Question about multiple profiles in Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimPikins

I have looked and cannot find an answer, so forgive me if this has been asked multiple times.
Is there a way to have two different profiles with different favorites lists? I have a profile for my 436, and one for my SDS100. There are some things that remain different between the two like target, screen messages, scan selections and service types. The problem I am having is when I add or delete a favorites list on one profile, it makes the same changes on the other. Is there a way to run a different favorites list on each profile?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Download and monitor settings are separate for each profile. Favorite lists are the same in every profile.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The download setting controls which favorite list(s) are sent to the scanner.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I will be utilizing the sds as my main go to scanner when I travel and I was planning on making different profiles for each area I often visit. (Right now it's the TRX-1 and I set up each different area as a separate Scan Set) So if I am understanding this correctly, I cannot change the FLs for each area's profile on the sds? What's a way around that if not making a separate copy of Sentinel for each area so that FLs can be changed?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is NEVER a need to install multiple copies of Sentinel.

A given Favorite list is the same in every profile. But each profile has separate settings for which favorite lists are sent to the scanner.

A simpler/better strategy than multiple profiles would be to have one profile, and separate favorite list(s) for each destination. Favorite lists can be up to 1MB in size, which is big enough for some entire states. It's more than enough for a half-dozen typical counties.

Scan from the full database when traveling, and use GPS and location control even when scanning local favorite lists. Some stuff has a fairly small service radius, and there's no point scanning it if it can't be heard anyway.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It would be real challenging to change profiles on the road. Maybe with changing SD cards, each with its own profile. At any rate, this would be the most cumbersome way.

jonwienke is correct - GPS device is almost essential equipment for any travel scanning. You could change zip code setting every 25/50 miles (range setting would have to be 25/50 too) and you sort of would get the job done, though you might be receiving more than desired. It is the most efficient way of turning "stuff" off and on.

You could create a Favorites List for each state, but that isn't very efficient and a pain to maintain. As you go in one state, turn the FL Quick Key on, and turn the "leaving state" FL Quick Key off. (You could drill this down more by having several FLs for a state, but trying to remember which FL is associated with where could be a problem.)

Lastly you could assign FLs to configuration keys and operate that way. State 1 gets configuration key 1, state 2 gets configuration key 2, etc.

When it comes to profiles, they mostly are there to deal with scanner behavior and general Favorites List things (downloaded, on or off, etc.) and not specific FL behavior (System A on, etc.)

For example, I have two 536 scanners, one in the house the other in my truck. I use the same Favorites Lists for both. But since I have an outdoor antenna at home, I can have more FLs on and attempt to receive distant things than with the truck. Also in the truck, due to mounting, the display is upside down. Therefore I have two 536 profiles, one "house", the other "truck".

Lastly, if you just had to have two iterations of a Favorites List, because you want them to "behave" differently (like listen to cops one way, but not the other) you could do that. I don't advocate it because of possible confusion and maintenance work, but here is how you could in theory. Get your FL all set up. The export it to an HPE file. Then creating a new FL with a different name, use that HPE file to generate the new FL. From there you can fine tune each as desired.

marksmith

It would be real challenging to change profiles on the road. Maybe with changing SD cards, each with its own profile. At any rate, this would be the most cumbersome way.

jonwienke is correct - GPS device is almost essential equipment for any travel scanning. You could change zip code setting every 25/50 miles (range setting would have to be 25/50 too) and you sort of would get the job done, though you might be receiving more than desired. It is the most efficient way of turning "stuff" off and on.

You could create a Favorites List for each state, but that isn't very efficient and a pain to maintain. As you go in one state, turn the FL Quick Key on, and turn the "leaving state" FL Quick Key off. (You could drill this down more by having several FLs for a state, but trying to remember which FL is associated with where could be a problem.)

Lastly you could assign FLs to configuration keys and operate that way. State 1 gets configuration key 1, state 2 gets configuration key 2, etc.

When it comes to profiles, they mostly are there to deal with scanner behavior and general Favorites List things (downloaded, on or off, etc.) and not specific FL behavior (System A on, etc.)

For example, I have two 536 scanners, one in the house the other in my truck. I use the same Favorites Lists for both. But since I have an outdoor antenna at home, I can have more FLs on and attempt to receive distant things than with the truck. Also in the truck, due to mounting, the display is upside down. Therefore I have two 536 profiles, one "house", the other "truck".

Lastly, if you just had to have two iterations of a Favorites List, because you want them to "behave" differently (like listen to cops one way, but not the other) you could do that. I don't advocate it because of possible confusion and maintenance work, but here is how you could in theory. Get your FL all set up. The export it to an HPE file. Then creating a new FL with a different name, use that HPE file to generate the new FL. From there you can fine tune each as desired.
You don't have to go thru the HP2 file route.
Just load one profile, and resale it as a second named profile.

You then have identical profiles. Then modify one to change those things you want to be different.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That would not allow two different versions of the same FL. ofd8001's way would.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Glad I found this thread. I have a couple of related questions to add to it and hoping to receive answers for.

I have created two profiles, one for my 436 and the other for my SDS 100. When starting up the software, the profile that loads is the last profile that was open and used the last time the software was used. That said, lets say I had last used my SDS 100 and then open up the software and I have my 436 that I am going to update. When would I open and change the profile to the 436? Right away when I open the software and before I connect the 436?

I have also noticed that if I use the read from scanner option that, with both scanners, I get a prompt that my favorites list on the computer is different from the scanner and I get asked if I want to over-write it. I always say no because I use the same favorites list using either scanner. What would cause for the software to prompt this every single time? I always do a full database write to the scanner and tell the software to copy the favorites list on the computer to the scanner every single time I make any database updates and favorite list updates in the software, so I would think what is on the scanner and the software would be identical.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I have created two profiles, one for my 436 and the other for my SDS 100. When starting up the software, the profile that loads is the last profile that was open and used the last time the software was used. That said, lets say I had last used my SDS 100 and then open up the software and I have my 436 that I am going to update. When would I open and change the profile to the 436? Right away when I open the software and before I connect the 436?

I don't think it matters one way or another. Just be sure you have the desired profile open before you do any reading from or writing to, the scanner. The same is if you change FL status (download/monitor).

I have also noticed that if I use the read from scanner option that, with both scanners, I get a prompt that my favorites list on the computer is different from the scanner and I get asked if I want to over-write it. I always say no because I use the same favorites list using either scanner. What would cause for the software to prompt this every single time? I always do a full database write to the scanner and tell the software to copy the favorites list on the computer to the scanner every single time I make any database updates and favorite list updates in the software, so I would think what is on the scanner and the software would be identical.

I really can't explain for sure what is going on, other than you may have Avoided a Channel, then Unavoided it - some subtle change that alters a status flag for the file associated with the Favorites List. When you do that read from scanner, Sentinel compares these little changes and if there is a difference, it says more or less "These don't match, which file do you really want to use - the one in the scanner or the one in Sentinel?"

My process is to do what you are - make changes/updates, etc., in Sentinel, then write to scanner.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Cool, thanks. I just made the separate profiles last evening when I updated the SDS to yesterdays' firmware and the new version of software. I will make sure i have the correct profile open before connecting the scanner at the time I open the software.

I didn't think about the avoids. I sometimes do avoid a stuck key channel that seems to happen frequently on one of my DPW channels, but thought these temporary avoids reset themselves upon power off the scanner and then back on. Maybe they last longer than that after being avoided.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You are correct - temporary avoids are "cleared" when powered is cycled. Still there was a change "perceived" somewhere along the way.

Kind of like this: You open an existing file in word processing and just look at it without changes. You close it and you are not prompted to save changes. However, if you add one word but later remove it, then go to close the file, you are prompted to save changes.

Thus the avoid was a change and clearing the avoid was another change.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I want the same exact profile in my SDS100 that I have in my 536, so all I have to do is copy it and change the name on the sds intended profile? Is it really going to be that easy? Please say yes.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I want the same exact profile in my SDS100 that I have in my 536, so all I have to do is copy it and change the name on the sds intended profile? Is it really going to be that easy? Please say yes.

Yes. File Save As the profile to a new name, then change the Target Model to SDS100. The write to scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.