RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Software Discussion

Uniden Software Discussion - Topics shall be specific to Uniden produced software though third party non-programming software is permitted. Please see the Scanner Programming Software category for all third-party programming software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 11:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Computer programing

Is the BCD396XT programmable from a Mac or PC via USB cable like my BCD396T?
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

yes it is, a special cable that comes wiith the scanner , serial to mini usb, or you can use a usb to serial converter, or there is a usb cable that runs usb to mini for the radio. This is asn optional cable from Uniden, runs $29.95
Old 02-05-2015, 1:26 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikontraveler View Post
Is the BCD396XT programmable from a Mac or PC via USB cable like my BCD396T?
Yes.. Same cable.. I use the same program, ProScan....You just have to tell the program its the XT on setup
Old 02-06-2015, 2:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Now that is interesting. Uniden offered something that we could use items from Christmas Past on. A cable from yesteryear.
Old 02-12-2015, 3:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You could also use FreeScan, which I use, available from FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software. It will read/write to 11 scanners, including both your 396T and 396XT. You could read the T, and write the file to your XT. Can't get much easier. If you like it, you could make a donation to the author (I have no connection to the company).
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2015, 7:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Try the DB9 Method

Guess I'm old fashion because I use DB9-pin males connected with 2-conductor shielded cable to remote control my BCD996XT's. DB9's are readily available in any electronics store. I do have a bunch of USB cables that I bought at the 99 Cent store and have thought about cutting one end off and soldering on a DB9M. This would be helpful to use with newer computers that don't have the DB9 Serial Port. The other advantage is you don't have to open Device Manager to program the serial port because USB does this automatically. If you do use a DB9 cable, insure the pins 2&3 are reversed at one end (null modem), otherwise it will not work.
Old 05-28-2015, 1:33 PM

I can't get the software to work on my MacBook Air. I downloaded software, bought the USB cable and I'm stuck....
Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 PM

wbaker121

You don't mention software. ProScan and Freescan are Windows only. You'll need Parallels on a Mac to run them. (While I have a Macbook, I seldom use it and don't have Parallels, so my opinions are from what I've read, not what I've done).
Old 06-23-2015, 9:50 PM

Ordered the cable and trying tomorrow. I'm trying on my step-daughter's PC, as I own a Macbook Pro. I received my scanner as a Father's Day gift and still pretty "wet behind the ears" on scanning. I had a conventional scanner about 15 years ago, but have since lost touch.
Please wish me luck !
Old 06-24-2015, 4:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default file

here is a file you may use to get started on odessa, Texas. Its a Freescan file, zipped per RR requirements. Depending on your antenna, you hay go for further out counties After the computer recognizes and assigns you a comport, install the file..
Attached Files
File Type: zip odessa midland.zip (4.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 06-24-2015, 6:13 AM

Hey, thanx a ton !
Old 06-24-2015, 9:40 PM

Default lost...

Well.....i give up. I'm guessing I'll just ship off to get my scanner programmed. I had ordered the USB cable for it. Tried the freescan and the download forwarded to me, but I'm guessing I'm not too savvy on this..
Old 06-24-2015, 9:42 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Neverpanic, this article from our wiki (anything that's blue is a link) has links to just about everything you need to know about how to get started programming these Uniden DMA scanners...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

At the bottom of this article are links to the Easier to Read manuals. Click on the link for your radio.

Between this and the Trunking basics article (also linked in the above page, and a subject that many find a little daunting at first) you should have more than enough to get started. Be sure to bookmark this article - likely you will come back to it again

Mike

Tags
bcd396xt, pc programing, usb