Lag before computer recognizes USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
When I plug up the SDS100 on my main laptop to update, the computer waits about 90 seconds before recognizing it. The scanner recognizes when USB is plugged in and immediately allows me to choose "Mass Storage" but the computer takes its time before giving me that reassuring dual tone.. I know it's a minor inconvenience but no other USB devices have that same lag. Is there any way to speed it up?

I normally use my old Acer to do all my radio programming but sometimes it's more convenient to use the computer that already up & running.

I'm using a year-old HP running Windows 10.

Ubbe

I have the same 90 seconds with my Whistler. I believed it happen after one of the Window7 updates.
I think Whistler uses the standard Microsoft USB driver but now I always pop out the SD card and use a card USB interface to listen to recordings and program systems. The Uniden 536 still reacts immediately when connecting the USB cable.

Wasn't Uniden supplying a driver of their own? Maybe it could be reinstalled.

/Ubbe

Hit_Factor

When switching to SD host mode, you are asking the SD100 to write everything to a SD (similar to slow hard drive) without corruption. Without corruption is key. Then change modes to host the SD, it's a scanner not a high performance workstation.

I doubt this is a windows thing. If you could get the SDS100 into host mode (without a computer handshake) it would probably mount as quick as any other removable media.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
When switching to SD host mode, you are asking the SD100 to write everything to a SD (similar to slow hard drive) without corruption. Without corruption is key. Then change modes to host the SD, it's a scanner not a high performance workstation.

I doubt this is a windows thing. If you could get the SDS100 into host mode (without a computer handshake) it would probably mount as quick as any other removable media.

I understand what you're saying but I think it's the computer. I can use my little 10-year-old Acer netbook with Windows 7 and it's ready within about 15 seconds. I use this midget for most of my programming needs and have for several years. I have 9 programs that I use for various mobiles, portables and scanners. The battery last about 6.5 hours and I charge it once every couple of months. It's never failed me,

As far as the HP, it could also be the virus or backup software. Right or wrong, I'm using Norton. It permeates the whole computer but it works for me. I'm using Acronis for backup.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Like Ubbe, I have the same situation here with my Whistlers... both on a four-year-old HP ProBook and a new ASUS i5, both running Win10 with 8GB of RAM. I've just learned to live with it... plug it in, then depending on time of day, go grab a cup of coffee or draw a homebrew... when I get back it's ready to go. No worries.

When I plug up the SDS100 on my main laptop to update, the computer waits about 90 seconds before recognizing it. The scanner recognizes when USB is plugged in and immediately allows me to choose "Mass Storage" but the computer takes its time before giving me that reassuring dual tone.. I know it's a minor inconvenience but no other USB devices have that same lag. Is there any way to speed it up?

I normally use my old Acer to do all my radio programming but sometimes it's more convenient to use the computer that already up & running.

I'm using a year-old HP running Windows 10.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Like Ubbe, I have the same situation here with my Whistlers... both on a four-year-old HP ProBook and a new ASUS i5, both running Win10 with 8GB of RAM. I've just learned to live with it... plug it in, then depending on time of day, go grab a cup of coffee or draw a homebrew... when I get back it's ready to go. No worries.

Yeah, it's not right but I guess it's not wrong. It's not broken. It's just cracked a little.

I don't imbibe but I like the coffee idea so I'll learn to live with it.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It's the nature of the beast. My GRE or Whistler models take even longer to display the drive letter when I plug them into my computer. The OS seems to make no difference to me and they are all slow! I've tested on computers without AV software but same lag. It's not quite 90 seconds here and is more like 35 seconds for a GRE design while the Unidens are slightly faster at maybe 25 seconds before ready in mass storage mode. Still slower than a flash drive mount time as Hit_Factor mentioned.

When I plug in a Uniden and select Serial Mode, the serial mode driver loads within maybe 5 to 10 seconds tops and the serial port is ready for communicating with control or monitoring software. So it's the Mass Storage Mode that takes the long time before the radio is displayed as a hard drive on the computer. This mode does NOT use a 3rd party driver. It uses the same built in driver that has been used in Windows darn near since USB support was added back in the Win95 OR2 release or whatever they called it. B or OR2 rings a bell when USB support was added to Windows OS.

USB flash or thumb drives take about 10 seconds here before they mount and show up as a drive letter after I insert one into any USB port, USB 2 or 3.
I'd say the extra time needed for the scanners is probably a limitation of the scanner. It's probably something in the scanner that takes time before it can negotiate with the computer is my guess.

GRE designs are also painfully slow at updating or writing your data back to the radio. Reading is also slow but not as bad as writing! The GRE designs really seem to compare with USB 1.0 or .1 speed specifications. I've always suspected there is something in the GRE USB hardware that limits it to USB 1.1 speeds. Even my newer TRX models are just as slow as any older model. For the GRE radios, you can really see the difference if you mount the SD card in a card USB 2.0 or 3.0 card reader. When your SD card is inserted into a card reader, the software will update the DB or your profile on the card lightning fast when compared with doing it with the SD card in the radio attached to your computer! Even when a card reader is attached to a USB 1.1 port, it is still faster than when doing it with the card still in the radio.

I personally still find removing and placing the SD card into a card reader to be more of a hassle then the slowness you see when in the radio so I still do most of my SD card changes while the SD card is in the radio.
Gives me time to grab a coffee or brew as K9DAK said!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I figured as much. Since the time lag was the only "problem" and the fact that it happened each time I plugged in the scanner, I decided it was "the nature of the beast," as you said. I'll live with it,

Thanx

MCode

Very similar to the early days of USB before all of these printers, cameras, external HDs, flash drives became common place.. Windows had difficulty in recognizing what USB device was being connected.
The problem is 2-fold..
The 1st is the Uniden USB device is a 2.0 and most PCs since 2012 running Windows 10 are 3.0, Windows 10 frequently has difficulty recognizing the 2.0 device.. The 2nd and best solution is to have Uniden revise the software to include a option for the user to "select" either USB 2.0 or 3.0. Most likely in the future Microsoft will improve the auto-detect for USB 3.0, but until they do the USB connectivity problems will continue...

Just my $0.02... ;)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It's not some much a problem as it is an irritant, and a very minor one, at that. Like I said earlier, I'll just live with it as long as it doesn't become a prolonged period of time. If one company or the other fixes it, it'll be a plus.

MCode

It's not some much a problem as it is an irritant, and a very minor one, at that. Like I said earlier, I'll just live with it as long as it doesn't become a prolonged period of time. If one company or the other fixes it, it'll be a plus.

Funny...
On my tower Mac pro computer, running High-Sierra OS and Fusion 10 it loads the Uniden USB instantly no lag at all..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I don't do Macs

Same here!

My computer takes 11 seconds before the SDS shows up as a drive letter when I plug it into a USB 3.0 port.
It takes 9 seconds when plugged into a USB 2.0 port so just a tad quicker.

The SDS100 itself takes 6 seconds before it prompts me to select Serial or Mass Storage modes. So if you count the SDS time to react to being plugged in to a USB port plus the time to show up as a drive letter, it is 15 or 17 seconds not counting the time for me to react and make a selection.

At the same time, if I want Serial mode and actually hit the No button, it shows up as an active com port in just 3 seconds after I hit No for Serial Mode. Going into Mass Storage is a bit slower.
The speed to show the active serial port is about the same regardless if plugged into a USB 3.0 or 2.0 port.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it's just a quirk with this series of HPs. It's never failed to recognize the scanner so I'm good.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it's just a quirk with this series of HPs. It's never failed to recognize the scanner so I'm good.

Being reliable is the main thing for sure!

Anyway, I'd downgraded to the oldest Main and Sub firmware versions known.

While I had the old firmware loaded, I noticed right away that the time for the SDS100 to present me with the option to select Y or N for Mass or Serial modes is cut down to 2 seconds from 6 seconds in the latest Beta firmware versions. I tried the latest Official firmware version now and it is also at 6 seconds. So something in these newer firmware versions has slowed down how long the SDS takes to detect that you plugged in a USB cable. The time to appear as a drive letter is also faster with the oldest FW version but by only a second or two.

I don't know why the newest official and beta firmwares are slower for USB operations but they are.
I could see it in the beta as it could have some debug code running but the official release version should not.
The main difference I do see is NXDN was not supported in the oldest firmware. Not certain when that was added but that may be when USB ops slowed down as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.