Missing system

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Can someone please check to see if Sentinel shows PA/Dauphin/County and see if the Dauphin County Prison DMR shows on the list. For some reason it does not appear for me to select to add to my faves

Thanks

kma371

QRT
It does not.

It's likely because it has no known talkgroups. That's normal.

Last edited:

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
It does not. It may be because it's not listed under any subcatagory?

I've added it to a subcatagory at the top, when the database gets refreshed monday, check back and see if it's there.

You are the man!

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
In a different, lengthy thread, Uniden has said that they won't "fix" this --- i.e., by making the default be to Search for IDs instead of Scanning for only existing ones --- because they think most users want to ignore unidentified TGs. Specifically, they've said that a system with no IDed TGs is not a "scannable" system. While I think that's ridiculous, a [if irritating] solution is to program the system manually once, monitor it long enough to grab 1 TG, and submit that TG to RR. Voila, it will be in Sentinel the following week.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That mischaracterizes what I said. The main dB has no provision for ID Search. We only put things in the main dB that are scannable. Otherwise, the scanner would waste a bunch of time scanning systems that have nothing to actually scan and generate an entirely other set of complaints. I'm going to stick with the complaints I have.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
That mischaracterizes what I said. The main dB has no provision for ID Search. We only put things in the main dB that are scannable. Otherwise, the scanner would waste a bunch of time scanning systems that have nothing to actually scan and generate an entirely other set of complaints. I'm going to stick with the complaints I have.

I don't think I did, but Uniden and I [and lots of others] will just have to agree to disagree about whether it's best for users to give or deny them a setting in Sentinel as to how to treat systems in RR with as yet no IDed TGs: (A) Pretend like they don't exist [the current behavior], or (B) Import them into Sentinel with the system's search type set to "Search" and thus still getting to hear all of the traffic but having to put up with "TG: 12345" [for lots of us, the desired behavior to save us from having to manually enter the system, then miss updates once somebody does ID a TG].

If the problem is in the fact that only systems in the Main DB show in Sentinel's system picker but we don't want "non-scannable" systems in the Main DB lest a non-power user scanning the Main DB has the problem you described, then Sentinel could show all systems in the picker for manual inclusion in an FL, including "non-scannable" ones as Uniden defines that term, but only send "scannable" ones to the radio's Main DB. It seems like such a setting could let everybody get what they want.

Putting this in perspective, yes, it's a pretty minor nit. If I was going to spent time changing Sentinel, I'd much rather have it keep Systems/Sites/Depts/Channels in its copy of the FLs linked to their original RR source data in a way that could detect deletions, let us change long names without getting confused and re-adding them back the next Append to FL, etc.

[Thanks for reading these forums; I suspect that that kind of attention to customer feedback is a huge reason why many of us are customers.]

...R

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Dauphin County Prison did not appear in the DB update I did in Sentinel. It did appear in ARC536

phask

Premium Subscriber
So I would have to use ARC as well so I could add a system with no TG listed just so I can try to identify if TG do exist...that is a PITA.

Not really - you can manually use Sentinel to enter a system, you can use Discovery, or use ARC since you already have it.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Trunked systems with a single identified TG also don't show up in Sentinel - at least I've noticed cases where they don't.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
So I was able to get the system on the sds via ARC. There are no TGs on the system yet (only one site). Even if I turn on ID search for the system, I can not use the QK to activate scanning. For example, all of my other QK work great (FQK. SQK) activates/deactivates everything else just fine. The system with no TGs just gives me error beeps when I try to use the QK (in this case 0.12E

Another issue caused by same as above?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

phask

Premium Subscriber
So I was able to get the system on the sds via ARC. There are no TGs on the system yet (only one site). Even if I turn on ID search for the system, I can not use the QK to activate scanning. For example, all of my other QK work great (FQK. SQK) activates/deactivates everything else just fine. The system with no TGs just gives me error beeps when I try to use the QK (in this case 0.12E

Another issue caused by same as above?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Not sure - but just enter a dummy talkgroup.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
Not sure - but just enter a dummy talkgroup.

Still no good. Still get an error when I try to activate the system. It appears in the FL and I can make edits to it on the device, but still the same error. I would just like to be able to try to listen to find the TG on the system. Seems like I can only do that on a Whistler.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
I tried adding 1, then the second channel, to no avail.

BTW - this is for the SDS-100 since when I opened the topic it wasn't listed yet as a device.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber

I think ID SEARCH would be better to have when you input the zipcode than ID SCAN. This allows you to find out all active talkgroups before creating a new favorite's list in Sentinel..

Status
Not open for further replies.