How's Digital Frequency Search Quick Import working for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Howdy scanners,

Greg told me I was missing the action over here, and I do have a question...

I was wondering how many of you have used the Quick Import for Sentinel on Digital Frequency Search and how that worked for you? If you have any ideas for improvements, please let me know.

I know one issue that I need to improve is to show people how to enable scanning for all service group types.

It's really great of Uniden to link to my website from their documentation, and I hope it has helped you find more digital radio broadcasts. The DMR scanning on Uniden is really good; I recommend buying the upgrade if there is DMR in your area.

DMR + Uniden rocks.

Justin

troymail

Silent Key
It's a good start but I've found so much inaccurate info with emission types in the FCC license data, I opted to start "grabbing" all of the licensed (to include expired) frequency data for the counties I look at. I typically then remove the mobile/non-repeater frequencies (if I need to be that close, they aren't doing me all that much good).

I was doing this with scripts but lately I just go to:

Site / Market / Frequency Query

and then cut and paste the results either into a spreadsheet or import them directly into EZ Scan (note: Uniden makes it much harder to do direct imports).

I am looking for ANY activity on the frequency - analog, digital (P25, NXDN, DMR, etc.) - again, because I find so many licenses/frequencies that are doing other than what their license says.

I find programming frequencies directly from some form of license data (with mobile frequencies removed) tends to scan a whole lot faster than trying to do frequency range searches.

Recently, in my area, I was on a hunt trying to find where an active NXDN frequency was coming from. Turns out, it is/was part of a now expired license in my area. Without picking up the expired stuff, this would have been missed. And, as I described above, the original license didn't list any digital modes/emissions so without looking at everything, it is an example of things that get missed.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Troy, as you might imagine, I've looked at a lot of licenses over the past year. The license information is marginal in many areas. The FCC is indifferent. So are most of the licensees.

I too do what you say, and I'll go ahead and share my Easter Egg:

FMP Frequency File

Ignore what the page says, just do the search and you might find it useful :wink::wink:

I can put one up for Sentinel if people would use it. I just don't have a 436, so I have no need to import into Sentinel for exploring.

To make the data from the all frequency search better, copy it into Excel first and have it remove the duplicate frequencies.

I am working on a much better database... But, for this post, I am really interested in the actual act of the import process rather than data quality. Does it work well enough for people or would it be better to just have HPD/E files?

That said, I stand by the data in my website and think it will help most anyone hear a lot of digital radio broadcasts.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Ignore everything on the page except for the search function. It's not supposed to be a front facing page. It's what I use to program my Whistlers when out and about with all frequencies. I know the page is FMP stuff, but if you do the search, it's all frequencies formatted for Whistler.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It does (if you use DMR search).

Teltronic, Inc. 100MO8 YG - 468.450000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 50FB8 YG - 461.375000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 50FB8 YG - 461.950000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 50FB8 YG - 463.637500 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 40MO8 YG - 466.375000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 40MO8 YG - 466.950000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 40MO8 YG - 468.637500 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
WG SALISBURY SH, LLC 4MO IG - 451.187500 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. Well even in the FMP24 export (where your link sent me), it shows up:
Teltronic, Inc. 100MO8 YG - 466.450000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
Teltronic, Inc. 100MO8 YG - 466.775000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
Teltronic, Inc. 100MO8 YG - 466.850000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
Teltronic, Inc. 100MO8 YG - 467.125000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
Teltronic, Inc. 100MO8 YG - 467.350000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
Teltronic, Inc. 100MO8 YG - 468.450000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 50FB8 YG - 461.375000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 50FB8 YG - 461.950000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 50FB8 YG - 463.637500 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 40MO8 YG - 466.375000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 40MO8 YG - 466.950000 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
TRIANGLE COMMUNICATIONS INC 40MO8 YG - 468.637500 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
WG SALISBURY SH, LLC 4MO IG - 451.187500 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
WG SALISBURY SH, LLC 4MO IG - 452.287500 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off
WG SALISBURY SH, LLC 4MO IG - 456.312500 Auto NAC/Color Code Search Custom 1 Off 1sec Off Blue / On 0 None Off

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That's weird. I thought that is the form I'd used...but now it isn't returning the same thing (or I was on a different form that looked identical...).

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Troy, the "SpecialSearch" pulls from the FMP data, which might just be out of date. That system is pretty new.

The "SpecialSearch" is just something I threw together while traveling earlier this year. It's not operation or public ready.

I am having a lot of problems with the host (for instance, they changed a server setting that is preventing DMR searches in larger counties from working), GoDaddy, so over the past 2 weeks I have been working on moving everything over to my own server. The FMP update triggers their bandwidth throttle, so the site runs like crap for a day or two after I update FMP... and very few people use the FMP frequency file.

Would exporting a favorites file be useful, or is the copy and paste method easier?

Note, with a favorite file, that something like grouping FB6/FB8 into systems becomes possible.

UPMan, thanks for the link. It's my biggest referral behind the search engines. People buy a Uniden scanner from time to time from my product recommendation page as well.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
That's weird. I thought that is the form I'd used...but now it isn't returning the same thing (or I was on a different form that looked identical...).

Yes, probably so, it's a tricky Easter Egg, probably shouldn't have thrown it out there. Just me testing stuff and playing around. I copied a random page to keep things obscure.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
All of the DMR/NXDN/P25/Quick Import data is up to date as of this morning. Power went out yesterday morning during attempted update. FMP data is old, even though it might list today's date on some of the pages that pull from that database.

phask

Premium Subscriber
First - Thanks...

I've had issues importing into Sentinel, had to dump into Excel or a text editor and "massage" first. Might just be me though. (that was a DMR system)

A direct favorite list would definitely help me and probably many others.

fwiw-- have years of importing, converting data and txt files, but getting rustier every year -

Troy, the "SpecialSearch" pulls from the FMP data, which might just be out of date. That system is pretty new.

Would exporting a favorites file be useful, or is the copy and paste method easier?

Note, with a favorite file, that something like grouping FB6/FB8 into systems becomes possible.

UPMan, thanks for the link. It's my biggest referral behind the search engines. People buy a Uniden scanner from time to time from my product recommendation page as well.

Last edited:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
What web browser and what county? Was it the regular or advanced Quick Import for Sentinel?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel is still tab separated, correct? Or does it need commas now?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I have Sentinel Version 1.07 (revision 05). Quick Import is working from both Chrome and Firefox into Sentinel for me. Did something change somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.