BCD536HP and BCD436HP - Using BOTH with Sentinel - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

snazz123

A little background before I ask my questions, if you'll indulge me.

I am not new to analog scanning having had a Radio Shack PRO-43 Hyperscan Scanner for years.

However, I sprang for a BCD536HP this Summer. Frankly, I've barely scratched the surface of the multitude of features on this scanner having had very little time to "play". I haven't even gotten around to creating "Favorites" yet. Sad, eh?

I'm a Macintosh guy through and through but do have a Dell that I use from time to time. (Thank goodness as it kills me that scanner software for Mac never seems to arrive for this realm but that's another story.) So, I've been using Sentinel on the PC to check for Firmware and Database updates pretty regularly.

Now, I had a desire to get a handheld scanner, especially for usage during power outages. I thought: "No sense having two learning curves since the 536 and 436 have so many similar features so I'll get the 436." Well, the 436 just arrived yesterday and I let the rechargeable batteries charge overnight. Now to my questions.

I connected the USB cable to the Dell and started the Dell. I then launched the Sentinel software. It "saw" my 436 scanner just fine. Firmware did not need updating. Fine. However Sentinel looked at the 436 Database and said it did not need updating. Since this new scanner may have been in its box for months I found this to be odd since the database is updated weekly. Sure enough whilst I was poking around in "Manage Full Database" I found, under "Information" that the "db Version" is 09/24/2014. Hmmmm. Then I thought "I wonder if Sentinel is seeing the status of the 536 scanner." So, my question is: How do I use Sentinel to independently update Firmware or the Database? I suspect I'll eventually have separate "Favorites" that I would also not like to be commingled from one scanner to another. I also suspect that there may be something I missed in the menu settings that would allow Sentinel to handle, appropriately, BOTH Uniden scanners. True?

Thanks for any guidance/input on these issues folks!

SNazz123

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
A little background before I ask my questions, if you'll indulge me.

I am not new to analog scanning having had a Radio Shack PRO-43 Hyperscan Scanner for years.

However, I sprang for a BCD536HP this Summer. Frankly, I've barely scratched the surface of the multitude of features on this scanner having had very little time to "play". I haven't even gotten around to creating "Favorites" yet. Sad, eh?

I'm a Macintosh guy through and through but do have a Dell that I use from time to time. (Thank goodness as it kills me that scanner software for Mac never seems to arrive for this realm but that's another story.) So, I've been using Sentinel on the PC to check for Firmware and Database updates pretty regularly.

Now, I had a desire to get a handheld scanner, especially for usage during power outages. I thought: "No sense having two learning curves since the 536 and 436 have so many similar features so I'll get the 436." Well, the 436 just arrived yesterday and I let the rechargeable batteries charge overnight. Now to my questions.

I connected the USB cable to the Dell and started the Dell. I then launched the Sentinel software. It "saw" my 436 scanner just fine. Firmware did not need updating. Fine. However Sentinel looked at the 436 Database and said it did not need updating. Since this new scanner may have been in its box for months I found this to be odd since the database is updated weekly. Sure enough whilst I was poking around in "Manage Full Database" I found, under "Information" that the "db Version" is 09/24/2014. Hmmmm. Then I thought "I wonder if Sentinel is seeing the status of the 536 scanner." So, my question is: How do I use Sentinel to independently update Firmware or the Database? I suspect I'll eventually have separate "Favorites" that I would also not like to be commingled from one scanner to another. I also suspect that there may be something I missed in the menu settings that would allow Sentinel to handle, appropriately, BOTH Uniden scanners. True?

Thanks for any guidance/input on these issues folks!

SNazz123

You need to "write" to the scanner to get the updated database from Sentinel into the scanner. It's a 2 step process. Update it in Sentinel, and then "write" it to the scanner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When you check for new database, it checks against the version in Sentinel, not the version in the scanner. As mentioned, simply "Write to Scanner" to get the latest into the scanner.

snazz123

Hello fxdscon and UPMan. I feel the fool!

I had been selecting the Update menu and thought when the database was coming down from the Uniden servers that it was writing that db to the BCP536HP each time I did that. A check of the db version revealed I never had written the database to the desktop scanner! I checked and the db I was stuck at 02/23/2014. (Ironically, and perhaps, spiritually, February 23rd was my deceased mother's birthday. Perhaps finding that today was a Christmas greeting from her from the great beyond!)

Thanks to you both for the clear, concise explanations. I can't believe I missed this part in Sentinel.

Best of the Season to you both!

SNazz123

fenderblue

Home Patrol--Forgot how to program FL

Not using Sentinel just doing it manually. Got all my conventional channels install properly but when I install just one P25 talk group it must scan all groups in the state or towers. I had done this before but I forgot how I corrected it. Trying to use MOSWIN here in Missouri.

Voyager

Easiest way is to use the SW and lock out any distant (never go there) Sites.

And when the scanner scans sites with no control channels, it really doesn't take much time. It can scan 100 inactive sites in one second. The problem comes about when there are other systems using the same frequencies or even the same system using them for more than one Site. That will slow down the scanning.

fenderblue

Voyager, you are right got going my direction now. How many towers does a person really now for a desktop scanning 20 miles in your opinion?

Voyager

Voyager, you are right got going my direction now. How many towers does a person really now for a desktop scanning 20 miles in your opinion?

That all depends on how many sites cover that area and any adjacent areas you want to hear. If you are at a fixed location, you should be able to see which Sites are currently active, so you know to not lock them out. Or you can scan only the strongest.

Status
Not open for further replies.