was just an idea during the release and never something that was hard coded for beta release for testers. You figured in 7 months they would have released this feature since it doesn't need the dongle. Just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.