SDS 100 / Sentinel for Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

infredible

I am a newbie and just bought a new SDS100 from Zipscanners. Big Mistake. I am trying to load / run Sentinel and I have it installed on my Windows 7 Desktop machine. When I plugged in the scanner, and it tried to install the drivers ..it fails. And when I run Sentinel it doesn't "see" the scanner. I tried to use ZipScanners tech support WHICH IS TERRIBLE AND ABSOLUTELY USELESS (that's another story) and they told me it will NOT work with Windows 7 because Windows 7 is obsolete. I informed this learned professional at zipscanners that Window7 is still supported by Microsoft and therefore definitely not obsollete and he basically told me I had a very old system and very very few people use Windows7 anymore and I'm a cave man and I'm stupid basically blah blah . Then he told me I have to run Windows 8, NINE, or 10 to have it work. He repeated this over and over. Since there isn't / wasn't any Windows NINE to my knowledge that confirmed that he was useless. Also he INSISTED that I load / run Sentinel on my Mac computer, insisted ...so I did it even know the software is windows only and then when I informed this person that yes, it won't work on the Mac, he ended the Chat ... basically Hung Up on me and won't respond. Can anyone confirm if
1. Sentinel works on Windows 7 just to make sure. I'm pretty sure it does since it runs ...
2. how to get my system to recognize that the scanner is plugged into the computer.
3. any other words of advice. PS . I did demand a return / refund since they sold me something that is unusable and they are trying to charge me a 15% restocking. We shall see about that ... Anyway .. any help appreciated. thanks.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I am a newbie and just bought a new SDS100 from Zipscanners. Big Mistake. I am trying to load / run Sentinel and I have it installed on my Windows 7 Desktop machine. When I plugged in the scanner, and it tried to install the drivers ..it fails. And when I run Sentinel it doesn't "see" the scanner. I tried to use ZipScanners tech support WHICH IS TERRIBLE AND ABSOLUTELY USELESS (that's another story) and they told me it will NOT work with Windows 7 because Windows 7 is obsolete. I informed this learned professional at zipscanners that Window7 is still supported by Microsoft and therefore definitely not obsollete and he basically told me I had a very old system and very very few people use Windows7 anymore and I'm a cave man and I'm stupid basically blah blah . Then he told me I have to run Windows 8, NINE, or 10 to have it work. He repeated this over and over. Since there isn't / wasn't any Windows NINE to my knowledge that confirmed that he was useless. Also he INSISTED that I load / run Sentinel on my Mac computer, insisted ...so I did it even know the software is windows only and then when I informed this person that yes, it won't work on the Mac, he ended the Chat ... basically Hung Up on me and won't respond. Can anyone confirm if
1. Sentinel works on Windows 7 just to make sure. I'm pretty sure it does since it runs ...
2. how to get my system to recognize that the scanner is plugged into the computer.
3. any other words of advice. PS . I did demand a return / refund since they sold me something that is unusable and they are trying to charge me a 15% restocking. We shall see about that ... Anyway .. any help appreciated. thanks.

That is really odd as I use Windows 7 on a few computers to program many radios including the 996 series the x36hp series and the SDS 100. Some times you need to reset the cable for the scanners to be recognized and I don't believe you need and drivers. See if the scanner shows up as an external drive. If it does it will work with Sentinel.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the lower (mini-USB) port?
Are you connecting the radio via a USB hub?
Try connecting directly to the computer.

Is the scanner on? (It has to be powered on)
Do you get the "serial port =." or "mass storage=E" prompt when you plug in the scanner?

Go into Windows device manager.
Click view.
Check show hidden devices.
Look under ports (COM & LPT)
What do you see?

Keep device manager up.
Plug in the radio and press "E" when prompted
Do you see a new serial port, or one that was greyed out become active?

phask

Premium Subscriber
There are no drivers, it sees the SDS same as a mass storage device.

I have ran Sentinel on 7 with no issue, I do not currently as that machine was "retired" in the last year.

Any error message in paticular?

vikingegfd

Premium Subscriber
I run windows 7 64 bit with my sds-100, no problem, It did take awhile to download the driver but that's true of any driver download I do. Once the driver was set up no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.