Android SIREN App

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
So since the iPhone version kinda sucks, I need to know from anyone using it on Android. Can you turn on and off ANY Favorite? iPhone only allows control of 1-10; if Android does any list, then I'll more than likely get a cheap BS tablet to use the 536 in the car again. Thanks in advance for the help

wbswetnam

The Android version of Siren 'kinda' sucks, too. The biggest problem is with frequently losing the link between the scanner and the Android device, such that you have to reset it every five to forty-five minutes in AP mode. Also, there are numerous audio drop-outs and delays. I gave up on it a long time ago. I disconnected the wi-fi dongle and tossed it into the junk box.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've never had an issue with the connection dropping out. There is about a 1 second audio delay, but since I never use the audio in the app (and wish I could permanently turn it off), it's not an issue.

The biggest plus is that the display is much easier to see in my truck and it contains more information than the display on the 536HP. I only wish there was a cable option for the 436HP.

Then again, I've never used it in AP mode, so it might be different.

The Android version of Siren 'kinda' sucks, too. The biggest problem is with frequently losing the link between the scanner and the Android device, such that you have to reset it every five to forty-five minutes in AP mode. Also, there are numerous audio drop-outs and delays. I gave up on it a long time ago. I disconnected the wi-fi dongle and tossed it into the junk box.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber

I use a cheap BLU Android phone. Works OK. I experience occasional drop outs but not as many as this person has and not enough to give up. But sometimes the dongle take s along time to give me wifi upon radio startup. Seems random. Seen it with iPhone and the BLU.

Anyway, I switch between these FL frequently: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 18, 92. I guess this means you can access more than just 1-10.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I use a cheap BLU Android phone. Works OK. I experience occasional drop outs but not as many as this person has and not enough to give up. But sometimes the dongle take s along time to give me wifi upon radio startup. Seems random. Seen it with iPhone and the BLU.

Anyway, I switch between these FL frequently: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 18, 92. I guess this means you can access more than just 1-10.

That's my biggest thing the favorite lists. Whenever I use the Apple app, I can only access 1-10. Trying turning on 21 and it turn off list 2. Maybe I'll get a cheap tablet then and put my 536 mounted in the trunk. I miss having it in the car. The HP2 is nice, but it ain't the 536. Thanks to all for the responses.

Ubbe

The Android version seems much more developed and not stop quitting on you like the Iphone.
For some reason the Iphone regional settings are changing the dot to a comma in the ip settings and I have to cut and paste the dot when changing ip numbers while the Android have the proper dot.

/Ubbe

garys

Premium Subscriber
A couple of things that the Android app should do, but doesn't. First, if you have a frequency set to search for tone, whether it be analog or digital, Siren will show "Search", but will not show the results when it finds a tone. Also, for digital trunking, the display will not show P25, PT1, PT2, or even DMR on Siren.

All of this shows up on the scanner itself, but is not sent to Siren.

Minor, but annoying.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I use the Android version of Siren. It will toggle 2-digit Quick Keys, but it has occasional audio pauses even in infrastructure mode where you hear the first half of a word, then a few seconds of silence, then the rest of the word. I am pretty sure it's not a Wi-Fi or router issue, because the pauses don't happen when I connect to the scanner with ProScan.

troymail

Silent Key
Seeing what was delivered, the app - iPhone or Android, like other Uniden software, is just a basic solution and/or demo... they're still hoping a third party will develop a real app... they just didn't say that in the "flagship" sales pitch 4+ years ago.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The unscheduled audio pauses seem to happen mostly at the end of a transmission, so the last half-second or so of audio gets cut off and plays later.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
To clarify, the last half-second of almost every transmission is cut off, and is either dropped, or prepended to the beginning of the next transmission, like this:

"Rescue 11 in serv-"

"-ice. Acknowledged, Rescue 11 returning to service, eleven fif-"

"-ty. Tower 7 in ser-"

"-vice. Eleven-fifty-o-"

The shorter the interval between transmissions, the more likely the tail end of the previous transmission will be prepended to the next. The longer the interval, the greater the probability the tail end will be dropped.

Ubbe

Have you done a speed test from the mobile and also checked who else are on your WiFi channel or on the neighbouring channels that could interfere with your connection making it sporadic and have to resend datapackages?

/Ubbe

mule1075

Feed Provider
Don't think it would make a difference for him as mine and a friend's exhibit the same thing.Tried on multiple occasions different routers different Internet providers etc.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The problem never occurs when listening to the same scanner through the same router on the same Wi-Fi channel using ProScan, so it's absolutely a problem with the app.

studio1930

I wasn't going to purchase my 536HP when I only knew about the Siren app since it doesn't really work. Once I found out about the ProScan app, I tested it with my 436HP and then promptly purchased the 536HP. The ProScan app is excellent!

garys

Premium Subscriber
That only works with Windows, correct?

There seem to be some pretty smart folks here, I wonder why no one has come up with a better Android app for the 536HP? It would certainly be a good seller.

I wasn't going to purchase my 536HP when I only knew about the Siren app since it doesn't really work. Once I found out about the ProScan app, I tested it with my 436HP and then promptly purchased the 536HP. The ProScan app is excellent!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
That only works with Windows, correct?

There seem to be some pretty smart folks here, I wonder why no one has come up with a better Android app for the 536HP? It would certainly be a good seller.

On the server side yes, since ProScan is a Windows app. On the client side, No, Any browser on any OS can remote control and hear the audio on the supported scanners.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any luck using Siren with Android 8.1.0 (Oreo). Since my latest upgrade to the Pixel 2 XL, Siren no longer works. The app starts, but then error messages just start popping up. Crash and burn.

ThomasMcKean

Seeing what was delivered, the app - iPhone or Android, like other Uniden software, is just a basic solution and/or demo... they're still hoping a third party will develop a real app... they just didn't say that in the "flagship" sales pitch 4+ years ago.

Which pisses me off like you wouldn't believe. Very deceptive advertising. This was why I chose the 536 over the TRX. But it has been a serious disappointment all the way.

And Uniden really doesn't care. That makes it even worse. No better way to give the finger to your own customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.