Hold vs Delay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufust

Is there an easy to understand relation between the hold and delay settings on a 996P2.It is scanning but will p/u a broadcast and only get part of it before it cuts out or pauses but sometimes will come back to it.

troymail

Silent Key
Generally, "delay" is the time the radio stays on a channel or talkgroup following a transmission (awaiting a potential response).

Hold is a timer that is applied to how long the radio stays on a trunk system control channel before moving on to the next system or channel. The intent of the default of HOLD=0 is to have the radio only stay on a control channel long enough to check for activity of interest (to improve the scan rate/performance).

(Note: the duplication of entries here is directly from the above reference - some shows up under conventional channels and others show up in trunk system information).

Adjustable Scan/Search Delay/Resume - set a delay up to 30 seconds or a forced resume up to 10 seconds. (per system or search).

Set Delay Time sets the delay (in seconds) the amount of time the scanner stays on a channel after the transmission has ended before moving to the next channel. A negative delay will force a resume after that number of seconds. This setting applies to all channels in the system. You cannot set the delay on a 'per channel' basis. The default setting is 2 seconds.
Scroll to 'Set Delay Time' and press E/.
Scroll to the desired delay time (-10, -5, -2, 0, 1, 2, 5, 10, or 30 secs.) and press E/ to save and exit.

Set Delay Time sets the delay (in seconds) the amount of time the scanner stays on a channel after the transmission has ended before moving to the next channel. A negative delay will force a resume after that number of seconds. This setting applies to all channels in the system. You cannot set the delay on a 'per channel' basis. The default setting is 2 seconds.
Scroll to 'Set Delay Time' and press E/.
Scroll to the desired delay time (-10, -5, -2, 0, 1, 2, 5, 10, or 30 secs.) and press E/ to save and exit.

Set Hold Time sets (in seconds) the amount of time the scanner will scan the site before moving on to the next site. If you select 0 for trunking sites, the scanner stays on the site for at least 1 second. The scanner moves to the next site after the hold time expires, any current transmission ends, and the channel delay time expires. The default setting is 2 seconds for each site.
Tip: set your sites to 0.
Scroll to 'Set Hold Time' and press E/.
Enter the hold time (0-255 seconds) you desire and press E/ to save and exit.

Set Hold Time sets (in seconds) the amount of time the scanner will scan the system before moving on to the next system. All (unlocked) channels will be scanned at least once regardless of this setting. The scanner moves to the next system after the hold time expires, any current transmission ends, and the channel delay time expires. The default setting is 2 seconds for each system.
Tip: set your systems to 0.

Set Hold Time sets (in seconds) the amount of time the scanner will scan the site before moving on to the next site. If you select 0 for trunking sites, the scanner stays on the site for at least 1 second. The scanner moves to the next site after the hold time expires, any current transmission ends, and the channel delay time expires. The default setting is 2 seconds for each site.
Tip: set your sites to 0.

troymail

Silent Key
Welcome to P25 simulcast issues receiving them with a scanner.

This was in my head as well while answering but for now I decided to stick to answering your HOLD vs. DELAY. It is important to understand - particularly if you're trying different options to solve a problem.

Simulcast is a big problem and if the conversation is dropping and returning (same single message vs. a response), it is likely to be simulcast and there are limited solutions with varying degrees of successful results.

rufust

Thanks as an old hands on mechanical(Give me a Bridgeport and i can build it) guy I don't do well with some of these theories.

rufust

That is what is happening so I will just have to keep playing with settings.Your ID picture is definatly how I feel about some of this "progress"we are forced to deal with.
Thanks

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks as an old hands on mechanical(Give me a Bridgeport and i can build it) guy I don't do well with some of these theories.

New radio terminology now that was similar to your first days on the Bridgeport. Spend sometime here reading the different posts and asking questions and you will just as knowledgably confused as the rest of us.:D

At least it harder to break a radio from the front panel or programing software then breaking a tool or nicking the corner of your table vise.

Mike

troymail

Silent Key
That is what is happening so I will just have to keep playing with settings.Your ID picture is definatly how I feel about some of this "progress"we are forced to deal with.
Thanks

Simulcast will make you crazy trying to solve -- people will tell you they don't have the problem you are having and/or this radio vs. that radio will work, etc. Just like with many things, what works for some does not work for others. Still others don't not fully understand what simulcast really means and others "think" they are successfully monitoring a simulcast system but really are not.

In the end there is not alot you can do about it other than to acquire a radio that handles the simulcast properly... but the closest thing to a scanner in terms of price that you can buy today to do that is a pager and not a scanner.

a29zuk

Thanks

What system are you trying to monitor?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.