Sentinel is the WORST POS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

I just spent 2 hours organizing a new profile for my 436, saved it, started a new profile to import the current state of my 436, tried to open my new profile again and it is the same as the 2nd profile I created!!!! WTF? Is Undo really hard to program these days?? What an antiquated POS.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just spent 2 hours organizing a new profile for my 436, saved it, started a new profile to import the current state of my 436, tried to open my new profile again and it is the same as the 2nd profile I created!!!! WTF? Is Undo really hard to program these days?? What an antiquated POS.

Sentinel is very capable and easy to use software. The forum is searchable, and you will find many posts about creating profiles.

Also, some info on that here:

Using Profiles

ALL the "favorites lists" you have created in Sentinel will appear in ALL "profiles" that you create in Sentinel.

If you add or delete some favorites lists in one profile, they will be added or deleted in all profiles.

Use the profile editor to set up each individual profile to determine which of those favorites lists will be sent to the scanner, and which of those lists will be monitored when you power up the scanner after loading up that profile..

kruser

Premium Subscriber

If you read the radio into your new profile, it will replace the new profile with the settings or profile stored in the radio.

I have several profiles and just open one and write it to the radio before I read the radio.

I ran into the same problem as you when I brought my 436 home from work. Not thinking, I read it into Sentinel and my main 536 profile was overwritten by the profile and data from my 436!
In my case, I was able to simply create a 536 profile and then just read my 536 back into Sentinel and I was back in business.

Being as you can't have more than one copy of Sentinel installed, I ended up installing a copy on another machine that is used for just the 436 as I kept forgetting to open the correct profile before reading or writing the radio I was working with.

I don't find Sentinel to be a POS as you called it. It may need some small tweaks here and there but for the most part, it is very easy to use and does what I need very well.

rwier

Based upon a few posts that I can recall, there are a few RR Members (including myself) that have little use for Sentinel's "Profiles". However, I find making dozens of FLs for individual Sites, individual locations, and Individual Channel and TG preferences, to be quick and easy.

1MO-Bob

Premium Subscriber
SD Cards

I just keep SD cards set up with different profiles, and favorite lists so I can use what I need when I need it,or want it. I keep two SD cards of each profile in case I have a problem with a card for some reason I don't need to start over just copy and go. SD cards are cheap insurance for me.

Thanks Bob

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'd grade Sentinel a C, C+ at best. It gets the job done, but it's not as intuitive as it could be. The whole profiles thing got me too.

I'd like to see a future version make profiles independent of each other. My next vehicle will have either the 996P2 or 536HP in it and I'd leaning towards the 536, so it would be nice to be able to manage both my current 436 and a future 536 using the same computer (i.e. a profile for each scanner) rather than having Sentinel on two PCs, each dedicated to a particular scanner.

Yes, I know many people manage multiple x36HPs using one PC/Sentinel install, but I'd rather not deal with the whole making sure my 536 FLs Download=OFF for my 436 and vice versa. That method works, but it's not as efficient as it could be.

KA2ZEY

Maybe my frustration got the best of me when I posted this but at least why not a freakin' Undo option? I'm sweating every time I make a change on my profile. And a back button? Really awkward.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
The only time I use profiles is when I'm programming my scanner for broadcasting, traveling, at home, and in the truck.

The only thing your really getting using them is custom settings (436 vs. 536 preferences), and what lists load when you turn the radio on. I find using the quick keys do a great job of turning lists on and off because whatever is in list A wont change no matter what profile you pick.

Give it a month and it will be second nature.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Invariably whenever I first use computer software of any nature, I use the same words. After a little bit of time, patience and practice, things get better.

What Shyflyer wants to do is easily accomplished in Sentinel. Open the profile, do a "Save As" and "Create a New Profile". Then open that newly created/duplicate profile and make changes based on the other scanner.

I've done that same thing for my "house" and "car" 536s. There are just a few little differences. The big thing to remember is that you are working with the correct profile for the correct scanner. That's shown on the very top row of Sentinel.

Voyager

Invariably whenever I first use computer software of any nature, I use the same words. After a little bit of time, patience and practice, things get better.

Well said. Anytime a user does not understand SW, it's the SW's fault.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Anytime a user does not understand SW, it's the SW's fault.

Of course it's the SWs fault. Who else ya gonna blame it on!!

Kidding aside, I agree and once you play with it a while, it comes naturally to you.
Heck, it even does a darn good job with exporting so you can import into the Home Patrol models. Going the other way takes a few extra steps as you must assign the QKs when importing from a Home Patrol but that is also easy once you have done it a couple times.

I actually like Sentinel. I find it much easier to use for manipulating my favorites than any of the 3rd party software out there.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

Did you try the Butel.nl ARC536 demo? http://www.butelsoftware.com

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
What Shyflyer wants to do is easily accomplished in Sentinel. Open the profile, do a "Save As" and "Create a New Profile". Then open that newly created/duplicate profile and make changes based on the other scanner.
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, the part that I don't like is that the FLs I've created under one profile are still there.

Think of it this way: I can manage my iPhone and iPad with one copy of iTunes, yet have the content (apps, videos, music) on each device totally unique. Yes, I know many people manage multiple x36s with the same Sentinel install, but I feel the current layout of Sentinel makes that endeavor clunky at best.

marksmith

Obviously you are mis-informed as to what you think it does. Having used every scanner software app out there, as long as you are using 536 or 436, this is the best.

I generally don't use different profiles, though I have in the past. Once I got a few radios using either version of Sentinel, I find it easier to maintain one profile, upload that to all the radios, and then simply turn on/off whatever favorites lists I want active in that radio.

That way I maintain one pile of files, but use them in multiple radios. It's so easy to flip favorites lists on and off on the radios, the whole profile thing requires too much work as far as I am concerned.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
iTunes is probably a good comparison. Favorites Lists in Sentinel are like music files in iTunes. Playlists in iTunes are like Profiles in Sentinel.

With Sentinel, creating Favorites Lists is an effort and I would rather not have to re-create them for multiple scanners. If I don't want FL 1 to be active for Profile A I just set it to Monitor Off or perhaps even Download Off if I don't want it to go to a given scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Also, you have another option. It's very inefficient but would accomplish the same objective. You could use the Tools>Options and have a whole different folder for your other scanner. Then recreate Favorites Lists as you wish.

I don't advocate this, but still wanted to mention this possibility.

Voyager

However, the part that I don't like is that the FLs I've created under one profile are still there.

They show in Sentinel. They are not DLed to the scanner unless the DL is set to ON in the profile.

The other side of the coin is that you don't have to copy them to the new profile.

rwier

" ... I find it easier to maintain one profile, upload that to all the radios, and then simply turn on/off whatever favorites lists I want active in that radio ... "

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Agree completely! After a very short learning period, I found creating FLs in Sentinel to be quick, easy, and actually somewhat enjoyable. In contrast, my few ventures into the world of profiles left me frustrated and confused. I quickly decided that I don't have enough "time" left for the hassle, lol.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have ARC536 Pro but find it annoying that I can only work on one Favorites list at a time. But maybe I'm looking at the workflow of organizing my 436 the wrong way. Also, can you update the database in ARC?

That's the same reason I did not like ARC536!

As far as updating the main database, that can only be done via Sentinel.

Status
Not open for further replies.