BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Cannot update from Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps249

I noticed yesterday I could not check for firmware updates nor can I update the database from Sentinel.I got the software open with the scanner fully charged and connected to the PC.I click on "update" and my scanner is not detected. I also click on update HPDB it says I have the latest software version. Very confusing as I dont know how this glitch got to be. Can someone help me get through this. I already deleted Sentinel from my PC then reinstalled it and I still get the same.
My scanner is running version: 1.11.31.

Anyone ??????

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Select "Mass Storage" when you connect the scanner.

Updating the database or firmware only works if you don't have the most current version. If you are up to date, Sentinel will not re-update you with what you already have. It's not a glitch.

ps249

Select "Mass Storage" when you connect the scanner.

Updating the database or firmware only works if you don't have the most current version. If you are up to date, Sentinel will not re-update you with what you already have. It's not a glitch.

Yes I am selecting "mass storage" still no luck.......

N9JIG

Sheriff
After you select Mass Storage does the SD card show up in Windows Explorer with a drive letter (like "E" or "F" etc.)?

If not check for a message in the Tray (bottom right of your computer display) asking what you want to do.

Once recognized, when you check for firmware Sentinel will either download the latest version or advise that you have the current one.

Also, in Sentinel when you check for the updated database it will let you know if you have the latest version or not. Look at the bottom left for the database date, the current one as of today is dated 12-24-17.

ps249

After you select Mass Storage does the SD card show up in Windows Explorer with a drive letter (like "E" or "F" etc.)?

If not check for a message in the Tray (bottom right of your computer display) asking what you want to do.

Once recognized, when you check for firmware Sentinel will either download the latest version or advise that you have the current one.

Also, in Sentinel when you check for the updated database it will let you know if you have the latest version or not. Look at the bottom left for the database date, the current one as of today is dated 12-24-17.

Yes it asks me what I want to do- the only option I get is to view the file. Sentinel does not recognize the scanner when I click on update- the "OK" button is shaded out.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Yes it asks me what I want to do- the only option I get is to view the file. Sentinel does not recognize the scanner when I click on update- the "OK" button is shaded out.

If you have a card reader try using that instead of the radio to access the SD Card.

If not do you have a different USB cable? There are some "Power Only" cables out there that work fine for charging batteries but do not work for data transfers.

Regardless, if it doesn't get assigned a drive letter Sentinel will not read it.

Also be sure (like Phask said) that you are using the x36 edition of Sentinel with the green shield (v 1.07 revision 05). If you have the HomePatrol version of Sentinel (brown shield) it will not work with your 436.

ps249

If you have a card reader try using that instead of the radio to access the SD Card.

If not do you have a different USB cable? There are some "Power Only" cables out there that work fine for charging batteries but do not work for data transfers.

Regardless, if it doesn't get assigned a drive letter Sentinel will not read it.

Also be sure (like Phask said) that you are using the x36 edition of Sentinel with the green shield (v 1.07 revision 05). If you have the HomePatrol version of Sentinel (brown shield) it will not work with your 436.

Thats it! I have the brown shield. I will work on updating. I did a system restore a while back so thats probably where the problem started.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.