Using Siren outside of home LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

plutonium233

Hello,

I recently bought a BCD536HP, and so far I've been able to get Siren working on the home network. I would like to be able to listen to and control the scanner remotely; however, I am running into some issues with setting this up. Initially, I thought it would be as simple as port forwarding and using my dynamic DNS, but I quickly found out that this isn't feasible. I decided to try the VPN route so I followed some instructions online to configure a Windows 7 PC as a VPN server (PPTP). I was able to connect to it with my iPhone once I got it up and running, but I haven't been able to get the Siren app to connect. It seems like several people were able to get this working easily but it hasn't worked out for me so far. I am using the same IP (192.168.1.14) as before, but it refuses to connect.

The only thing I can guess is that maybe this VPN server isn't truly a VPN server in that it will allow me to access other devices on my network, but it will let me access printers, shares, etc on that particular machine. I don't know this for sure, but that is the only thing I can imagine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try next? Note: I looked into using my router to setup the VPN server, but it doesn't have that capability and I can't readily upgrade it since it is an ADSL router that belongs to my ISP.

Thanks in advance!

plutonium233

I wanted to post a quick update to my last post. As it turns out, I was connected to the scanner during my tests and didn't realize it because I wasn't getting any audio or text on the app. I was sitting close by the scanner and did a couple button presses on the app and heard the feedback on the scanner so it must be connected. Is it possible poor reception on the cell phone would cause this?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Uniden has a "down the road" plan where someone can link back to their scanners via internet. At this point, the Siren App is pretty much limited to the home's WIFI footprint.

I've seen some posts, probably those with real high technical skills, set up some type of port forwarding. However I suspect this is rather limited.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Uniden has a "down the road" plan where someone can link back to their scanners via internet. At this point, the Siren App is pretty much limited to the home's WIFI footprint.

I've seen some posts, probably those with real high technical skills, set up some type of port forwarding. However I suspect this is rather limited.

I just put the 536HP in my truck set to AP mode. Got a IPOD Touch and use Siren on the IPOD to control the scanner albeit not the volume except on the Ipod. The scanner runs 24/7 in the truck and has a Meanwell voltage stabilizer so it doesn't reboot on engine start. In AP mode the scanner is the WIFI network so you can travel wherever you wish not just in your home WIFI footprint. the downfall is it is only good for the IPOD in the truck.

Granted a windows tablet running ProScan would work a whole lot better as PS allows volume control and a whole lot more than Siren does.

While at home I connect to the scanner's Wi-Fi on my home computer and run ProScan to connect via the Computer wireless WIFI while the wired Ethernet still allows for internet connection.

Last edited:

plutonium233

Thanks for the replies! I installed Proscan to give it a try and it has now replaced my Radiofeed that I had been using for my old scanner. This is some really cool software, especially since I can get all my audio and metadata via Wifi in infrastructure mode. Right now, I have an audio stream running via Web Server, but I haven't figured out the remote control part. It isn't allowing any sort of control that I can tell. I assumed that I needed to set a password to make it active so I did that and still no-go. In fact, if I set a password on anything, the web server times out and quits responding (accessing via Safari on IOS).

Any ideas?

scosgt

Thanks for the replies! I installed Proscan to give it a try and it has now replaced my Radiofeed that I had been using for my old scanner. This is some really cool software, especially since I can get all my audio and metadata via Wifi in infrastructure mode. Right now, I have an audio stream running via Web Server, but I haven't figured out the remote control part. It isn't allowing any sort of control that I can tell. I assumed that I needed to set a password to make it active so I did that and still no-go. In fact, if I set a password on anything, the web server times out and quits responding (accessing via Safari on IOS).

Any ideas?

Remote control requires running the Scanner over IP, not the web server.
Then you run the proscan app on your remote computer in client mode.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Remote control requires running the Scanner over IP, not the web server.
Then you run the proscan app on your remote computer in client mode.

Actually Remote Control works with the Web Server too. It's been awhile since I last used Safari so I'll test to make sure login works and remote control works. Chrome remote control works as I used it today.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
The best working solution I have found for my x36's is PROSCAN $50.00 allows recording, logging, remote listing, and remote control of the x36 scanners.

Well, now my question is how do you get the display big enough to see on a 7 inch tablet? I went to the lowest resolution, but everything is still tiny. Be nice if ProScan would fill the screen in scanner only mode.

Moose

After installing the Desktop app, registering, then adding a Chrome browser to my phone I come to discover that the audio technology is not supported on an Iphone. Back to square one. Nice app but I can't use it.

n1fm

Wish I would have researched better that one must have Apple products to use the WiFi feature.. Have a 536 and will hold onto hope that something will be out for Android and PC for the wifi feature.. Tom.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
n1fm you can use proscan and a windows client with no problems. I have stated here before that you can use proscan running on a windows 7 pc and link to it with teamviewer through windows, android, apple phone or a apple computer. With this option you get REMOTE CONTROL DATA LOGGING CHANNEL AUDIO RECORDING. All local or away from home. This is the setup I have working now been using it almost a year even gives you all these features on the BCD436HP as well as the BCD996P2.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I am 58 still working over 100 hours a week and I have no problem with an 8 inch tablet or a Samsung S5. I guess it is like a 6 foot 9 inch man buying a smart car and complaining about the lack of room in the car. If you do not see well buy a larger screen. If your fingers are big buy a larger tablet. In my line of work you do not make excuses you find solutions.

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
I an watching this thread carefully. My goal is remote and home scanning with various devices (Android, iPhone, iPad, Mac and PC). Proscan with Teamviewer sounds like a good solution.

Are you guys finding the Wi-Fi dongle stays connected or dropping of the network after a period of time.

Anyone found a remote On/Off method or do I need to leave the radio on?

I hope Uniden continually develop Siren to offer a more complete solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.